Author Topic: Walkie talkie for biking  (Read 1465 times)

Walkie talkie for biking
« on: 03 December, 2015, 10:02:24 am »
Hi all, I'm looking for a pair of walkie talkies to use for biking. I gather that price actually makes a big difference for radios. Any suggestions? Range isn't a huge deal, since my partner and I shouldn't ever be more than 100m apart, but weather-resistant is definitely an issue. Any body have something affordable and reliable? Thanks! Seen this in amazon <link removed by Moderator - we don't want anyone to be accused of astroturfing, do we now...>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Walkie talkie for biking
« Reply #1 on: 09 December, 2015, 07:26:36 pm »
I think you might find that Kim knows everything there is to know about That Sort of Thing.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 09 December, 2015, 07:29:57 pm »
That's really not the case.  Walkie-talkies are audio, and something I tend to avoid.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #3 on: 10 December, 2015, 12:35:55 am »
Oscar's dad knows a thing or two about this...

"Red leader, red leader do you copy? Grab me a packet of crisps while you're at the bar. Over."
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #4 on: 10 December, 2015, 08:52:00 am »
Cheap as chips PMR446* - work fine for up to about 1.5km if there's not too much scenery in the way - and no licence required.  Open channels, but you have a choice - you just need both ends on the same one!

We have about 6 and have used them for golf days and for marshals in a very big car park.

Rob

* Not sure what the deleted link was but the retailer named after the S American river sells them ;-)

<The deleted link was to a set of 6 (or 8, I forget) devices. Therefore not "a pair" as in the OP. As the OP has not returned to complain, the astroturfing charge remains for now...>