Author Topic: recommendation required  (Read 1145 times)

recommendation required
« on: 25 April, 2012, 01:03:09 pm »
The OH has mentioned we could do with a new compact camera, just wondered if there is any thing out there worth having for under £100,

Re: recommendation required
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2012, 01:14:13 pm »
Probably lots nowadays. Someone on here recommended the canon store on ebay for factory refurbished. I paid about 80 quid for one and it takes very good photos on auto and has a million settings to fiddle with when I feel so inclined. Not as good as an SLR but perfectly adequate as a compact and well worth the money. I imagine anything from any of the major brands will be similar at that price.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2012, 02:08:51 pm »
What do you want out of it. I'm currently playing with a shiny Nikon S30 which is water and shockproof and is about 85-100 GBP.

"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2012, 02:43:45 pm »
just general picture taking, one I can use when out on the bike, the OH when she's out with the daughter and horses etc

I do load most of my stuff on to photobucket,   

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2012, 03:50:08 pm »
Canon PowerShot A800, £40 from Argos (or £50 from Ebuyer). I think it is rather simplified, so not much in the way of manual settings, but should be fine in auto mode. It uses 2 AA batteries.

LEE

« Reply #5 on: 26 April, 2012, 01:35:10 pm »
Canon PowerShot A800, £40 from Argos (or £50 from Ebuyer). I think it is rather simplified, so not much in the way of manual settings, but should be fine in auto mode. It uses 2 AA batteries.

This /\ /\ /\

My Canon A495 has been the best value item I think I've ever bought and the A800 is some sort of close derivative.

It just takes nice photos (no HD video, just 640x480 which is fine by me) and AA batteries were a must-have for me as a cycling camera.

£40 seems like a bargain to me.

Highly recommended "snapper" for the jersey pocket when you don't want to worry about dropping an expensive camera (it's very easy to use 1-handed on the move).

Faccome = 4*0.75

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2012, 01:56:02 pm »
Pentax P80.  Nice and slim.

Spare compatible batteries can be found cheaply for most cameras, so you don't have to avoid proprietary batteries.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●