Author Topic: Spoke lengths for SON XS on a Brompton?  (Read 1499 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Spoke lengths for SON XS on a Brompton?
« on: 18 June, 2008, 08:56:53 am »
I seem to remember that a Brompton front wheel can be taken apart and the hub replaced with a SON-XS while re-using the spokes, because the SON-XS happens to require the same spoke lengths (in its x2 pattern) as the standard Brompton hub with its radial pattern.

Does anyone know if this is true?  If so, I might get a SON-XS and rebuild the wheel while it's still new - the standard front hub is pretty indifferent, and I'm going to want lights. 

I didn't specify the Brompton lighting kit because (a) I'd rather build my own wheel and (b) I don't want a wired taillight or an incandescent front light.

Incidentally, there's a good series of YouTube videos where a (probably obsessive) Welsh dude disassembles his new Brompton to check it over and ends up adjusting and greasing all the cup-and-cone bearings, which are pretty tight and dry  :-\  Spoke tension from the factory is notoriously poor too - most people seem to break spokes within a year or so of new - and I'll tighten them all up.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Spoke lengths for SON XS on a Brompton?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2008, 10:12:06 am »
Schmidt's webby SCIENCE, he say:

For the current Brompton rim 349x19 (available since 2005, wear-indicator groove at the sidewall) with 28 spoke holes 148 mm long spokes are recommended, mounted 2 cross not interlaced. For radial spoking use 133 mm long spokes. Older Brompton rims (marked “Alesa”) need spokes 2 mm longer.

Measure twice, cut once?
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Spoke lengths for SON XS on a Brompton?
« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2008, 11:42:42 am »
Thanks.  148mm is, serendipitously, the standard front length, so I'll just pull the wheel apart and rebuild it before the spokes get too set in their ways.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.