Author Topic: Google Maps Questions?  (Read 1195 times)

Google Maps Questions?
« on: 08 January, 2012, 10:54:11 am »
I need to do several DIY 200s this year to fill in gaps where I cant do Calendar events.

I cant get any sense out of via michelin  so have been using google map . I can set up the destinations in walking mode and chose the option for kilometers not miles but after saving the route it comes back in miles with no option for changing.

Also after saving the route it no longer shows total distance only the seperate stage distances.OK it isnt hard to add them up but is there a way to get it to show total distance in kilometers after being saved?

Re: Google Maps Questions?
« Reply #1 on: 08 January, 2012, 10:57:05 am »

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2 on: 08 January, 2012, 12:34:23 pm »
I need to do several DIY 200s this year to fill in gaps where I cant do Calendar events.

I cant get any sense out of via michelin  so have been using google map . I can set up the destinations in walking mode and chose the option for kilometers not miles but after saving the route it comes back in miles with no option for changing.

Also after saving the route it no longer shows total distance only the seperate stage distances.OK it isnt hard to add them up but is there a way to get it to show total distance in kilometers after being saved?

Something to do with googlemaps saving 'maps' rather than directions?

Rather than save maps within gmaps, I generally bookmark the URL which includes the route waypoints.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #3 on: 08 January, 2012, 01:23:38 pm »
An example of a Google map showing a total distance in kilometres though this one is not in walking mode (which I distrust). 
It's a bookmarked URL as mentioned above.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #4 on: 08 January, 2012, 02:24:07 pm »
on a similar topic, are there many instances where roads exist on the ground but not on Google maps.  I have ridden around Cockley Beck (between Wrynose and Hardknott and Turner Hall/Newfield Inn but can't seem to plot a DIY there because there does not seem to be a road.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5 on: 08 January, 2012, 02:30:04 pm »
Under the destination box there is a small link called 'show options'. The options it shows are miles/km, click on km and that should solve that bit.  :thumbsup:

As for the leg distances/total distance thingy - no idea.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

thing1

• aka Joth
    • TandemThings
« Reply #6 on: 08 January, 2012, 04:46:59 pm »
on a similar topic, are there many instances where roads exist on the ground but not on Google maps.  I have ridden around Cockley Beck (between Wrynose and Hardknott and Turner Hall/Newfield Inn but can't seem to plot a DIY there because there does not seem to be a road.

See my note in the GPS section... if a missing road is bothering you sufficiently, you can now use the "Report a  problem" link to describe what's missing and it should be added in a tolerable timeframe (i.e. weeks, not the years it used to take).

« Reply #7 on: 08 January, 2012, 06:55:23 pm »
reported it - thanks

« Reply #8 on: 09 January, 2012, 09:07:39 am »
Just remember to check any google recommended 'walking' route before relying on it. They include a lot of footpaths/tracks which aren't necessarily bike friendly even in good conditions. And they also include a lot of non public access tracks as well, which is always a delight to discover at 1am when all you want to do is finish a 400  ::-)

I've taken to crosschecking with an OS map and Streetview to make sure the route is actually useable.

« Reply #9 on: 09 January, 2012, 02:08:12 pm »
Just remember to check any google recommended 'walking' route before relying on it. They include a lot of footpaths/tracks which aren't necessarily bike friendly even in good conditions. And they also include a lot of non public access tracks as well, which is always a delight to discover at 1am when all you want to do is finish a 400  ::-)

I've taken to crosschecking with an OS map and Streetview to make sure the route is actually useable.

I am beginning to notice that. One route took me through a private no public access road through the middle of a steelworks another route I am working on n ow takes me on the "Cheddar Valley Railway Path" near Conglesbury. I am not sure if this is a suitable way for cycling yet so may have to redraw it before submitting the route. I am double checking the routes on Bike route toaster which also gives you an elevation graph.