Author Topic: Bike Ride Logging Website  (Read 1369 times)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Bike Ride Logging Website
« on: 07 January, 2012, 10:45:45 am »
I dislike existing websites for logging rides ( BikeJournal, mycyclinglogs etc etc ) all the ones I've tried have either been slow, unreliable, lacking in features or otherwise unfit for purpose.

I am currently without gainful employment so I will be having a crack at doing my own.  As I am without income I am looking at free hosting options.  As I am a IT tech programming type person I'd like to use this as a opportunity to use the latest batshit technologies.

So I'll be developing using the Ruby framework Sinatra and deploying to cloudfoundry.com

As soon as I get things rolling I'll write up a full requirements document / specification, with screen mockups and stuff like that.

Here is my initial feature list:
  • Initially, the logging will look like my existing google spreadsheet with 3 sheets, "log rides", "manage bikes" and "manage tyres"
  • There will be some kind of report generator that can do little graphs and stuff
  • I'm not sure about the "social" side of the logging, there might be a feature to find riders "similar" to yourself in terms of distances and times as well as the more usual "clubs" and "groups"
  • There will be a webservices style external method for logging rides so the system can be used by other websites or third party applications
  • There will be a data export facility to prevent lock in problems.  This will export ALL data and ALL relations
  • Android client

Re: Bike Ride Logging Website
« Reply #1 on: 07 January, 2012, 10:53:38 am »
I'd like it (as a prospective user) to log 'parts' rather than just tyres.

(I hope you anticipated this thread would turn into a wish list... )

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 07 January, 2012, 11:02:52 am »
... the one thing I don't understand is "why" and is there an "end user market" that you think would use it ... or is it just for you?   

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding (I'm in the the "what's Facetwit all about" brigade)

If the plan is to market or offer access then perhaps the spec that the user might want or expect is a good place to start?

Rob

PS - I used to work for the UK IT systems part of a large US telecoms outfit (known by it's initials, two of which are the same) - we had the classic cartoon framed on the wall :   

Room full of programmers, salesman rushing out of the door saying, over his shoulder "Get started coding, I'll go and see what the customer wants" 

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #3 on: 07 January, 2012, 12:15:13 pm »
I'd like it (as a prospective user) to log 'parts' rather than just tyres.

(I hope you anticipated this thread would turn into a wish list... )

Yeah, I'm using the spreadsheet only for tyres at the moment but the same thing could be used for chains or brake blocks or anything

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #4 on: 07 January, 2012, 12:39:13 pm »
... the one thing I don't understand is "why" and is there an "end user market" that you think would use it ... or is it just for you?   

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding (I'm in the the "what's Facetwit all about" brigade)

If the plan is to market or offer access then perhaps the spec that the user might want or expect is a good place to start?

If you build a better mousetrap then you will have the world's longest running theatre show

"why"- because all the existing / previous sites I have used have had problems.
Bikejournal was slow, prone to locking out all the users first thing in the morning due to database mismanagement, had various small annoying bugs in the UI and the people running it said "give us money! it will get better!"  It occassionally got a little better when they bought more server capacity, but as the number of users crept up it got bad again.  I think that the Internet to it, in the US, to me, in the UK, coupled with some odd way they'd set it up made it more unreliable for me than most people
Mycyclinglogs didn't have as many features as bikejournal.  For instance it didn't have a feature for tracking tyre use.  The two major problems with it were that it had a week long outage and not all the data logged could be exported.  It was faster than bikejournal however.
Strava had even less features than mycyclinglogs but allowed logging via GPS devices.  Unfortunately, for the sort of rides I wanted to log ( short commutes ) it randomly added ascent and distance in a way that altered the stats gathered
I've used a couple of now defunct other logging sites in the past too, which had similar problems
So that's "why".  There isn't anything IMHO that is suitable.

I'll build the site I am proposing as a prototype.  Before I even build the prototype I will do a write up of what I intend to do and take feedback from that.  Potential users will hopefully steer the design towards something good and usable.

Once the prototype is there I'll let some, limited, keen people use it.  They will tell me it's crap.  I will change it.  The value to me is that I might potentially get a logging site I can actually use and also I will learn new stuff.  I am not looking to create an end user market.

If it gets to the point that it is better than existing offerings then I will make it generally available.  If it's any good and if it is reliable, people will use it.  If it's shite then no problem  ;D  Unless of course it's shite and people still want to use it  ::-)

« Reply #5 on: 07 January, 2012, 12:56:26 pm »
I'm also not over excited by the current sites. If you're interested in wish lists, things I'd like:
 - distance, climb, which bike
 - ride time and pedalling time, distinct from each other
 - a box to note route etc in
 - on / off road categories, but not the full bike journal complexity. I quite like the mycyclinglog freeform tags.
 - a way to get a little box of stats up on my blog, like I can with mycyclinglog

Sounds like a fun project to play with some new toys.

« Reply #6 on: 07 January, 2012, 01:54:52 pm »
I am looking at free hosting options.......

So I'll be developing using the Ruby framework Sinatra and deploying to cloudfoundry.com

Does this mean that you have hosting sorted or that you need hosting?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7 on: 07 January, 2012, 02:00:12 pm »
I, personally would be interested in this, all the ones I have used so far allow you to log service intervals, but not individual aspects of bike wear.  Rather than just logging tyre distance, it might be worth making that field a generic one with a free-form field for description then a mileage fitted/date and a mileage replaced/date.

The Andriod client would also be of great interest to me, as well as an ability to upload GPX tracks.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Chris S

« Reply #8 on: 07 January, 2012, 02:09:01 pm »
A blend of the best parts of Bikejournal and RideWithGPS would be a good start.

Links to Facebook, Google+ and other social networks for those who like to tell the world what they are up to.

The biggest problem with Bikejournal is reliability - and that's improved. But it has an aging and somewhat clunky interface.

Android & iPhone portal apps would be a clincher for me too - as it was with myfitnesspal.com; which has a brilliant Android app.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #9 on: 08 January, 2012, 04:59:47 pm »
I am looking at free hosting options.......

Does this mean that you have hosting sorted or that you need hosting?

It means that cloudfoundry.com say that they are free "while in beta" which they are at the moment so I'd probably use that
But if you have a better idea that's good too

dasmoth

• Techno-optimist
« Reply #10 on: 08 January, 2012, 05:06:10 pm »
Sounds great  :thumbsup:.

The API and export functions resolve my main concerns about existing sites!
Half term's when the traffic becomes mysteriously less bad for a week.