Author Topic: Right bright lights  (Read 10068 times)

Re: Right bright lights
« Reply #75 on: 15 September, 2010, 11:04:45 am »
I don't forsee any problems myself except...
I've always had to bend the steel wire brackets (that come with IQ lights. And why doesn't the Fly come with a long bracket like the Cyo???) to get a good fit around the headset  cup and gear cables. And if you are using dual pivot brakes on your back up bike, you'll need a longer nut, to compensate for the spacer that is necessary to clear the bracket of the headset. They're a couple of £ from Planet X.

Thanks, it's v-brakes and it also looks like it'll be two Edelux, I decided I might as well, the overall spend is so high that it doesn't seem that much more.
Nuns, no sense of humour

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #76 on: 15 September, 2010, 01:10:43 pm »
Now - rechargeable batteries! How quality is Quality? I have some Energizer thingies that seem fine for other high-power items like digital cameras. I'll give them a go and see what happens. Otherwise - are there better ones or does brand not matter? Is it all about the mAhs (whatever they are)?
I have seen people on here recommending things from 7DayShop but I have had nothing but rubbish from them so I don't think I'll go back.

NiMHs seems to be one of those unusual cases where you do not necessarily get what you pay for.  So I would say don't be gulled by high-profile brand names or high price tags.  Do go for the highest mAh labelling you can find, because although these labels aren't very realistic (typically 300-400 higher than real-world test results), there does seem to be a correlation (just about) and so the higher the better.

The main problem, with any 4-cell device (such as the Hope light) is that in any blister pack of 4 that you buy, the odds are that one cell will be a bit (or even a lot) 'weak'.  With a 3-cell light, its easy - after a while you can identify the weakest cell and throw it away.  With a 4-cell light, IMO the best strategy is to buy 2 cheap (say sub-£6) 4-cell packs and identify the best 4 cells out of the 8, throwing the rest away or using them in your TV remote.  I think this is better than spending £12+ on one 4-pack.

Regarding the 'hybrid' types - this is a simple choice based on your expected usage - if you expect to recharge your cells more than once a week (as I suggest you would, commuting with a Hope), use the higher-capacity non-hybrid type - if your usage will be lighter than that (eg, in a back light maybe), then the hybrid type is the better choice.
(I would add that the hybrid capacities, though lower, seem to be more 'honest' than the non-hybrid types.)

Of course as mentioned elsewhere it's all about the charging regime.  You need to be organised, and just a little bit anal, to get the best out of any NiMHs.  They do thrive on exercise - have fewer sets of cells 'on the go' - eg alternate between two sets - rather than more - it's worse than pointless to have a drawer-full of cells that only get an outing once every 2 months.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #77 on: 15 September, 2010, 08:07:32 pm »
I've been using one of these for a year now, as a disc compatible dynamo hub.

Shimano S501 Alfine Dynamo Wheel For Rim and Disc Brake - Front | Wheels Road | Cycle - Cycle Sports UK

Zoidburg

« Reply #78 on: 15 September, 2010, 08:09:36 pm »
I can't fault the Aldi AA rechargables to be honest, they work very well in the head torch giving a full run time - even though the head torch has a low voltage cut out.

Zoidburg

« Reply #79 on: 17 September, 2010, 08:55:05 am »
Fenix have released new no frills 2xAA light.

Fenix E21 AA LED Torch | FenixTorch.co.uk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #80 on: 17 September, 2010, 11:22:15 am »
Fenix have released new no frills 2xAA light.

Fenix E21 AA LED Torch | FenixTorch.co.uk

Is it a light? Is it a torch? No its an
outdoor illumination tool
!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Steve Kish

• World's No. 1 moaner about the weather.
« Reply #81 on: 17 September, 2010, 11:46:15 am »
FWIW, the best rechargeable NiMH aa batteries I've used are Ansmann 2700.
Old enough to know better!

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #82 on: 21 September, 2010, 09:52:27 pm »
Wow. That light is bright

Just waiting for the dark now!!
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical