Author Topic: The start of something new  (Read 1661 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
The start of something new
« on: 17 March, 2014, 02:47:56 pm »
Well not THE start, as that was a year or so ago (and I'll find photos of what it looked like then in a little bit).

I have just been sent a photo of this pink* bike...

It's TLD's new steed, back from getting a new coat.

*I know it's not pink, I am not colour blind, but we were winding her up at the weekend WRT to the colour...
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Re: The start of something new
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2014, 03:40:20 pm »
Intrigued by that headtube I went to look at the Jensen frame that is the mule of our turbo bike.   It has a similar style but on the seat tube.

Nice colour.   Powdercoat?

tiermat

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2014, 03:52:29 pm »
Due to is being 531 Millenium, a tubing used almost exclusively by Paul Donohue (which is what the frame is), and being welded, PC was deemed ok for it.  Pastel Turquiose with a metal flake/sparkly clear coat over it.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Si

« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2014, 09:14:05 am »
Interesting that it appears that the crown and steerer weren't masked and have thus been coated - will this cause a problem trying to get the crown race on?

Very nice colour by the way.

tiermat

« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2014, 09:29:10 am »
Interesting that it appears that the crown and steerer weren't masked and have thus been coated - will this cause a problem trying to get the crown race on?

I would assume so, but I am leaving that as an exercise for our tame bike shop owner :)

It came with a Stronglight JDX headset, but is getting a nice A9 to replace it for two reasons. 1) an A9 has a lower stack height than the JDX and 2) Mrs T's Carlton has an A9 on it, so I will only need to keep one set of spares.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2014, 03:32:15 pm »
The headset's a bit loose.

<Exits, coat in hand>
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #6 on: 19 March, 2014, 12:30:28 am »

At that point I'd just picked it up and hadn't removed the masking from the steerer.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #7 on: 19 March, 2014, 09:14:25 am »
The 'before' shot

VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

tiermat

« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2014, 02:28:40 pm »
Forks a bit slack....

Must remember to get those decals to you this weekend, downtube, seattube and head tube.

Name decals to follow :)

« Reply #9 on: 19 March, 2014, 05:38:14 pm »
I know it's not pink, I am not colour blind, but we were winding her up at the weekend WRT to the colour...

I think that's a lovely shade of pink - just what TLD was looking for (judging from her reaction last Saturday)

tiermat

« Reply #10 on: 20 March, 2014, 08:27:53 am »
I was just thinking, I don't think there will be many 10 yr old girls who can say they have a Paul Donohue as their first real road bike...

I am really excited about this and want to get it on the road now, but need to exercise patience...

tiermat

« Reply #11 on: 22 March, 2014, 05:19:25 pm »
And now the next bit :)

This arrived, by email, today...