Author Topic: FNRtSR ideas  (Read 9967 times)

Re: FNRtSR ideas
« Reply #75 on: 05 May, 2011, 09:28:08 am »
I've just realised that the 13th is next week.  Who's in?  Scarborough or Whitby?  I feel the need for a plan!

I could be in, I've kept the weekend free (well, I've not had any better offers yet anyway! ;)).

Although after 3 weekends of long travels, I'm wavering and thinking about the need to do laundry, have a lie in and so on.  I've been meaning to resurrect the thread myself, but not quite been arsed...

I think I'd prefer Whitby, as then I can get part way back on the train.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

« Reply #76 on: 05 May, 2011, 10:24:19 am »
I would like to do this but am scheduled to give blood at 5.45 on 13th so probably not a good idea!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #77 on: 05 May, 2011, 04:57:46 pm »
I'm out - doing my first 200 Audax on the 14th so riding through the night before wouldn't really work

Have fun!
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #78 on: 05 May, 2011, 07:54:50 pm »
doing my first 200 Audax on the 14th

I hope that goes well for you
Which event?

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #79 on: 05 May, 2011, 10:57:18 pm »
doing my first 200 Audax on the 14th

I hope that goes well for you
Which event?
Clarten owwer Caldbeck - my local ride. I've not got in the preparation I wanted for this due to Easter and Cub Camps getting in the way so I'm a bit nervous, but at least i know the roads for the second half of it.

« Reply #80 on: 05 May, 2011, 11:03:09 pm »
Hilly but not stupid with it, everyone says about Claarten Ower Caldbeck.  Caldbeck Common is frabulous.  Hartside will be a pain if the wind holds up, mind :-\

You'll have a blast.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #81 on: 12 May, 2011, 10:38:17 am »
Hartside will be a pain if the wind holds up, mind :-\

Guess which way it will be blowing on Saturday   :(

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #82 on: 12 May, 2011, 10:55:15 am »
I've not got in the preparation I wanted

I never get this right.I seem to stagger from one long ride to the next with little or no sensible practice in between.

« Reply #83 on: 12 May, 2011, 08:05:25 pm »
Have you room for a late comer? I appear to have a ticket arriving in York at 9:40pm on Friday night and another one leaving York at 12:54 on Saturday.... Where are we going, by the way?

Should I bring Beatrice (my Thorn Brevet you've seen before) or Beryl (my folder)? Bringing Beryl might make it easier getting trains back from somewhere or other back to York. Thinking about things - if I bring Beryl - I'd better start transferring lights pronto (not that it should be much of a problem)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #84 on: 13 May, 2011, 01:03:41 am »
Slowcoach-everyone else (afaik) has declared out so I assumed it was off. Will discuss with D_B in am when he is awake!

« Reply #85 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:30:07 am »
oops - no problem. I should have read the entire thread - but having received a late pass out for Friday night (i.e. I managed to restore both water and electrics last night as our utility room modernisation programme and I might actually get the job finished before relatives land from Australia) I was a little overenthusiatic.

I can always continue with the refurbishment programme at Chez SlowCoach this weekend instead. Does anyone fancy a spot of plastering? It's the next critical path job in the project plan, I hate it, and I was really looking for an excuse to postpone...

CrinklyLion

« Reply #86 on: 13 May, 2011, 09:35:42 am »
Well, the voice from under the duvet said "s'ok" this morning when I called upstairs to ask before leaving for work, so if you want to head out, I can. Have no caik still, mind. Right, 2 sites visited, on to number 3 I go...

« Reply #87 on: 13 May, 2011, 12:52:08 pm »
I'm more than happy to go if you are. It 's my last weekend of freedom before I'm confined to barracks for the next few weeks running rellies here there and everywhere. My train gets in about 9:40.

I suppose I ought to find a map and some batteries for my GPS thingie before I head out. I'll not be able to play follow the leader as in previous trips, unless you want a midnight mystery tour.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #88 on: 13 May, 2011, 01:30:56 pm »
I'm more than happy to go if you are. It 's my last weekend of freedom before I'm confined to barracks for the next few weeks running rellies here there and everywhere. My train gets in about 9:40.

I suppose I ought to find a map and some batteries for my GPS thingie before I head out. I'll not be able to play follow the leader as in previous trips, unless you want a midnight mystery tour.

Howsabout you head to ours, cuppa and any essential last minute refuelling, and we set off before midnight and head to Scab?  We could probably be in Pock by midnight-ish (and the midnight drunks in Pock are so entertaining) and pop in to my mum's for a cuppa, then follow Aidan's route (I can get us as far as Warter, but then it's up to you!) via Filey or something?  Whitby doesn't make much sense if you've got a ticket back from York, since it's a bit of a fiddle to get back to.  Scarborough is easy.  'Spoons open at 7 if we want breakfast, TPE at least once an hour back to York.  Turn up and travel fares 17-ish quid, and they are currently showing advance fares is you want to commit to a particular journey.

« Reply #89 on: 13 May, 2011, 01:37:30 pm »
That's fine by me. See you tonight then. I'm happy to take pot luck with the trains if they are all TPE. The route from Warter could be interesting - cos I've no idea now which way we went (apart from it involved Staxton Bank), but I'm sure we'll arrive at Scarborough somehow.
Thanks,
A

CrinklyLion

« Reply #90 on: 13 May, 2011, 01:45:19 pm »
Sledmere (perpetual hill) and Luttons featured.  Other than that not sure!

« Reply #91 on: 13 May, 2011, 07:24:23 pm »
I hope you have a great ride. I'm sorry to have been one of the 'offs', but after three weekends in a row travelling to points south and beyond, I'm knackered and need a weekend of doing nothing.

You'll have to tell us whether the 'Spoons entertainment is up to last time....

« Reply #92 on: 13 May, 2011, 10:33:16 pm »
Looks like a solid westerly all night.  Have fun!

CrinklyLion

« Reply #93 on: 14 May, 2011, 08:56:36 am »
Huzzah! I have (and yes I am going to shout this) RIDDEN MY BIKE DOWN  STAXTON HILL WITHOUT WIMPING OUT! (Or dying!)
Now on a train back home.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #94 on: 14 May, 2011, 09:12:26 am »
WELL DONE YOU!

Watch out, you'll be eyeing up a full suss downhill rig before too long . . .  ;D
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #95 on: 14 May, 2011, 09:30:53 am »
Huzzah! I have (and yes I am going to shout this) RIDDEN MY BIKE DOWN  STAXTON HILL WITHOUT WIMPING OUT! (Or dying!)
Now on a train back home.

HOORAH!

Well done. I hope you had a grand time.

I've not even got up yet, except to make tea and toast and take them back to bed.  :-\ 

CrinklyLion

« Reply #96 on: 14 May, 2011, 10:50:41 am »
Home.  Tired!  Gave 'slow'coach a brief mini-tour of York once we escaped the gravitational pull of the railway station so that he could fill his time usefully before his booked train north.  Yes, I showed hom the way to the Bike Rescue and Cycle Heaven and Cycleworks  ;D  I look forward with interest to his post on 'bought any cycling stuff today'.

I may do a RR later - or I may just sleeeeeepppppp.  But the essentials - left after 11  arrived before 7 despite spending two hours eating scones and drinking coffee and gossiping with my mum.  That's quite quick for 90km, for me.  The 24" gear was not required this time.  Too early (by over an hour, since it now doesn't open til 8) for the 'spoons, so we filled the time with McD's coffee (I find it worrying that walking into McD's felt like a return to civilisation.  Does this mean I am at risk of turning into an AUK?).  Then (very) large 'spoons breakfasts and a swift sprint to the station where we boarded a train in classic 'slow'coach fashion i.e. with 30 seconds to spare.  Approximately 3 spots of rain in the entire journey.  No mechanicals.  Beautiful sunrise.  Grand ride out!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #97 on: 14 May, 2011, 11:44:06 am »
 :thumbsup:

6hrs riding time for 90km is indicative of an ability to do a 200km audax without much fussandpalava ;)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #98 on: 15 May, 2011, 11:54:53 am »
But also without too much time for the eating of cake.  Cost-benefit analysis....

Anyhoo, I did a RR-ish. 

So, next month MSeries birthday ride, and maybe a compact and bijou night ride-ette with the EldestCub on York Rally weekend - must start a separate thread for that and see if anyone really wants to join us, and if so whether Friday or Saturday is best.  Anything else?

Then beginning of July is Tan Hill, and the end of July is Tiermat's significant birthday.  21 already, hey?

Is that all of 'em for the moment?

« Reply #99 on: 15 May, 2011, 04:42:48 pm »

And at a respectable speed too. I recorded 73kph (~45mph) down there and you I didn't gain much ground (if any)...

It was a great little night ride (possibly a little chilly near Sledmere Monument at some silly time in the morning - 4 degrees C if I remember?). Thanks very much for taking the time out and uncancelling this ride for me. Next time I'll check the thread more fully before committing.