Author Topic: Birdsong  (Read 2222 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Birdsong
« on: 30 January, 2012, 09:59:35 pm »
I cried.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Re: Birdsong
« Reply #1 on: 30 January, 2012, 10:02:28 pm »

border-rider

« Reply #2 on: 30 January, 2012, 10:04:31 pm »
I thought it was good. Terribly sad, though.

« Reply #3 on: 30 January, 2012, 10:10:25 pm »
tears here too.  Very good.

spindrift

« Reply #4 on: 30 January, 2012, 10:14:10 pm »
I never knew there was so much cunnilingus in World War One.

Steph

« Reply #5 on: 31 January, 2012, 08:42:52 am »
Yes, that was a bit...odd for a sheltered Edwardian/Victorian/just GeorgeVian chap.

Well done in many ways, but the main characters are a bit on the thin side. A bit more like a modern fashion plate than reality. Still, I stick by my first comment.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #6 on: 31 January, 2012, 09:20:47 am »
Steph, have you read the book?  I can lend it to you if you want.

(watched episode 1 on Sunday, episode 2 awaits)
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 31 January, 2012, 09:26:05 am »
It was most detached, almost dreamlike a lot of the time. At first I thought it was just slow, but I think there was more to it than that. There were clear contrasts between the languid and colourful pre-war scenes and the edgy, almost monochrome trenches. The slowness of the trench scenes was different than the Amiens slowness, full of tension.

Steph

« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2012, 09:56:04 am »
Steph, have you read the book?  I can lend it to you if you want.

(watched episode 1 on Sunday, episode 2 awaits)

I always meant to but as a non-TV person I didn't even know it was on till a friend told me yesterday. A read would be good! I shall see if it is in the shop when I go up London today; I rather suspect there will be a lot of them about as it is now on the box. Thanks.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #9 on: 03 February, 2012, 01:54:39 pm »
I read the book ages ago.  The trench bits really stuck with me, the feeling of suffocation, wretchedness etc.  HAven't watched on tv as don't want to spoil.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

« Reply #10 on: 03 February, 2012, 11:02:04 pm »
I didn't see this, but my Mum was telling me about it on the phone. It was, apparently, "all naked sex".

Her tone suggested this was not a good thing.
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11 on: 03 February, 2012, 11:42:31 pm »
Seeing the thread title and that it had been started by Steph, I expected it to be something to do with recordings of avian choristry! As it happens I read the book many years ago and enjoyed it a lot but I'm not sure I'd be tempted to watch it on TV - if I had a TV!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #12 on: 04 February, 2012, 07:03:35 am »
Well that's a shame because it was excellent TV. There was a scene in the book where one of the young officers returns home and cannot relate to anything after his expirience in the trenches. I found it to be one of the most powerful in the book and i was disappointed that it didn't make the TV version.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #13 on: 04 February, 2012, 05:36:18 pm »
I like the letter in this week's RT in which somebody points out that the birdsong in the soundtrack is in fact that of a collared dove, a species that didn't arrive in France until 1952  ;D
Aero but not dynamic

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #14 on: 04 February, 2012, 05:47:47 pm »
I like the letter in this week's RT in which somebody points out that the birdsong in the soundtrack is in fact that of a collared dove, a species that didn't arrive in France until 1952  ;D
Muhmuh-muh!  Muhmuh-muh!  If you wanted a more tedious bird call it would be hard to pick one.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #15 on: 04 February, 2012, 11:44:13 pm »
Muhmuh-muh!  Muhmuh-muh!  If you wanted a more tedious bird call it would be hard to pick one.

Wood Pigeon? Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh.

etc

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #16 on: 05 February, 2012, 07:39:59 am »
Yes, they're similar but the collared dove has the edge in boring calls.  Woodies sometimes make a more musical "burrrr" sound instead.  I don't mind either of them in the garden; the woodies look quite funny through binoculars and are obviously not the Masterminds of the bird world.  Feral pigeons, OTOH, are rats on wings and thankfully they don't leave the town centre.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Steph

« Reply #17 on: 05 February, 2012, 02:49:32 pm »
My favourite birdsong cock-up is an Errol Flynn propaganda piece set in Burma but filmed in Oz with Chinese actors playing the Japanese. Not only were the gumtrees completely wrong for the Burmese jungle, but the birds were all Aussie. Not just relatively innocuous ones like a golden whistler (tututututu WEE-OO) but also bloody kookaburras.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #18 on: 05 February, 2012, 06:49:54 pm »

Wood Pigeon? Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh. Muhmuh-muhmuh.

etc

This is why I  hate camping in woodlands. Starts about 4am in the Summer
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #19 on: 05 February, 2012, 11:13:30 pm »
Another offer here if anyone wants a copy of the book - it was quite an eye opener for the sheer horror of the mining in the trenches.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #20 on: 06 February, 2012, 08:41:11 am »

etc
(I don't know how you get the letter 'M' from their call, but anyway ... )

I am so glad to find some woodpigeonism. They make a horrible noise. Many people call it a "gentle cooing"!?! It's a horrible dissonant grating noise, even before the repitition gets to you.

All wood-pigeon fans must be tone-deaf.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #21 on: 06 February, 2012, 06:58:04 pm »

(I don't know how you get the letter 'M' from their call, but anyway ... )

I took my lead from RZ's dove impersonation....

« Reply #22 on: 07 February, 2012, 08:27:15 am »
I read the book ages ago.  The trench bits really stuck with me, the feeling of suffocation, wretchedness etc.

Me too.
Shame they couldn't have made the TV programme into more than two parts, felt it could have been more thorough.

spindrift

« Reply #23 on: 08 February, 2012, 12:48:40 pm »
Ewwww, in Michael Caine's next film he falls in love with Clemence Poesy's character:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/showbiz/article-24033791-ive-fallen-for-english-sense-of-humour-says-birdsong-heroine.do

That's a bit wrong.

Steph

« Reply #24 on: 09 February, 2012, 05:10:02 pm »
Another offer here if anyone wants a copy of the book - it was quite an eye opener for the sheer horror of the mining in the trenches.
I was introduced to that particular bit of history in, of all things, a comic I was given as a child. It was, of course, all a jolly good show, including brave boys lying about their age...etc.I wasn't quite old enough back then to understand about the claykickers, but a couple of years later I was, and for me it really is the stuff of nightmares.