Author Topic: Buildings and contents insurance recommendations please.  (Read 1065 times)

Buildings and contents insurance recommendations please.
« on: 28 October, 2012, 11:36:17 am »
Just that.  Our renewal is due in a week and our current provider has hired the premium by over 20%.   Sort of pisses you off when you've never made a claim.   >:(

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Buildings and contents insurance recommendations please.
« Reply #1 on: 28 October, 2012, 12:11:27 pm »
M&S, because they're the only one with a sensible policy for expensive cycles.   :-\

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2 on: 28 October, 2012, 12:28:23 pm »
Check that one carefully - I've seen posts either here or on CycleChat  that M&S are changing that policy for new customers
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2012, 01:17:36 pm »
They did.  We nearly got bitten.  Also, they're flippin' expensive and work through AXA.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 28 October, 2012, 03:29:55 pm »
Call the existing insurer and tell them you want a better deal .... they're likely to lop about 12-15% off if you threaten to cancel.

We have separate buildings and contents policies with the same insure 'cos it's less than a combined policy (WTF?) ... just reduced the contents by 14% against the renewal notice, waiting for the buildings renewal to arrive in the next few days when I shall be making "my annual phone call" as I told them !

Rob

« Reply #5 on: 28 October, 2012, 03:44:02 pm »
Plenty of price comparison sites out there?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: 28 October, 2012, 03:49:57 pm »
I have an inside track to the existing insurer.  No discounts available but apparently if we cancel and switch to their online service we will save 40% for exactly the same cover.  ???

« Reply #7 on: 28 October, 2012, 06:36:23 pm »
Have a chat to Sainsbury's, they were happy to discuss bikes on the policy.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #8 on: 01 November, 2012, 08:56:20 pm »
Well, we've going to save over £300 for the same level of cover using moneysavingexpert.com.   Even our current insurer* was listed at a £260 saving over what they quoted us for renewal.   I say 'going' because I'll sort it tomorrow.   My first call will be to our existing insurer* to see if they can match what it says online.   Somehow I doubt it.

I have now created a annual diary event to renew the buildings and contents insurance.   One hour of work seems to be very much worth it.   

*  Not naming any names but one of our esteemed 'not leaders' and my youngest son both work for them!

« Reply #9 on: 01 November, 2012, 09:06:50 pm »
The NFU is worth checking out if you are reasonably rural.