Author Topic: Air cars  (Read 3851 times)

Re: Air cars
« Reply #25 on: 29 October, 2010, 01:20:59 pm »
I'm guessing that they use small-diameter cyclinders, spun at very high speed.

If you used two cyclinders, counter-rotating, wouldn't they cancel out each other's gyro effects?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #26 on: 29 October, 2010, 01:22:30 pm »
I do recall seeing, on Tomorrow's World, a Swedish bus with a mahoosive flywheel underneath.  I thought it was pretty cool then, but I know no more.

Wikipedia says that flywheel buses were in service in Switzerland. Gyrobus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #27 on: 29 October, 2010, 01:39:20 pm »
I'm guessing that they use small-diameter cyclinders, spun at very high speed.

If you used two cyclinders, counter-rotating, wouldn't they cancel out each other's gyro effects?

I think so.
Chief cat entertainer.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 29 October, 2010, 02:05:02 pm »
I do recall seeing, on Tomorrow's World, a Swedish bus with a mahoosive flywheel underneath.  I thought it was pretty cool then, but I know no more.

Wikipedia says that flywheel buses were in service in Switzerland. Gyrobus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Um.. yeah.  That's the one.  I didn't do geography at O Level :-[
Getting there...

corshamjim

« Reply #29 on: 29 October, 2010, 09:41:49 pm »
A few years ago there was a gyrobus operating a short stretch near the Industrial Museum in Bristol.  I took a very short ride on it just out of interest.  ISTR being somewhat underwhelmed.  It didn't go round any sharp corners or over any hump-back bridges.  Unfortunately.

« Reply #30 on: 31 October, 2010, 11:53:36 am »

No, because you can't align them exactly together, the torques will cause an overall torque on the system.  You can probably get them close enough together to reduce the overall system effect, but you can't remove it entirely.

Two flywheels is also going to increase the complexity significantly, so is less than ideal from that perspective.
Actually, it is rocket science.