Author Topic: Hydrographic Map of UK  (Read 2884 times)

Hydrographic Map of UK
« on: 25 May, 2011, 10:32:10 am »
Does anybody know of an on-line map of the UK that shows (only) rivers, lakes, streams and canals?

Trying to follow river courses on OS maps is not that easy so a rivers only map would be good.

IGN of France allows you to trun layers on and off including hydrographic info, boundaries and so on.

Thanks

R

red marley

Re: Hydrographic Map of UK
« Reply #1 on: 25 May, 2011, 10:41:14 am »
Most of Ordnance Survey's vector map products will have these data available that could be separated from other feature types. In particular the (free) OpenData VectorMap District (for more detailed scale), Meridian (medium scale) or Strategi (least detailed scale) might be helpful. Unfortunately though you would need some GIS skillz or software to do the separation of feature types. I don't know of any web service that does this, but the licencing of the OpenData would certainly allow it.

If you have a one-off requirement that isn't too large an area, I could probably generate a high resolution map of the relevant hydrographic data for you if that is any help.

« Reply #2 on: 25 May, 2011, 10:59:23 am »
Thanks for the offer Jo, but it was something I thought would be interesting to dip in and out of rather than anything specific.  The wish came about as I wanted to see why there appeared to be 2 River Avons quite close to each other but not appeared to be joined!  Also the spate of canal programmes on the box prompted a thought about where they all are.

Thanks

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3 on: 25 May, 2011, 11:06:45 am »
You could try playing around with SEPA's interactive map. I don't know if the Environment Agency has anything similar for England & Wales.

« Reply #4 on: 25 May, 2011, 11:14:45 am »
You could try playing around with SEPA's interactive map. I don't know if the Environment Agency has anything similar for England & Wales.

Thanks Pingu, this is useful

« Reply #5 on: 25 May, 2011, 11:16:32 am »
If it's navigable inland waterways, you could take a look at the british waterways site.
http://www.waterscape.com/map
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #6 on: 25 May, 2011, 11:25:11 am »
If it's navigable inland waterways, you could take a look at the british waterways site.
http://www.waterscape.com/map

That's pretty close, thank you.  Pity it is so slow!!

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #7 on: 25 May, 2011, 12:37:31 pm »
The wish came about as I wanted to see why there appeared to be 2 River Avons quite close to each other but not appeared to be joined!

"Avon" is a fairly generic Celtic / Brythonic word that just means "river". There's quite a few unconnected rivers named "River Avon" or "Avon Water" etc around Britain. Or "Afon" in Welsh, "Abhainn" in Gaelic.

As for a map, there is this one showing OSM data: ITO - Map (Water)

Tourist Tony

• Supermassive mobile flesh-toned black hole
« Reply #8 on: 26 May, 2011, 12:49:40 pm »
The wish came about as I wanted to see why there appeared to be 2 River Avons quite close to each other but not appeared to be joined!

"Avon" is a fairly generic Celtic / Brythonic word that just means "river". There's quite a few unconnected rivers named "River Avon" or "Avon Water" etc around Britain. Or "Afon" in Welsh, "Abhainn" in Gaelic.

As for a map, there is this one showing OSM data: ITO - Map (Water)
Beat me to it. The silliest river name in England is the one in Dover, the Dour.

Roman: "What do you call that?" (points at river)
Briton: "Dwr!"

It means 'water'....

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #9 on: 26 May, 2011, 01:48:03 pm »
Also Usk, Esk, Exe, Axe, Ash. All different versions of the same word. cf Whisk(e)y.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #10 on: 26 May, 2011, 05:22:19 pm »
“There is no point in using the word 'impossible' to describe something that has clearly happened.”
― Douglas Adams

« Reply #11 on: 31 May, 2011, 09:01:44 pm »
Also Usk, Esk, Exe, Axe, Ash. All different versions of the same word. cf Whisk(e)y.

And Ouse of which there are two in England.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #12 on: 03 June, 2011, 01:05:59 pm »
Rivers map - no canals or lakes

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/default.aspx

Very interesting map.  It allows you to zoom in and get 'live' river measurements in particular areas.

It's rather sobering how low the river levels are around here, compared to normal.  We're talking centimetres rather than tens of centimetres or metres...  :-\

We need rain.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #13 on: 03 June, 2011, 01:11:34 pm »
Try openwhitewatermap.  You're not interested in the data, but their background is simplified just rivers.

There are a lot of Avons, mind.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

« Reply #14 on: 03 June, 2011, 01:38:10 pm »
Rivers map - no canals or lakes

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/riverlevels/default.aspx

Very interesting map.  It allows you to zoom in and get 'live' river measurements in particular areas.

It's rather sobering how low the river levels are around here, compared to normal.  We're talking centimetres rather than tens of centimetres or metres...  :-\

We need rain.

It is reasonably good for staying up to date, I got a call to say that a culvert was underwater and could not be in spected, and checked on there to find that if the contractor had gone there at 9am instead of 3pm he would have been fine, though wet through from the rain. I could see teh peak come down the catchment and advise them to work in the head waters where it had passed rather than downstream where levels were still rising.