Author Topic: Waterproof a Garmin screen with a crack?  (Read 3439 times)

Nonsteeler

• If nothing goes wrong, I go wrong.
    • Elsewhere
Waterproof a Garmin screen with a crack?
« on: 18 May, 2010, 01:57:29 pm »
The BCM had a not so nice ending for my GPS :-\. Just as I was packing my bike, my Garmin Edge 705 slipped through my fingers  :facepalm:  and hit the ground in front of Bulwark Community Centre. Now the screen has a crack but apart from that the unit seems to work. See:

The unit is well out of the warranty time and I kind of need it at the end of next week for the Kernow and Southwest audax ride (... I am sort of route-sheet illiterate). Do you have any good ideas how I can waterproof the screen while still being able to read it? Translucent lacquer or something like that? What I have read so far says: replace the screen or the whole unit...
Sadly, melancholy doesn't pay my rent.

The Mechanic

Re: Waterproof a Garmin screen with a crack?
« Reply #1 on: 18 May, 2010, 02:01:40 pm »
I suggest you have a talk to Garmin.  All reports are that they are very good in hte aftersales department.  You never know, they may send you a new one.

JJ

« Reply #2 on: 18 May, 2010, 02:03:52 pm »
When my screen cracked a coupld of years ago, they charged me £40 and sent me a refurbished one in exchanged by return of post.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #3 on: 18 May, 2010, 02:04:22 pm »
I would expect a normal (vacuum fit) screen protector to keep water and everything out.

garmin edge 705 protector - Google Product Search

eBay
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4 on: 18 May, 2010, 02:14:36 pm »
I second that - screen protector as a stopgap measure (I would recommend them in general - they've saved my Garmins from many minor scratches from being stuffed in a bag with other items over the years), and ask Garmin nicely.

Nonsteeler

• Elsewhere
« Reply #5 on: 18 May, 2010, 02:29:35 pm »
I second that - screen protector as a stopgap measure (I would recommend them in general - they've saved my Garmins from many minor scratches from being stuffed in a bag with other items over the years), and ask Garmin nicely.
I would expect a normal (vacuum fit) screen protector to keep water and everything out.
Thanks Mechanic, Biggsy, Kim and JJ for your quick replies. I just wrote a nice email to Garmin via their service interface asking how much the repair would cost (and clearly indicating that the fault was my fault).
I'll buy one of these screen protectors which hopefully will get me and the little way foreboder around Cornwall, Devon, Dorset and Somerset safely at the end of May. If the repair costs are reasonable I'll send the unit off afterwards. Will keep you informed.

« Reply #6 on: 18 May, 2010, 02:49:07 pm »
My garmin e-map was not waterproof and orange juice went all over it (don't ask how) as they were near me I took it round to see if they could do anything with it, "yes in the bin" but you can have another one for £84 it was a recon, but is was like brand new with a guarantee as well

Chris N

« Reply #7 on: 18 May, 2010, 03:21:52 pm »
Cling film. :thumbsup:

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #8 on: 18 May, 2010, 03:24:17 pm »
AUK standard issue ziplock bag?

Nonsteeler

• Elsewhere
« Reply #9 on: 18 May, 2010, 04:57:47 pm »
Just got email from Garmin saying:
Unfortunately we don't do repairs, however we do have a replacement service instead.  You can send your unit to us to be replaced with an as-new refurbished model with a full year warranty on it at a cost of £99.99 GBP inc VAT.  Unfortunately we are not able to offer an upgrade or part exchange.

So I can work with zip-bags, cling foil etc until the machine gives up the ghost for good (probably at the most suiting time, as always) spend then a 100 quid, or the thing last until I discover new GPS needs and thus buying a fancier replacement, or I spend a 100 quid right now for the peace of mind... the choice is yours :-\.

« Reply #10 on: 18 May, 2010, 05:15:17 pm »
Has the crack actually penetrated right through? Could be surface only and therefore just cosmetic. I also think a screen protector is the best medium term solution for you.

« Reply #11 on: 18 May, 2010, 05:49:30 pm »
I think at a £100 is a good offer seeing it was your fault

Nonsteeler

• Elsewhere
« Reply #12 on: 19 May, 2010, 08:12:08 am »
Has the crack actually penetrated right through?

I believe so. I applied a bit of pressure and I think it gave way a bit. Of course, wasn't pressing too hard...

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #13 on: 19 May, 2010, 05:20:13 pm »
Try one of the windscreen chip repair guys?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

Zoidburg

« Reply #14 on: 19 May, 2010, 05:44:52 pm »
If the crack does not run right to the edge I would use fablon laminate to cover it.

Wilkinsons sell it.

« Reply #15 on: 19 May, 2010, 08:52:02 pm »
Try one of the windscreen chip repair guys?

I thought about one of those DIY windscreen repair kits, but I assumed that if you squirted the mixture into the crack it would just end up between the LED screen and the plastic and create a mess??

Nonsteeler

• Elsewhere
« Reply #16 on: 14 June, 2010, 08:58:22 am »
Just to round this thread up: I put a screen protector (bought on ebay) on the screen. Before using the unit at the KSW I gave it a fair rinse under the kitchen tap. Also the first 200km of the KSW were rather wet. The unit is still working, hence the screen protector may work (this is also what I believe). However I can't be sure if the screen was not thoroughly broken (in the first place) and therefore has never been not waterproof. Also I did not submerge the unit completely in water...

Here is a picture, taken yesterday: