Author Topic: Interesting take on wheels  (Read 1391 times)

Interesting take on wheels
« on: 03 October, 2011, 02:57:09 pm »
http://www.fastcodesign.com/1665045/soft-ride-bike-has-steel-tires-and-you-can-ride-it-now

apparently it's a working prototype, so it's rideable in some form.

Can't help noticing a lack of brakes though. Hub brakes could be an option, but I can't see any levers. Hopefully it's a least a fixed gear.

Can't help thinking cornering on a hard suface might be a bit sphincter clenching.

clarion

• Tyke
Re: Interesting take on wheels
« Reply #1 on: 03 October, 2011, 02:59:52 pm »
Creative idea, but non-functional.
Getting there...

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #2 on: 03 October, 2011, 03:00:46 pm »
Sure you could ride it… in a straight line. Don't expect to turn or lean. Might as well ride on the rims.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 03 October, 2011, 03:05:35 pm »
Well, no, I don't think so.  It should be much more comfortable than riding on the rims, or even on deflated tyres as you run to a stop after a puncture.  But turning would be interesting, as there would be a lot of deflection, and the steel won't lean like a rubber tyre does.  I'm not sure what differential distortion would to to direction and traction.  And I'd be very scared about any drain cover or wet surface.
Getting there...

« Reply #4 on: 03 October, 2011, 03:17:16 pm »
Ron Arad is a furniture designer. He has been coming up with wild ideas since the 60s.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #5 on: 03 October, 2011, 03:21:45 pm »
A rubber coating could be applied to improve grip.  I'd be interested to try it over extremely bumpy ground.  I might be quite nice!

Good on the inventor for trying something new anyway.  That is if it is new.  Most "new" bicycle-related things have already been tried a hundred years ago.

In case anyone says it's an "answer to a question that hasn't been asked", well, we wouldn't have the laser if the inventors had that attitude.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #6 on: 03 October, 2011, 05:34:50 pm »
In case anyone says it's an "answer to a question that hasn't been asked", well, we wouldn't have the laser if the inventors had that attitude.

But we've already invented the wheel!

Nobody's trying to invent a new laser that doesn't work as well, but looks cool.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 03 October, 2011, 06:16:45 pm »
We can have many types of wheels.  I don't know yet that this one is good for nothing.  I'm imaging it providing effective suspension on extremely bumpy ground.  Or it might inspire some other invention in another field - a buggy on Mars, for all I know.

I'm well in favour of inventing things for the sake of inventing things.  Applications will come afterwards if there can be any.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #8 on: 03 October, 2011, 06:34:00 pm »
This is a variant on an aaaaaaaincient design back from the Cambrian Explosion (back before the Safety). 
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #9 on: 03 October, 2011, 07:40:01 pm »
Yes it is, though those (that I've seen) had a separate rim - don't know whether they actually had a pneumatic/rubber tyre too. And there are IIRC only two such pairs in existence! Can't remember their name, but they were featured in a C+ article back when it was still worth reading...
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #10 on: 04 October, 2011, 05:46:55 am »
I've ridden a replica boneshaker with iron tyres. It cornered surprisingly well at the speeds I could manage on such a low gear.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #11 on: 04 October, 2011, 07:18:35 am »
BMW had a car with something similar a few years ago.

The advantage of the pneumatic tyre is that it reduces rolling resistance because of the way pressure acts in all directions, so a bump that would try to resist the motion of the wheel is quite effectively absorbed and dissipated.  Solid tyres (or steel springs) can't do this, and if you try and push a child's pram with solid tyres, then a similar one with pneumatic tyres, you can feel a huge difference.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #12 on: 04 October, 2011, 07:50:11 pm »
Good on the inventor for trying something new anyway.  That is if it is new.  Most "new" bicycle-related things have already been tried a hundred years ago.

Saw something very similar in the cycle museum in Cornwall a rainy afternoon many years ago.  It was a replica of a design, the original of which sold for mega bucks at auction.

A frame persil wheel bike that set pulses racing at an auction. 

One of the popular exhibits in the museum is an example of a frame persil wheel bike, not the most attractive item on show but one with a fascinating story.

"A similar example came up for auction recently," explains John. "It has a wooden seat, unreliable wheels and no brakes, yet it went for £90,000 in a London auction. It was unbelievable!"