Author Topic: Oh my knees!  (Read 956 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Oh my knees!
« on: 24 December, 2011, 06:40:11 pm »
I've never suffered from knee pain on the bike before - but then I've never had a two year lay off before.

But I rode 12 miles today (with a pre-Christmas feast and lounge in front of a fire in the middle) and kept getting daggers in the kneecaps whenever I laboured in too high a gear.

Is this the first sign of aging? Will it get worse? Or do you reckon it'll get better with more riding?

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Oh my knees!
« Reply #1 on: 24 December, 2011, 06:43:56 pm »
Well, you are not as old as I am, and you are not as fat as I am and you are not as arthritic as I am.

My knees are fine on the bike.

You are clearly not riding enough.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 24 December, 2011, 06:45:11 pm »
It'll almost certainly get better!  Anyway, knee-pain is not the first sign of ageing - but wondering about it is!

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3 on: 24 December, 2011, 07:07:21 pm »
I had the sudden appearance of knee pain several months ago & have concluded that it's arthritis.

Do more riding Pancho & let me know how it goes ;)

corshamjim

« Reply #4 on: 24 December, 2011, 09:45:51 pm »
I had that problem after towing a trailer full of camping gear back from the narwhal this year, and after riding up the hill to Hawkesbury Upton on a 3-speed.  The lesson I take from it is I need to stop pushing stupidly high gears.  Personally I don't think riding any more will help.  ymmv

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #5 on: 26 December, 2011, 08:08:01 pm »
No need to push it too hard.  Drop a gear or two and spin.  And getting off to push up a hill is OK so long as you're not in a race.

Take good care of yourself, Pancho.
Getting there...