Author Topic: Mildenhall Rally 2010  (Read 47603 times)

Re: Mildenhall Rally 2010
« Reply #275 on: 31 August, 2010, 08:48:42 pm »
My Mildenhall was mainly the 300...

Loitering at the start

Desperately trying to keep up with the 4 chaps that shot off after Quy

Reaching Diss with average speed over 30kph, and finding the control closed.

On the Reedham Ferry

Arriving at Mundesley

Egg & chips at Jonet's

MTrike's mate's Bob Jackson. Phwoar.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #276 on: 31 August, 2010, 09:07:40 pm »
I don't think any of them in the dark is me. 

Nice to meet you and meet/remeet loads of other people. (Inc all the non-yacf folks I see once a year at the cycle rally). 

I had a lovely time apart from the cold.  At one point I was wearing 7 layers and huddled over a brazier and still cold.  I have a sneaking suspicion that the cold shower (it was lukewarm when I got in and cold by the time my hair was full of shampoo) didn't help matters.

Many thanks to the folks who offered and loaned extra layers.  I am still a bit chilly, cocoa beckons.

I managed to get down to 2 layers on the ride back to Ipswich.

I am wondering if my 2 will be inspired to a similar feat next year to Tomsk's two. 
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #277 on: 01 September, 2010, 09:08:59 am »
After the Great Tenner Handover (refers)

Reg and I were discussing climatic conditions and, particularly, where the driest place in Britain was. Reg maintained it was somewhere in Cambridgeshire (which I think was right for a 30 year period in the late 20th century) but during the previous 30 years I maintained that it was Great Wakering, just down the road from me.

National Meteorological Fact Sheet no. 9 maintains that it is St. Osyth, Essex, although it doesn't seem clear over what timescale.

No money changed hands over this issue.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #278 on: 01 September, 2010, 09:25:59 am »
My 1986 edition of The Guinness Book of Records lists Shoeburyness, Essex as the driest place in the UK.....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #279 on: 01 September, 2010, 09:32:34 am »
When I was at school people always said East Anglia had the same rainfall as Israel. i.e. quite dry.

I have thought since that this doesn't mean very much given the story of the Big Flood originates from that area....
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #280 on: 01 September, 2010, 09:35:17 am »
Well, the Flood story comes from the Epic of Gilgamesh, which would be situated more in Iraq, so flooding wouldn't necessarily be from local rainfall, which is what we (and the Biblical writers) infer, but from the overloading of the Great Rivers upstream.
Getting there...

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #281 on: 01 September, 2010, 09:46:23 am »
Well, the Flood story comes from the Epic of Gilgamesh, which would be situated more in Iraq, so flooding wouldn't necessarily be from local rainfall, which is what we (and the Biblical writers) infer, but from the overloading of the Great Rivers upstream.

East Anglia's connected with Iraq?  :o

Well... I suppose most Essex towns on a Friday night appear to be twinned with Baghdad.   ;D
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #282 on: 01 September, 2010, 09:57:27 am »
Another rain fact:

Sydney has twice as much annual rainfall as London. More days of cricket are lost to rain at the SCG than they are at Lord's.

None of my Aussie chums believe me though  ::-)
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #283 on: 01 September, 2010, 12:44:11 pm »
WHO says E Anglia is a "semi-arid zone"

I thought the big flood originated from the black sea suddenly getting a lot deeper
and they found Atlantis, it got covered in mud when a river decided to change course

but I am going OT
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #284 on: 01 September, 2010, 03:27:26 pm »
Got this from Kevin

Please let it be known .....................that  a fantastic prize or two or three will be rewarded  to any recumbent rider .............attending the Mildenhall Rally who dares to fit a "Barbie " hooter  or "Barbie"  handle bar streamers to their recumbent on the day !!!  .............I thought it might add a little fun !""£$$%%$££!!

For anyone who missed it, I've explained the award-winning Barbie cannon, with photos, here.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #285 on: 01 September, 2010, 03:28:32 pm »
What was the reward?

« Reply #286 on: 01 September, 2010, 07:16:51 pm »
What was the reward?
Kim had the same reward, sans a cuppa, that bottlemasher and I received for helping Kevin dump that thing persuade Greg to purchase that fine trailer tent. It was a nommy bun.

Regulator

« Reply #287 on: 01 September, 2010, 07:18:08 pm »
What was the reward?
Kim had the same reward, sans a cuppa, that bottlemasher and I received for helping Kevin dump that thing persuade Greg to purchase that fine trailer tent. It was a nommy bun.

I'll have you know that I've had several generous offers to purchase it from - none of which I shall be taking up.

Green Party Councillor

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #288 on: 01 September, 2010, 07:29:00 pm »
Ah, but the key question is: will you be taking up cycling? :P

« Reply #289 on: 24 September, 2010, 06:01:18 pm »
FAO Regulator

There is a picture and brief description of your trailer in the latest Fell Club magazine  :)

« Reply #290 on: 24 September, 2010, 06:09:56 pm »
There is a picture and brief description of your trailer in the latest Fell Club magazine  :)
Is that the article where the tears from laughter have been printed as a, sort of, background image?   ;)

Regulator

« Reply #291 on: 25 September, 2010, 10:37:47 am »
FAO Regulator

Ooh - is there an online link?

Is that the article where the tears from laughter have been printed as a, sort of, background image?   ;)

::-)

Priscilla is offended.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #292 on: 25 September, 2010, 12:36:41 pm »
FAO Regulator

Ooh - is there an online link?

Not that I know of  :-\

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #293 on: 25 September, 2010, 12:45:58 pm »