Author Topic: Etrex switching off.  (Read 7574 times)

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
Re: Etrex switching off.
« Reply #25 on: 04 June, 2010, 11:51:50 pm »
Seems like if you're riding with this much rattle, you need a plusher ride.  O:-)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #26 on: 05 June, 2010, 11:50:03 am »
I've found that mounting my 60CSx on a long Spacegrip instead of directly on the handlebars works well to prevent turn off.

Apparently some people have wired a capacitor between the 2 pcb contacts to keep the GPS powered until the sprung contacts regain their connection.

« Reply #27 on: 07 June, 2010, 01:42:24 pm »
Yesterday was my Legend C's very last outing.  It's my third, the previous two being warranty replacements when Garmin denied there was a problem with the circuit board power connection.

I've tried a variety of ways to try to fix the vibration - packing the mount to give a firmer fit, trying the oversize bar mount with old-inner-tube packing, all to no avail.  Yesterday we went for 50km with no problem, then it started shutting down regularly, so by 100km I'd decided to put it in my saddlebag.  I think it'll be in the bin next.

I've noticed before that it's fine to start with, implying that fresher batteries are helpful.  But these were fresh battteries at the start, and 50k took about 2 hours, and I know the batteries are good for a lot longer than that.

Flatus's 705 clearly worked well for him yesterday (notwithstanding that the gpx route he had and the routesheet varied at several places!), so I'll be looking at getting one of those, I think.

« Reply #28 on: 07 June, 2010, 01:50:37 pm »

I've tried a variety of ways to try to fix the vibration - packing the mount to give a firmer fit, trying the oversize bar mount with old-inner-tube packing, all to no avail.  Yesterday we went for 50km with no problem, then it started shutting down regularly, so by 100km I'd decided to put it in my saddlebag.  I think it'll be in the bin next.

If you are going to bin it I'll have it. I'd like to try to modify a Vista C but don't want to permanently damage the one I already have. How much would you want for it ?

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #29 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:07:07 pm »
We want pictures!!

The 'instructable' here suggests a 470uf capacitor, but I reckon something much smaller would do it - 47uf tantalum, or so.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #30 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:13:22 pm »
We want pictures!!

The 'instructable' here suggests a 470uf capacitor, but I reckon something much smaller would do it - 47uf tantalum, or so.
that's one of my ideas but I have no idea about capacitors, which one I ought to use or even where to source only one. Hence I don't want to try it on a (kind of) working device and totally bugger it up. The Vista C seems to have room physically to fit a capacitor and I think I know where to connect it.

« Reply #31 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:19:07 pm »

I've tried a variety of ways to try to fix the vibration - packing the mount to give a firmer fit, trying the oversize bar mount with old-inner-tube packing, all to no avail.  Yesterday we went for 50km with no problem, then it started shutting down regularly, so by 100km I'd decided to put it in my saddlebag.  I think it'll be in the bin next.

If you are going to bin it I'll have it. I'd like to try to modify a Vista C but don't want to permanently damage the one I already have. How much would you want for it ?
I've just modified my post, as I realised it's a Legend, not a Vista that I have.  If you're still interested, when I've decided on its replacement (and assuming I don't have a go at the mod myself) I'll probably part with it for the postage - as it is it has no value to me.

So no promises, but you have first refusal.

« Reply #32 on: 07 June, 2010, 02:26:06 pm »

I've just modified my post, as I realised it's a Legend, not a Vista that I have.  If you're still interested, when I've decided on its replacement (and assuming I don't have a go at the mod myself) I'll probably part with it for the postage - as it is it has no value to me.

So no promises, but you have first refusal.
Please keep me in mind when have replaced it if you would.

Seems the only difference between the Vista C & Legend C is the barometric altimeter and electronic compass. I may strike it lucky and find the construction the same.

« Reply #33 on: 09 June, 2010, 10:54:55 am »
We want pictures!!

Not mine but this is exactly what I am thinking about doing

Para los que se os apague solo el gps garmin

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #34 on: 09 June, 2010, 11:47:16 am »
Well that seems a much more obvious approach, than adding a capacitor.

Then again, some people don't like to be obvious ... so, if adding a C, well it has to be a polarised type, and it has to be physically very small, which makes the tantalum bead type the best choice for the job.

I might be inclined to replace that small battery on the circuit board, while the unit is opened up.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #35 on: 09 June, 2010, 04:57:54 pm »
Did it to mine this afternoon, same as that Spanish chap did. Blogged it.

dying to get out and try it now.

« Reply #36 on: 09 June, 2010, 08:21:27 pm »
There must be a rash of this problem, perhaps it is those post-winter potholes. I did this to my Legend HCX earlier in the week, and followed this guide that has pictures and a good walkthrough. Looks like a ribbon connector may be present on some models.

« Reply #37 on: 09 June, 2010, 09:12:43 pm »
That's an excellent page. I'd not found that one before.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #38 on: 13 June, 2010, 11:39:43 am »
Mine doesn't switch off, but occasionally freezes.  Removing a battery is the only way to reset it.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #39 on: 13 June, 2010, 02:49:53 pm »
Ah, so the switching off is a design feature to deal with the freezes then?

« Reply #40 on: 14 June, 2010, 06:41:07 pm »
Mine doesn't switch off, but occasionally freezes.  Removing a battery is the only way to reset it.

My fix worked, just done 290km with no unplanned switch offs, but i find now that if it loses signal because I am in doors, it freezes once it gets going again. I suppose it's busy doing something and not responding to the UI.

colclimber

« Reply #41 on: 18 June, 2010, 12:25:52 am »
I solved the vibration problem on my Etrex Legend by applying silicone grease to the battery contact springs.