Author Topic: R.E.M. to split  (Read 1052 times)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
R.E.M. to split
« on: 21 September, 2011, 07:12:21 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: R.E.M. to split
« Reply #1 on: 21 September, 2011, 07:15:08 pm »
Sad to say but I think New Adventures In HiFi was the last decent thing they did, and we didn't bother buying anything after Reveal.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2 on: 21 September, 2011, 07:42:15 pm »
I agree with Mrs Pingu about New Adventures........

I can't say that I'm sad about the split; great though I thought they once were, they seem a bit irrelevant now.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #3 on: 21 September, 2011, 07:52:49 pm »
They had a definite lull after New Adventures but Accelerate and Collapse Into Now were a return to form I think.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 21 September, 2011, 08:02:54 pm »
Um...I thought they'd split years ago.

I was watching some early REM videos the other night.  Better than I thought at the time (when there were an awful lot of jangly guiitars about).
Getting there...

Rhys W

• I'm single, bilingual
    • Cardiff Ajax
« Reply #5 on: 21 September, 2011, 11:39:41 pm »
They should have knocked it on the head 15 years ago. Then they could reform now, play the first 5 albums again and everybody would think they were great. One of my favourite ever bands, but they've been going through the motions for a while. I love Peter Buck's guitar style, Mike Mills's harmonies and Michael Stipe's air of intelligent mystery. And Bill Berry's monobrow.

When I was a youngster they were a mysterious well-kept secret that only real music fans bothered to find out about. They hit their peak in around 1989 and rode it for a couple of years. Last time I saw them, about 5 years ago, the crowd seemed to be composed of dull 30-something couples, shaven headed husbands dressed in "surf wear" drunkenly singing along to Shiny Happy People and Everybody Hurts without a sense of irony whilst their long-suffering wives looked on disapprovingly. Yuck. I have Chronic Town on vinyl you know!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #6 on: 21 September, 2011, 11:56:08 pm »
One of them left ages ago.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 22 September, 2011, 06:30:47 am »
The rot set in with "Monster", didn't it?  That was nearly 20 years ago.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 22 September, 2011, 10:45:30 am »
Everyone likes to bash Monster, but they evolved.  If you only like the old stuff, fair enough, but I reckon their more recent music is just as good, in a different way.  I reckon Up was a bloody good album, easily in line with Document.  I've even warmed to Monster over the years.

They may be dad-music, but so is the entirety of my meager CD collection.  Barakta and I saw them live a few years ago (pre-Obama), and their performance of Final Straw was amazing.  Okay, we're a dull 30-something couple, but so what?

Anyway, where are the puns?  It's the end of the world as we know it!

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #9 on: 22 September, 2011, 10:51:23 am »
Damn!  I saw this thread title and thought it was going to be a ride report from Croatia, starting at some-abbreviated-place I'd never heard of...