Author Topic: MTB road tyres that are reasonably priced and puncture resistant  (Read 2638 times)

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
I have been asked by someone which tyres would suit an MTB (26" wheels") and offer reasonable resistance to punctures.

The tread could be reasonably smooth as these are only used for paths/roads/tracks.

What are your suggestions?

H

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: MTB road tyres that are reasonably priced and puncture resistant
« Reply #1 on: 26 March, 2013, 10:26:14 am »
I'm currently running Bontrager H2 which are fine in the summer. No punctures yet. I've used Nokian AWS and Schwalbe City Jet before and not had anything bad to say about them. I'd love another pair of AWS but they are hard to find. You could always try the 'hello Kitty' ones.

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

« Reply #2 on: 26 March, 2013, 10:28:10 am »
It just so happens that I have a pair of very lightly used 35-559 road tyres. Pretty robust, as I recall (certainly got a fair bit of rubber on 'em), roll well (light tread - think touring tyre), & very reasonably priced. Postage would do. Michelin, but I can't remember the model.

One drawback, though, which is why I haven't used 'em for ages: they're a bugger to get on & off.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 26 March, 2013, 12:55:15 pm »
Any reason not to go for Schwalbe Marathon?  40-559 or so.

Hummers

« Reply #4 on: 26 March, 2013, 12:56:26 pm »
Nope, none and I have no experience of 26" tyres.

H

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2013, 12:58:05 pm »
I have them in 40-559 and 40-406 on the 'bent.  Roll well on road, grippy enough for mild off-road.  I've had two punctures (one front, one back) in 9000 miles.  Got 40-559 Marathons on the tandem too, but that doesn't do enough mileage to count for anything.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #6 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:02:11 pm »
+1 for the Marathons. Only good experience with them in 20" 26" & 700C sizes.

« Reply #7 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:15:10 pm »
I use marathons or city jets on the mtb for road duty.  The city jets are very good for such a low cost tyre.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #8 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:27:13 pm »
My wife has M+ on her mtb for taking the kids to school. Never had a puncture in 2 years. Tread is still fresh and deep.
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

« Reply #9 on: 26 March, 2013, 01:59:51 pm »
Isn't the drawback of Marathon Plus that when you do eventually get a puncture, you end up buying a new wheel because it's easier than getting the tyre off?

May contain elements of exaggeration.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 26 March, 2013, 02:03:43 pm »
This is why I prefer the regular Marathon, unless  a) you really can't fix a puncture   or  b) you can fold the bike up and put it in a train/taxi

The do cooperate with some rims, though, and are better behaved in the wider sizes.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #11 on: 26 March, 2013, 02:05:43 pm »
Just to echo everyone else, City Jets are very good, especially for the price.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 26 March, 2013, 02:53:43 pm »
Regular Marathons (about £16)

I use 26x2.0" on my old MTB for a bit of relaxed comfort although the 1.75 and 1.5 are also fine (I did my first SR series on 26x1.5" Marathons on my Thorn).

These are the 1.75", probably the best compromise for a general purpose tyre (although I like the look of the fatter 2.0")

Note.  That weird looking bike-shaped object on the floor is a shadow of my bike.  It's caused by the Sun shining on my bike.

It comes from the sky, like snow and rain, but drier and warmer.

SJSC do the 26x2.0" for £12 each !!!!! grab them while you can, they look great and ride really nicely.
They have genuine (dry) off-road ability as well.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schwalbe-marathon-hs368-rigid-tyre-26-x-200-inch-(50-559)-pre-2011-prod13913/

Standard Marathons go on/off very easily.

« Reply #13 on: 26 March, 2013, 02:57:42 pm »
I'd go for the regular Marathons. Or Paselas, for a smoother ride (though they're not as hard-wearing as Marathons).

I didn't find the City Jets particularly puncture-resistant, though they gave a good ride.

Hummers

« Reply #14 on: 27 March, 2013, 07:52:11 am »
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Will let the chap know that asked me.

H

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #15 on: 27 March, 2013, 10:39:39 pm »
Isn't the drawback of Marathon Plus that when you do eventually get a puncture, you end up buying a new wheel because it's easier than getting the tyre off?

May contain elements of exaggeration.

They are a devil to get off although the first time I ever changed a tyre it was to remove a worn out M+ and replace it with a Marathon Extreme. Before wearing it out I'd pulled inch-long thorns out of it that hadn't gone through, and on a ride with a bunch of friends it seemed everyone else was getting punctures while I wasn't.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 27 March, 2013, 11:34:23 pm »
Getting M+s off isn't usually the problem.  It's getting them back on again!

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #17 on: 28 March, 2013, 01:11:49 am »
Getting M+s off isn't usually the problem.  It's getting them back on again!

That's what tyre levers, and expletives, are there for.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

« Reply #18 on: 28 March, 2013, 03:06:50 am »
I have the 26" version on the schwalbe durano. My experience is exactly the same as with the 700c version discussed elsewhere - i.e great durable road tyre, which seems to cope admirably with shell-hole-ridden streets of Bristol, no flyweight but pretty quick, excellent puncture resistance, and seem to have coped with being ridden round Ashton Court and Leigh Woods a fair amount into the bargain. I have been meaning to source another set for our tandem as well.
I like maps me

« Reply #19 on: 28 March, 2013, 07:53:17 am »
I'm on Conti UltraGatorskins 26 x 1.125. ( 28 - 559 )
Tough to get on when new.

100 psi.

« Reply #20 on: 28 March, 2013, 10:35:23 am »
I'm a fan of Schwalbe Big Apple's in 26x2.00 size. They give a smooth, comfortable ride and have been p*ncture proof so far.

They cost around £21 each though, so not sure if that is reasonably priced?

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #21 on: 28 March, 2013, 05:53:58 pm »
I'll go against the grain now ::-)  for about 11 years and 2 bikes, I've used 1.5  specialized nimbus armadillos. I swear by them, even done rough stuff /mtb weekends on them. they are now on my C.93 orange P7. In 11 of use, (not the same tyres!) I've had 3 punctures!  2 were the valves pulling out of the tube, and 1 was a masonry nail in a electrical cable clip. I had a fleeting daliance with some other tyres? but after 3 punctures, I sold them on. ::-)

rr

« Reply #22 on: 28 March, 2013, 10:39:53 pm »
I'll go against the grain now ::-)  for about 11 years and 2 bikes, I've used 1.5  specialized nimbus armadillos. I swear by them, even done rough stuff /mtb weekends on them. they are now on my C.93 orange P7. In 11 of use, (not the same tyres!) I've had 3 punctures!  2 were the valves pulling out of the tube, and 1 was a masonry nail in a electrical cable clip. I had a fleeting daliance with some other tyres? but after 3 punctures, I sold them on. ::-)

I've had good experience with the straight (non-armadillo) nimbuses several thousand miles including some narly offroad with no visits. Feeling the two types in the shop the ordinary ones feel a lot more flexible.