Author Topic: Help me find a wool beanie!  (Read 2128 times)

Help me find a wool beanie!
« on: 16 December, 2008, 10:01:43 pm »
I quite like the lab-gear ones, nice and thin, but I don't like the colour combos available.
Lab Gear Merino Beanie  Review - BikeRadar

They don't have the one with the white stripe any more.
I'd be quite happy with a plain black wool beanie. any ideas?

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: Help me find a wool beanie!
« Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2008, 10:03:47 pm »
Icebreaker
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2 on: 16 December, 2008, 10:07:36 pm »
You need to ask that nice Mrs. Wowbagger to make you one.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 16 December, 2008, 10:07:58 pm »
I'm guessing that it probably does - but if it doesn't have to be wool, I'd give this from Mountain Hardware my top tip.

Windproof, toasty even when wet, and no itchy head.

inc

« Reply #4 on: 16 December, 2008, 10:23:48 pm »

I'd be quite happy with a plain black wool beanie. any ideas?

The Mountain Factor Limited > Icebreaker Pocket 200 - Black/Pewter - Medium I have used them loads of times. good service

« Reply #5 on: 17 December, 2008, 02:23:40 am »
Try these: https://www.smartwool.com/default.cfm#/Search/beanie/_/_/ .

The cuffed beanie and the training beanie are excellent, and both are available in black. They also make an excellent helmet liner and a very nice balaclava. The brand is apparently available in the UK, but a quick google didn't turn up any UK retailers that sold the beanies.

« Reply #6 on: 17 December, 2008, 03:10:50 am »
Does it have to be a beanie? What about a wool cycling cap? Much nicer IMO and Swrve make some good ones as do Walz (with the bonus of having different sizes instead of this one size fits all malarkly) as long as you don't mind getting it from the states (works out about £22 including delivery and taxes I think).

« Reply #7 on: 17 December, 2008, 09:05:11 am »
Icebreaker
What she said - I have one of the Icebreaker pocket 200 hats and its great. Thin enough to fit under a lid if you wear one, but toasty warm even if worn on its own. Available in proper sizes as well, rather than just 'one size fits nobody'  :thumbsup:

bikenerd

« Reply #8 on: 17 December, 2008, 09:33:04 am »
Does it have to be a beanie? What about a wool cycling cap? Much nicer IMO and Swrve make some good ones as do Walz (with the bonus of having different sizes instead of this one size fits all malarkly) as long as you don't mind getting it from the states (works out about £22 including delivery and taxes I think).

The Swrve hats are of exceptional quality and even fit my surprisingly large head!  I have a cotton one, which is warm enough for me.  I just wish they'd do a wool one with ear flaps.
The Walz caps.  I've had the wool ones, with earflaps and without in the "smaller" size and a cotton one in the "larger" size.  I sold the wool ones as they were tiny.  The cotton one is too large!  Gggr.  I much prefer the Swrve caps as they fit properly and have a stiff peak.  The Walz caps only have a floppy peak.

Zoidburg

« Reply #9 on: 17 December, 2008, 05:37:31 pm »
I picked up two from Marks and Spencer, a twin set of grey and black

Fine for most rides, I tend to take them off and shove them in a jersey pocket after a while as I over heat with a beanie on unless its full on winky shrinking cold outside

I paid about 6 or 7 quid I believe