Author Topic: Has anyone owned a Minox?  (Read 5208 times)

Re: Has anyone owned a Minox?
« Reply #25 on: 08 July, 2011, 01:30:16 am »
I had a 35GL. No problems with exposure, even on K64, and results considerably better than the XA. It's not difficult to estimate distances with a 35mm lens providing you don't forget. However, it broke :(. It stopped winding, and when I had a go at it, the lens wouldn't go back inside any more.
My last before digital was a T3, like this (except mine was titanium finish)

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #26 on: 06 January, 2012, 05:33:34 pm »
It's a great little camera.  Lovely lens, and the slight sound of the leaf shutter is a beautiful sound.  In fact, it's so quiet that you can get some great candid shots, get close to wildlife, and get natural shots of people.

The two drawbacks are the lack of a rangefinder and the fixed prime 35mm lense.  I got very good at estimating focus distances, and getting close enough to fill the frame.  I find that 35mm is a better representative of a natural view than a 50mm anyway.

Oh - and you might find the lens a bit slow.  IIRC, it's f2.8.  I never found that a problem, really, except in very low light, but then I tended to use XP1 and I like a good depth of field (see also manual focus) for most of the photography I do/did. 

Best thing about the Minox was that I always had it with me, and I got some amazing shots as a consequence.  If it suits you, I hope you get one and enjoy it.

*excited*

I was looking for Something Else, and found my Minox!  Quick check, and I found the batteries are just fine (for the moment :-\ ) :D

Now I just need to remember which film I have in :-[

Oh - btw - can anyone recommend developers to do d&p to proof print (prob good enough for scanning).  I don't have a neg scanner. :(
Getting there...

« Reply #27 on: 06 January, 2012, 05:38:15 pm »
I got some 120 film done by snappysnaps a few months back and they were very good - easy to find a branch too.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #28 on: 08 January, 2012, 10:01:33 pm »
Well, I fi.ally finished the film in the Minox.  It was a Fuji 200 c-41.  Really embarrassed that I forgot. :-[

Replaced it with a 400 c-41.

Now to find a processor.
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #29 on: 08 January, 2012, 10:05:56 pm »
Just a note:  The controls of the Minox 35GL comprise a focussing ring, an aperture ring, a battery check button, a 2x backlight switch, shutter button and winder.  Everything needed for photography.
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #30 on: 08 January, 2012, 10:15:11 pm »
And plenty more besides.. The photo below was taken on a camera which had  an aperture control. No shutter or shutter release. No meter either.

nightview tele_w by davidmamartin, on Flickr
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

AndyK

« Reply #31 on: 08 January, 2012, 10:19:12 pm »
Want the XA2 the cheap version with a worse lens and less functionality ?

Here's a comparison: XA/XA2

I have the XA2, I've used an XA. I preferred the XA2 for ease and speed of use.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #32 on: 09 January, 2012, 08:41:39 am »
Fair enough, David.  That's a lovely shot.  I've taken some good stuff on a compact with fixed focus, and weather pictograms for aperture setting.  But the point I was trying to make, after having a refamiliarisation with our digitals, is that there are so many functions and settings I had forgotten were there, and which I will never conceivably use.  Flash and white balance would help, but that's about it.  Conversely, maybe perversely, while I feel frustrated by the lack of Tele on my LX-3, I am happy to have a 35mm prime on the Minox.
Getting there...

« Reply #33 on: 09 January, 2012, 07:20:56 pm »
This thread reminded me I bought a GT-E many years ago to take on tours to Central America to be less conspicuous to los ladrones. So compact. Good enough snaps for me and worked over 5,000 metres in the cold. Must have been late eighties or early nineties. I still have it and must have it checked out some time.
Next time I went to Guatemala I took an SLR and got mugged with my camera in my hand but the four little b*****ds couldn't prise it from my grubby paw even though they had me on the ground. They did get my sack.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #34 on: 09 January, 2012, 07:35:53 pm »
Next time I went to Guatemala I took an SLR and got mugged with my camera in my hand but the four little b*****ds couldn't prise it from my grubby paw even though they had me on the ground. They did get my sack.
Wouldn't it have been less painful to give them the camera?  :o
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #35 on: 12 January, 2012, 10:49:00 am »
I'm so excited!  I've just received a charger and two spare batteries for my Minox DC5211. :D

It's only (only!) 5MP, and the screen is tiny, but it's got all the important functions, and a decent Tele, and an optical viewfinder.  Biggest issue is a shutter lag :(

And it is beautiful!

What an idiot I am for losing the chargers. :-[
Getting there...