Author Topic: Uncontrollable shakes  (Read 3829 times)

Zoidburg

Re: Uncontrollable shakes
« Reply #25 on: 13 July, 2010, 05:28:31 pm »
It was dehydration.

I have seen and experienced it before.

I also note the OP mentions an infection, antibiotics can exacerbate dehydration as well.

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #26 on: 13 July, 2010, 05:32:00 pm »
Useful info here. When we were tandeming the Galibier a fortnight ago, I got uncontrollable shakes at the summit cafe. I'd assumed this was purely because it was bloomin' freezing up there and I was soaked though  ;) but I was likely also low on blood sugar (we found we'd forgotten to take any cash and only minimal bonk supplies, just before embarking on the 2300m climb...) so this could well have contributed. (I don't normally shiver that much from cold alone).
Certainly, after blagging a cup of coffee and upturning the sugar bowl into it, I was a lot better.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 13 July, 2010, 05:57:58 pm »
Shaking/shivering can be multifactorial and I don't necessarily think ascribing an episode to a single cause is helpful.

Looks to me like thing1 was sweating and hypoglycaemic and may also have been dry.
Looks like the OP had several factors, including infection, occurring.

Zoidburg

« Reply #28 on: 13 July, 2010, 06:08:24 pm »
I only know what it is from experience.

People focus a bit too much on the famed low blood sugar bonk, if you ignore hydration and your electrolytes then you collapse.

Keep an eye on your wee, if you aren't needing to wee and if it is too dark at the few times when you do then you are going to be in trouble.