Author Topic: Cinelli Quill Stems, sizing?  (Read 2499 times)

Cinelli Quill Stems, sizing?
« on: 29 December, 2011, 04:34:31 pm »
Hi there chaps/chappettes, I'm just looking for some advice on quill stems as I need a longer one than the 90mm one on a 1997 Mercian Strada Speciale I have. The problem is that I have read the following on wiki:

"...the Italian unofficial standard is 26.0 mm, which is the most common clamp size for road bars. There are also intermediate sizes such as 25.8 mm to try to achieve compatibility with either an ISO or Italian stem, and the old Cinelli-specific size of 26.4 mm. In practice, many modern stems with removable faceplates are quite accommodating of slight differences in handlebar clamp size, but the older type of stem with a single pinch bolt must be accurately matched."

So, I am not sure of the age of the current Cinelli stem/handlebars (they could well be prior to 1997 as my late father in law did mix and match to suit himself) and I cannot see any indications/markings (apart from the stem being 1" threaded and single pinch bolt type). I know some might say "measure it" but I cannot see how I can accurately measure the difference between 26 and 26.4 mm, etc. So, what do you all think about the Wiki comment on the need for accurate matching? I was hoping I could just buy a nice 1" threaded stem from the right era (mid 90's), e.g., 3TTT or Cinelli, in the 26mm-ish clamp range, and just stick it on??

Many thanks...

Re: Cinelli Quill Stems, sizing?
« Reply #1 on: 29 December, 2011, 11:09:43 pm »
If you measure the circumference of the stem you can put that into this converter and get the diameter.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/circlesolve.htm

« Reply #2 on: 29 December, 2011, 11:20:26 pm »
If your handlebars date from 1997 and have been used regularly, it might be time to think about changing them anyway.  Yours probably is 26.4 as Cinelli appear to have changed to 26.0 in 1998.  (See Sheldon)

In any case, I'd have a look at Nitto stuff.  Hubjub, SJS  and Freshtripe stock them, amongst many others.  I will be putting a couple of stems on classifieds soon if you can wait.

« Reply #3 on: 30 December, 2011, 10:06:52 am »

« Reply #4 on: 30 December, 2011, 04:35:27 pm »
Hi there chaps/chappettes, I'm just looking for some advice on quill stems as I need a longer one than the 90mm one on a 1997 Mercian Strada Speciale I have. The problem is that I have read the following on wiki:

"...the Italian unofficial standard is 26.0 mm, which is the most common clamp size for road bars. There are also intermediate sizes such as 25.8 mm to try to achieve compatibility with either an ISO or Italian stem, and the old Cinelli-specific size of 26.4 mm. In practice, many modern stems with removable faceplates are quite accommodating of slight differences in handlebar clamp size, but the older type of stem with a single pinch bolt must be accurately matched."

So, I am not sure of the age of the current Cinelli stem/handlebars (they could well be prior to 1997 as my late father in law did mix and match to suit himself) and I cannot see any indications/markings (apart from the stem being 1" threaded and single pinch bolt type). I know some might say "measure it" but I cannot see how I can accurately measure the difference between 26 and 26.4 mm, etc. So, what do you all think about the Wiki comment on the need for accurate matching? I was hoping I could just buy a nice 1" threaded stem from the right era (mid 90's), e.g., 3TTT or Cinelli, in the 26mm-ish clamp range, and just stick it on??

Many thanks...

I don't think there's such a thing as "the Italian unofficial standard". Italian manufacturers used various sizes, eg Cinelli was 26.4, 3TTT is 26 but also used 25.4 etc.

You can use a bigger quill stem and smaller bars with shims made from a drinks can, but the other way round won't work as you simply can't get the bars into the smaller stem. I've never used stems with removable faceplates but I still think it'll best to match diameters.

You can use a vernier gauge to measure, even a cheap one will easily be accurate to half a mil. You can also ask the seller the size of the diameter.

« Reply #5 on: 30 December, 2011, 05:18:06 pm »
Thanks for the feedback chaps.  I tried measuring the circumference and that came out (using that neat online tool which does the pi bit) as 26.7  :)

Methinks 'tis probably a 26.4 really although when I look down on bar and measure diameter with a tape measure it comes out at about 25.  Ho hum.

I think I shall wait for a Cinelli 26.4 in the proper 110mm (thanks to Sarge for the info about Nitto sizing coming out about 7mm longer). 

I will see if I can buy a vernier because I could do with one for the rims as I run a couple of old Campag Nucleon wheels and suspect the rims need measuring to ensure a safe minimum (2mm, I believe).

« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2011, 06:27:02 pm »
Rim thickness: you can do it with a normal vernier, but you'll need to do this (link is to .pdf):
http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Magazine/20011163.pdf

Or get a rim guage (Ebay link):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BICYCLE-RIM-GAUGE-DEUXIEME-GAUGE-/290581931984?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&hash=item43a80867d0

Back to the bars: I'd agree with Tewdric. New bars - lots of nice choices available - and then choose a stem for them.