Author Topic: n+1 (again), I couldn't help myself ....  (Read 4000 times)

n+1 (again), I couldn't help myself ....
« on: 26 January, 2016, 09:14:20 pm »
Mint Turquoise
Box and basket
22"

http://elephantbike.co.uk/

Re: n+1 (again), I couldn't help myself ....
« Reply #1 on: 26 January, 2016, 10:35:03 pm »
Nice one, and one to Africa... :thumbsup: 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

rr

« Reply #2 on: 26 January, 2016, 11:36:18 pm »
snap

« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2016, 01:39:58 am »

« Reply #4 on: 27 January, 2016, 08:10:50 am »
What a cool idea and a very cool bike.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #5 on: 27 January, 2016, 11:11:50 pm »
What a cool idea and a very cool bike.
Almost worth becoming a postie for .... if they still used them!

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #6 on: 30 January, 2016, 10:30:14 am »
There was a mint condition Mailstar on eBay in the last few days.  It finished yesterday and the top bid was just £114.  You get a lot of bike, metallurgically speaking, for that money!

But I'm still tempted by an Elephant Bike, with a view to electrifying it and giving it to my parents to (tell them to) use for their shopping trips instead of driving a couple of miles along the road.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #7 on: 30 January, 2016, 06:42:04 pm »
Earlier this month I bought a Pashley Pronto (christened Penelope) off eBay.  She started life as a works bike at The Atomic Weapons Establishment, Aldermaston.  I'm loving utility cycling ...

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #8 on: 30 January, 2016, 07:20:44 pm »
Look nice bikes. Would be funny cycling to my postie job, on a refurbished ex postie bike!   ;D

« Reply #9 on: 30 January, 2016, 09:56:06 pm »
Earlier this month I bought a Pashley Pronto (christened Penelope) off eBay.  She started life as a works bike at The Atomic Weapons Establishment, Aldermaston.  I'm loving utility cycling ...

Is that why it glows orange?

« Reply #10 on: 30 January, 2016, 09:57:00 pm »
Look nice bikes. Would be funny cycling to my postie job, on a refurbished ex postie bike!   ;D
;D

KinskiGetsAngry

« Reply #11 on: 20 April, 2016, 05:30:00 pm »
Why could you not stop yourself ?
It's a munter. :sick:

« Reply #12 on: 20 April, 2016, 07:02:05 pm »
If what you say isn't helpful, useful or kind, it's probably best that you don't bother saying it in the first place.

At least, that's what they tell the children in the local primary school.
Rust never sleeps

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
n+1 (again), I couldn't help myself ....
« Reply #13 on: 20 April, 2016, 07:11:18 pm »
The new episode of the Bike Show podcast has an interview with the person behind Elephant Bikes. I'm very tempted to get one - I don't currently have a cargo bike, so it would be a good excuse.

(The same show also includes an interview with Emily Chappell, btw.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #14 on: 20 April, 2016, 08:01:20 pm »
But I'm still tempted by an Elephant Bike, with a view to electrifying it and giving it to my parents to (tell them to) use for their shopping trips instead of driving a couple of miles along the road.
I was looking at the same idea, but it wouldn't be that straightforward, I think. The forks don't have brake braze-ons, so that eliminates a front hub drive. The rear frame set up too isn't equipped for brakes, so that seems to rule out a RWD option. I spose a mid drive solution could work, but that then becomes rather expensive. E.g. http://www.electricbikeconversions.co.uk/product/250w-mid-drive-conversion-kit-with-13a-battery/
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #15 on: 20 April, 2016, 09:35:34 pm »
I was looking at the same idea, but it wouldn't be that straightforward, I think. The forks don't have brake braze-ons, so that eliminates a front hub drive. The rear frame set up too isn't equipped for brakes, so that seems to rule out a RWD option. I spose a mid drive solution could work, but that then becomes rather expensive. E.g. http://www.electricbikeconversions.co.uk/product/250w-mid-drive-conversion-kit-with-13a-battery/

I'm quite tempted myself as I fancy a box at the front style cargo bike but when they are almost 4k for the electric assist version one of these for under a grand with the motor kit is quite appealing.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #16 on: 21 April, 2016, 06:59:38 am »
I'm lovin' my Pashley Pronto!  We've done over 100 miles now and I've of driven most of those miles. 

The other day I got a shallow Tesco trolley full of shopping in Penelope's panniers and front tray, a lot of the shopping was quite heavy which led to some frame flex and interesting handling but we got home with no drama.

I can thoroughly recommend the Pronto, Mailstar or Elephant Bike (all the same bike) as a cost effective cargo bike.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #17 on: 21 April, 2016, 07:39:49 am »
They look great.  The Post over here has recently equipped its bike posties with eBikes. Wonder what happened to the old ones...
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight