Author Topic: Cycling: dangerously Commie  (Read 1356 times)

Julian

• samoture
Cycling: dangerously Commie
« on: 05 August, 2010, 10:10:40 pm »
The Tea Party.  Aren't they great?  Just one grassroots movement, bravely facing up to a nation under threat from this president who keeps doing rash things like trying to get health care instead of sensible things like invading Afghanistan.  Anything they see that looks like communism, they'll not hesitate to let y'all know.  They're all about that pioneering spirit, where the strong rise high.

And what could be more of a threat to that American pioneering spirit than a shared bicycle scheme?

Bike-sharing scheme might look environmentally friendly and great fun, but the truth is far more sinister.  It's a step towards communism, and if you think it looks harmless?  Well, says Dan Maes darkly, that's what they want you to think.

Has anybody told Comrade Boris?

;D

Zoidburg

Re: Cycling: dangerously Commie
« Reply #1 on: 05 August, 2010, 10:22:05 pm »
Borris is the patrician of a city state.

Politics be damned, one man one vote and that man is Borris.

I liked it when he told the motor cyclists to stop demonstrating about losing free parking or he would ban the buggers from using bus lanes as well.

;D

The Tea Party are a far right racist movement at heart and a lot of former supporters have been breaking links with them as it becomes more clear that they are bunch of tin foil hat wearing neo-nazis who hi-jacked the post election panic among the conservative fundies - "oh my god we have a blackman in charge! somebody think of the children!".

The UN controlled federal storm troopers failed to materialize at their doors in the dead of night to pack them all off to re-education camps as promised- as a result they all realised they had been had by the tea party and shuffled off looking sheepish.

« Reply #2 on: 05 August, 2010, 11:38:48 pm »
 :-[

Judging from the comments after the linked article, and the comments I've heard elsewhere, not to many people are taking this nutcase seriously.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 06 August, 2010, 02:25:55 am »
Hopefully so, but I'd expect the comments on that site to be depreciative, it is called "Think Progress". Whether they're saying the same in "middle America" or more relevantly in Colorado, is what matters most directly.

But yes, the guy is clearly a nutter grabbing at straws to try and spoil an opponent.

However, I found the phrase "converting Denver into a United Nations community" telling. It's that kind of institution which the rest of the world regards as fundamentally right and well-meaning, even if somewhat inept and even corrupt in practice, which these loonies think of as being some kind of inherent threat to their freedom. They seem to equate any form of cooperation, especially international cooperation, with communism. I suppose on that logic, a bicycle sharing scheme really is reds on wheels.

Hmm, I wonder what they'd make of this beer
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2010, 10:59:05 am »
...Has anybody told Comrade Boris?

;D

No one needs to.

Quote from: Mayor of London
It took a Conservative to do a deeply deeply Communist thing
Getting there...

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2010, 11:10:30 am »
Another Boris gem was

Quote from: Boris
In 1904, 20% of journeys were made by bicycle in London. I want to see that kind of figure again.  If you can’t turn the clock back to 1904, ladies and gentlemen, what is the point of being a Conservative?

For all that he's more than a bit of a shit, he's always good value.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2010, 11:11:51 am »
Borris is the patrician of a city state.

That demands fan-art of Boris as The Patrician!

Also: Tea Party are a fact-free froth zone. Le chortle, comrades.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2010, 11:16:22 am »
Of course cycling is a Commie pursuit. Everyone knows that red bikes go faster.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2010, 11:23:58 am »
Another Boris gem was

Quote from: Boris
In 1904, 20% of journeys were made by bicycle in London. I want to see that kind of figure again.  If you can’t turn the clock back to 1904, ladies and gentlemen, what is the point of being a Conservative?

For all that he's more than a bit of a shit, he's always good value.

:D

I must confess to having a bit more respect for Boris after he confronted and chased off a woman's attackers, and some other incident where he stood up to the ne'er-do-wells.
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.