Author Topic: Teaching kids to ride in traffic  (Read 3343 times)

RainOrShine

Teaching kids to ride in traffic
« on: 28 April, 2008, 12:28:51 pm »
When's the best age to start teaching your kids to ride in (fairly tame) traffic rather than on the footpath?

My daughter is 6 and will ride with me on our street but prefers to use the path on the lane to the village.  Is it sensible to (gently) encourage her to use the road (accompanied of course), or is it too early still?

rr

Re: Teaching kids to ride in traffic
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2008, 12:51:45 pm »
Depends on their awareness. Mini, just 7, rides on selected roads with me - 91/2 miles yesterday. She has been doing this since her bike handling skills got good enough in the second half of last year. To work up to this we had constant analysis of traffic and other peoples cycling whenever we were on the road be it on bikes, foot or car. I must admit a flush of pride when she went slowly across one half of a road to allow the car on the other half to pass so she didn't have to stop in the middle.

Car drivers seem patient and considerate, which is sometimes more than can be said for mirco on the back of the accompanying tandem.

agagisgroovy

• Formely yellow-ceitidh
« Reply #2 on: 28 April, 2008, 03:43:12 pm »
First time I rode on the road I was 9 and had been cycling off-road for 2 years. This was on the Isle of Bute, please note, where rush hour is a bunch of cows or a Massey Fergusson.
Gradually I started riding to the local resevoir and back with parental supervison. This expanded to longer rides including a 100km Audax, but always with my parents close.
Then in October I started commuting to school, my Dad came with me for the first few days but then I went on my own.

Give them lots of supervised practise is the best bet.  ;D

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 28 April, 2008, 05:34:21 pm »
I was riding on the A34 south of Newbury (a dual-carriageway bit even in 1980) when I was 11.  I decided Cycling Proficiency allowed me to ride anywhere.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rae

« Reply #4 on: 28 April, 2008, 05:45:05 pm »
I ride with my 5 yr old in London - generally on the quieter streets, but we do navigate the Balls Pond Road, which is fairly serious.   He's fine.  He does ride a bit close to the parked cars for my liking, but as we aren't exactly caning it, he should be OK.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2008, 11:23:43 pm »
we aren't exactly caning it.

(translated from the rae)

25mph

;)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #6 on: 08 June, 2008, 03:37:26 pm »
Bit late to this thread but 6 is my vote. I think my eldest was 7 when we first rode to school.

Riding behind my children in traffic was one of the most hair-whitening experiences of my life. I had to bite my tongue and let them get on with it. My instinct was to keep saying "stay wide of the parked car", "brake NOW", "left side of the road, PLEASE" etc but I don't think it would have helped.

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #7 on: 08 June, 2008, 04:34:32 pm »
I ride to school sometimes with my daughter (aged 8). I don't think it's a matter of age, it's whether she can ride safely in a straight line, and can stop on command. The first few times we did it, we rode with me in front and mrs. seine behind. I would stick to quiet roads though.

RainOrShine

« Reply #8 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:15:44 pm »
Thanks.  My daughter is keen to ride to school, but that's a three mile ride involving steep hills and an A-road.  The local lanes will be a good start.

PS: Seineseeker - count yourself lucky, my daughter appears to be aged  >:( at the moment....  ;)

« Reply #9 on: 11 June, 2008, 10:23:37 pm »
Most girls are aged  >:( for a very long time. My elder niece was born that age and is still there aged 11.  ::-) The youger one, however, is definately aged  8);D
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

rae

« Reply #10 on: 11 June, 2008, 11:12:43 pm »
Riding behind my children in traffic was one of the most hair-whitening experiences of my life. I had to bite my tongue and let them get on with it. My instinct was to keep saying "stay wide of the parked car", "brake NOW", "left side of the road, PLEASE" etc but I don't think it would have helped. 

Riding with a three year old again has reminded me of the constant barrage of feedback I have to give him

well done, on the left, no the other left, straight line please, very good, look where you're going, remember to stop here, STOP, well done..........

The oldest has moved on to:

wait for me, stop showing off, 3rd gear now, race you up the hill, hammer down.....

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #11 on: 12 June, 2008, 08:30:05 pm »

The oldest has moved on to:

wait for me, stop showing off, 3rd gear now, race you up the hill, hammer down.....

Rae coaching his lead out train at the spritn for the 30 sign...

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #12 on: 12 June, 2008, 10:34:52 pm »
My eldest daughter is 6 going 7 fairly soon. We had started going to the local Go-Ride club by car a couple of months ago. That gave her some confidence and some bike handling skills that she did not have.

We started to ride on the road 4 weeks ago. The first ride was a short trip to the local park (williamson park in Lancaster) less than one mile away. The following week-end was a ride to the club and back. No turning back.

We started by riding two abreast with her to ease communication and so I can protect her from passing cars in case of a wobble.

She is now confident enough to cycle to school with me. She loves it. We ride very slowly and it's great.

She is usually in front of me. I found it's important for her to be in front so she climbs the biggish hill at her own pace.

Junctions are still a bit tricky as she is not yet ready to signal properly.  When we approach a junction, I go at the front,  signal for both of us and tell her to follow me.

RainOrShine

« Reply #13 on: 29 July, 2008, 12:22:43 pm »
By way of an update, we had a lovely ride on Sunday - four mile round trip to the paper shop, and she was very proud to have accomplished *all* of it on the road.

She also enjoyed hitting 14mph on a downhill stretch :D, though the overall journey speed was only 4 and a half.

On the way she made friends with a fellow traveller who was about 11 and riding a smart bike with gears n' stuff, who was jealous because she was not allowed to use the road!