Author Topic: IAM uses very dodgy poll to claim "57% of cyclists RLJ"  (Read 20912 times)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
Re: IAM uses very dodgy poll to claim "57% of cyclists RLJ"
« Reply #150 on: 21 May, 2012, 12:42:01 pm »
Here's a thought (maybe been examined before)

If you are a cyclist crossing on green, can you break out the crossing and go with the traffic? Can you cross from the flow of traffic stopped across the cars?

If so, RLJ at that crossing appears impossible
I do that as part of my commute. I leave an off-road shared-use path to join a main road. It's a right turn on a slight bend; if I waited for the traffic to be clear both ways I'd never get to work. So I press the button at the pelican crossing and when the traffic stops, I leave the pavement and go onto the road and into the traffic flow.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #151 on: 21 May, 2012, 02:06:51 pm »
IAM boss responds to criticism with victim blaming: http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/iam-xx/013064
What a complete tool.

To me these are the very attitudes that need to change if we are to reduce the number of deaths and injuries on our roads. Your comments that the roads don't belong to any one group, and 'certainly not motorists', highlights the amount of work that lies ahead.
... because cyclists need to realise that motorists (and especially IAMs) do own the roads?

:facepalm:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #152 on: 22 May, 2012, 07:53:36 pm »
Dodgy Anecdatal Survey 2:

On South Circular this evening between Putney and Priory Lane:

Motorised vehicles with opportunity to RLJ: 14
Motorised vehicles committing RLJ: 10

Cycles with opportunity to RLJ: 10
Cycles committing RLJ: 2

Each opportunity counts as one, so the same vehicle may have had multiple opportunities to jump at the three sets of lights I was stopped at.

I didn't see the whole cycle of two of the light sets.

I only counted traffic travelling in my direction.

Only one 'off and away' RLJ (truck).  Most others were ASL incursions either at stop or trickle forward.

Two of the offending vehicles were motorcycles, and I think there were four m/c opportunities included.
Getting there...

AndyK

« Reply #153 on: 29 May, 2012, 12:07:32 pm »
An Ipsos Mori pollster's view of the IAM poll and their use of the figures.

« Reply #154 on: 31 May, 2012, 04:08:42 pm »
I registered as a 'poll respondent' with IAM about a year ago to receive automatic notification of their upcoming surveys.  I just got an e-mail from them that starts:

"Dear poll respondents,
Please participate in our latest poll - driving abroad
You may not have heard from us in a while. We’ve had a switch over of database systems at IAM Chiswick, and in the process we weren’t able to access poll respondents for a while."

Which is true, I hadn't received any requests for a while. I learned of the 'red light' poll through this forum. So was the most recent poll only completed by those who heard about it on the grapevine rather than the usual IAM respondents? and would this have affected the results?