Author Topic: BCM 600 route question  (Read 2835 times)

BCM 600 route question
« on: 10 May, 2010, 09:49:48 pm »
Am just looking at the routesheet.  I accidentally have the scenic, despite (I think) entering the 2004.  Few questions:

1.  I'm assuming that the 2004 shoots up to Rhayader on the A470 and then follows the A44 to nearly Aberystwth before cutting up to the A487 all the way up to near Dolgellau?

2.  On the return from Menai, why does the route go back into Penrhyndaedraeth, rather than cutting the corner off by taking the B4410 through Rhyd to Maentwrog?

3.  Does the 2004 go through Pandy, cutting out a big chunk of the A470 on the way to Aberhafesp?

4.   Does the 2004 join the road back to Monmouth at Wormelow or does everyone have to do that mental stuff through Garway Hill?

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Re: BCM 600 route question
« Reply #1 on: 10 May, 2010, 09:52:03 pm »
'Tis a sign, telling you to do the Scenic.

H

« Reply #2 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:10:50 pm »
Oh bugger....

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:11:32 pm »
1) yes more or less
2) just a guess (ask mr sheep) but it looks less lumpy and only adds 4 or 5 k. Has it been this way recently?   I am always surprised to be on the A470 and wonder if the route was slightly different the first time I did it.  Or maybe I am just tripping
3) no, but that is a shit road.  It's quicker/safer/less muddy on the A470.  Good road if you want to buy a wood burning stove.  Otherwise avoid.

« Reply #4 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:15:56 pm »
Main roads in Wales take the often circuitous route they do for good reason...

« Reply #5 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:17:19 pm »
Cheers Jamie.  When I rode it on my own last year I took that road to through Rhyd, really dont remember it being bumpy, but there is a luxury bus shelter down there I think.

Think I might take that road through Pandy anyhoo as it isn't hilly and is quite pretty

« Reply #6 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:18:00 pm »

To separate the men from the boys?

:D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #7 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:23:04 pm »
Cheers Jamie.  When I rode it on my own last year I took that road to through Rhyd, really dont remember it being bumpy, but there is a luxury bus shelter down there I think.

Think I might take that road through Pandy anyhoo as it isn't hilly and is quite pretty

One year everyone missed the turn to Pandy because the routesheet said "R at telephone box" but it had been removed a couple of days before

That road is probably nice on a summers day but it has been raining ....I think I have made myself clear...

Hummers

« Reply #8 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:24:13 pm »
The Scenic version over the Elan reservoirs as a means of cutting over to the A 487 is worth doing although it can be a bit breezy.

H

« Reply #9 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:26:24 pm »
Yeah, did it in 2007, but this year want to try to be in Menai by 6pm-ish.  The main road option is crap, but probably an hour quicker

vistaed

• Everyday stories
« Reply #10 on: 10 May, 2010, 10:26:48 pm »
The Scenic version over the Elan reservoirs as a means of cutting over to the A 487 is worth doing although it can be a bit breezy.

H

And wet!
after hardship comes ease -
 www.strava.com/athletes/188220

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #11 on: 11 May, 2010, 07:25:45 am »

H

And wet!

I remember hailstones the size o' fak'in golf balls last year.... well, slight exageration, but there were hailstorms at the top.  :-\

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #12 on: 11 May, 2010, 07:29:23 am »

H

And wet!

Unless you are Jesus.  In which case you float over the top keeping your beard and sandals dry.

Hummers

« Reply #13 on: 11 May, 2010, 08:34:00 am »

H

And wet!

I remember hailstones the size o' fak'in golf balls last year.... well, slight exageration, but there were hailstorms at the top.  :-\

Yes and how romantic was that, Bob?

H

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #14 on: 11 May, 2010, 08:53:17 am »

H

And wet!

Yes and how romantic was that, Bob?

H

The essence of romance is somewhat lost when you are on your tod... well, there are ways and means I guess, but let's not digress.  ;)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #15 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:06:55 am »
One of my better decisions last year was to leave my Carradice Tour at Dolgellau whilst I did the the Menaii loop.

One of my poorer decisions was to leave my buff in the bag (an overnight 200km in North Wales? Why would I need any headgear?). On the way out (about 6pm when Flatus was descending towards Menaii) a hailstorm hit with such force it felt like somebody was pounding my scalp with knitting needles. Ouchy!

« Reply #16 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:20:50 am »

To separate the men from the boys?

:D

No.  To separate the boys and men from the sheep.

« Reply #17 on: 11 May, 2010, 09:28:54 am »

I suspect your recollection might be a bit fuzzy there.  It's easier travelling south than it is travelling north on that road, but it is indeed lumpy.  The bus shelter is on the junction with the main road, but if you intend to be in Menai Bridge by 6pm you shouldn't be needing it.

« Reply #18 on: 11 May, 2010, 11:12:09 am »
Am just looking at the routesheet.  I accidentally have the scenic, despite (I think) entering the 2004.  Few questions:
1.  I'm assuming that the 2004 shoots up to Rhayader on the A470 and then follows the A44 to nearly Aberystwth before cutting up to the A487 all the way up to near Dolgellau?
2.  On the return from Menai, why does the route go back into Penrhyndaedraeth, rather than cutting the corner off by taking the B4410 through Rhyd to Maentwrog?
3.  Does the 2004 go through Pandy, cutting out a big chunk of the A470 on the way to Aberhafesp?
4.   Does the 2004 join the road back to Monmouth at Wormelow or does everyone have to do that mental stuff through Garway Hill?
Answers:-
1. Yes that assumption is correct.
2. Because it will be dark and it will actually be quicker on the main roads, no-one will find you when you go off the lanes following one or the other hills..
3. The "2004" doesn't go through Pandy, but follows the A470. The 470 is only about 1 km longer and the route is easier to follow, the scenic route is there for those that want to experience even more pretty/quiet scenery.
4 The "2004" does join the A466 at Wormelow Tump, an goes all the way to Monmouth.
I will send you the correct route sheet, I'm sorry that received a Scenic version - not sure how that happened.

Roll-on 2012.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Hummers

« Reply #19 on: 11 May, 2010, 11:32:02 am »

I will send you the correct route sheet, I'm sorry that received a Scenic version - not sure how that happened.

Mark, he probably entered it and not the 2004.

This is just attention seeking.

H

« Reply #20 on: 11 May, 2010, 12:06:46 pm »
Mark don't worry about sending a new sheet. You could email it or leave it at the start.

« Reply #21 on: 11 May, 2010, 01:42:49 pm »
That road through Rhyd is a special of the sadistic Mr Undulates on the Irish mail albeit the otherway.  Lumpy is understating it a bit - it's an effing mountain... 

Should be mandatory for all of the mille cymru warm up brigade.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #22 on: 11 May, 2010, 03:39:56 pm »
..... I took that road through Rhyd, really dont remember it being bumpy

blimey...

JohnHamilton

« Reply #23 on: 11 May, 2010, 07:48:21 pm »
That road through Rhyd is a special of the sadistic Mr Undulates on the Irish mail albeit the otherway.  Lumpy is understating it a bit - it's an effing mountain... 

Should be mandatory for all of the mille cymru warm up brigade.

AC
Lumpy is definitely understating it going S-N. It's like a ski jump in reverse. You can all thank Graham "Mills the Hills" for introducing me to that one (along with most of the other "undulations" in N Wales).

You'll get to experience it the other way on the MC1K.