Author Topic: Collapsible Backgrounds  (Read 1647 times)

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
Collapsible Backgrounds
« on: 12 February, 2011, 01:17:05 pm »
My daughter has been nagging me for some time to buy a background to take studio style photos of the grandchildren indoors.  The nagging has increased somewhat as grandchild no3 is imminent.

When the last two arrived I took some photos using an old bedsheet with a tripod mounted flash trigerred by the pop up flash on my D70.

The photos would have been quite good were it not for the crappy background.

Has anyone any  recomendations? I don't want to spend a fortune.  I have seen some Lastolite ones for £194 but I would prefer not to spend that much if it can be helped.

Re: Collapsible Backgrounds
« Reply #1 on: 12 February, 2011, 02:34:11 pm »
You want Colorama paper and supports really.  Jessops used to sell a cheap version which lookes exactly that.

If it's going to be once in a blue moon, you could always hire a proper background and supports from Calumet.  While you're at it hire a couple of flash heads and softboxes too and use your flashgun (well diffused or snooted)) to light the background.

http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/pdfs/uk-rental-guide-2010.pdf

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2011, 06:07:10 pm »
Background supports are 30-50 quid from eBay. A roll of colorama paper will be about 40 quid and will last ages.

What Tewdric says about hiring decent gear to play with - do make sure you have a lot of time to experiment and have done a bit of reading first.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2011, 06:36:31 pm »
A white sheet works well *if* you put a small slave flash behind the subject and use it to overexpose (blow out) the background.  This is easier for close-ups because you only need a patch of flash light behind their head.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2011, 09:30:11 pm »
I made my own - an old window blind painted with emulsion paint dabbed on with a sponge to give a mottled effect. I made a stand from the base of an office chair, some steel tube and a bit of aluminium channeling.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2011, 10:55:20 pm »
A white sheet works well *if* you put a small slave flash behind the subject and use it to overexpose (blow out) the background.  This is easier for close-ups because you only need a patch of flash light behind their head.

With one strobe for the subject and one for the background that you can adjust independently it's so easy to separate and control the exposure on background and the foreground.  With a coloured gel on the background strobe, you can add extra interest.

A great resource is here http://strobist.blogspot.com/2007/06/lighting-102-12-position-distance.html

« Reply #6 on: 13 February, 2011, 01:43:56 pm »
If you live near Chester you can come and borrow mine and soft box or two. Pm me if of any use.

Gandalf

• Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty
« Reply #7 on: 13 February, 2011, 02:50:44 pm »
If you live near Chester you can come and borrow mine and soft box or two. Pm me if of any use.

That's most kind, but I'm down in that London.

ed_o_brain

« Reply #8 on: 24 February, 2011, 09:12:55 pm »
I have a lastolite hilite which is okay in tight spaces.

« Reply #9 on: 24 February, 2011, 09:14:57 pm »
I have a lastolite hilite which is okay in tight spaces.

As long as you don't inadvertantly get it in your shot!  ;)