Author Topic: My First Stolen Bicyle Experience  (Read 1566 times)

My First Stolen Bicyle Experience
« on: 06 February, 2013, 02:28:05 pm »
Afternoon

After many years service, my trusty yet tired Brompton was stolen from outside Ironmonger Row swimming pool last week. It was attached to the railings outside with a cable lock and while I was in for my daily lunch time swim someone decided to help themselves with the aid of a set of bolt cutters. :'(
This is the first experience with having to deal with a matter of this nature (first time I've had anything stolen and I'm 42!) and so far has not been entirely great. This is in no way a general criticism of anyone, just a personal observation of my circumstances so far.

After my longer than expected walk back to work I promptly set about reporting the theft to relevant authorities.

POLICE
Looking at the Met Police website I discovered (as with most things) I can report this online. Great! Save me the bother of going down to a police station and they can deal with my woes when it's a bit more convenient. I filled in the online 'questionaire' , received a reference number and a message saying someone would contact me in 72 hours. So far, so so.
A week later and no response. So I go to the police station on Bishopsgate which is a City of London Polce station and am told . Yes you can report the crime here but we are COL police, not Met police and it will take 7-10 days to get a response. Call 101 and find out why they haven't contacted you.
SO phone 101, explain that I've filled in an online form and spent 10 minutes on hold while they try to put me through to central crime unit. No joy so I am give a number to try myself later. Eventually get through only to be told that they have no record of my online submission, or me anywhere, despite having copies of my report and a reference number. 'Phone 101 and report it there.'
So I have now reported again by speaking to an actual person and am awaiting a call back 'within 24 hours'.
Now after over a week of waiting I am still no nearer giving details or having the all important crime number.

Brompton
The bike was bought and registered with Brompton using a previous work email address in 2006. As I now have no access to the email and couldn't remember the password (who would after 7 years?) I emailed Brompton and gave them all relevant details and within an hour I had a reply from Clare at Brompton support with the frame and serial number and my Brompton account updated with my persnal email address. fantastic :thumbsup:

Insurance
My bikes are covered by my home and contents insurance so knew I had cover, but how much? I phoned and explained the circumstances and they said 'Fine.Send over receipt/ bank statement and any other proof of ownership (photos etc) and we'll see what we can do.'
Before I called, I checked the current price of the bike (twice what I paid!! :o) and included accessories I had bought (Brooks B17 Special - up from £30 to £90!!!! :o :o). Because of the staggering increase in prices I have requested a like for like replacement and it is looking likely that I may actually get a NEW bike and accessories or equivalent value in Evans vouchers. Result! 

Only one catch - I need the bloody crime number!!

More to follow.......

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
Re: My First Stolen Bicyle Experience
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2013, 02:53:40 pm »
Commiserations.  I know what it feels like: horrible.

Hopefully your insurance policy isn't too fussy about the type of lock used.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2013, 09:30:37 am »
Police Update

Reported the theft again over the phone yesterday afternoon and had a call a couple of hours later to fill in the details and received a crime number.

So it looks like its better to actually speak to someone rather than report online.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2013, 11:13:25 pm »
Joy, yet another organisation with pointless online systems which don't work so you have to phone.  I shall bear this in mind when I do the "hello, deaf git here, meet my cluehammer!".

Hope you get a new bike soon!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #4 on: 08 February, 2013, 06:55:57 am »
What a PITA!  And not remotely fit for purpose. :(
Getting there...

« Reply #5 on: 08 February, 2013, 10:33:48 am »
Well, after speaking to an actual human being 24 hours ago things have moved on apace and the police have dealt with me in a swift and quite efficient manner.

POLICE - Called back yesterday and said they had CCTV footage but unfortunately they couldn't make an ID as the quality was too poor. On that basis they have nothing really to go on so won't be investigating further. ADvised me to kep an eye out online.
So it's sadly goodbye old friend. The old faithful Brommie was the first bike I bought when getting back in to cycling a few years ago and has been used and abused on many thousands of miles commuting. :'(

INSURANCE - also called yesterday and said that their preferred supplier would be calling me to discuss the specifications of the stolen bike as had put down accessories also. They called a short time later and asked a few questions. Then the guy on the phone said 'Hang on I'll be back in a minute', put me on hold then came back and said 'On current market value I will be advising the insurance company to send you a cheque to cover the cost of brand new replacement Brommie, Brooks and all other accessories stolen'. Result ! :thumbsup:

So my insurance company has turned around and settled my claim within 8 days  :o of the actual theft taking place. Shameless plug for the Co-operative Home Insurance Service. :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #6 on: 08 February, 2013, 10:38:56 am »
Congratulations on a good result from a bad situation.

Thinks: I'm glad I transferred my hose contents insurance to the Co-op the last time it became due! :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 08 February, 2013, 10:39:38 am »
...hose contents insurance ...

An unusual policy.
Getting there...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2013, 10:41:04 am »

An unusual policy.

I've always been very non-u, as you know.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #9 on: 08 February, 2013, 11:06:25 am »
Assuming it's the Ironmonger Row baths in London:

Please contact the MET Cycle Task Force.  They give more of a shit than local plod.  We want the crims caught even if you don't want your bike back.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #10 on: 08 February, 2013, 11:10:09 am »

An unusual policy.

I've always been very non-u, as you know.

And you haven't always been content to keep the contents of your hose fully covered.
Getting there...

« Reply #11 on: 11 February, 2013, 10:44:01 am »
Assuming it's the Ironmonger Row baths in London:

Please contact the MET Cycle Task Force.  They give more of a shit than local plod.  We want the crims caught even if you don't want your bike back.

Biggsy.

Don't get me wrong. I'd take my original bike back in a minute if I could have it. It's got sentimental value, my children were in tears when I told them it had been stolen and that bike's the reason why my pensioner parents are now cycling all over Norfolk on Bromptons and going on cycling holidays all over Europe.
I've suprised at the efficiency that the insurance company has dealt with it and the local police, once informed have done what they could in a short space of time. TBH I didn't expect the polce to get anywhere and is probably petty crime to them compared to other stuff they have to deal with.
I've forwarded the details to cycle task force and have put details on the stolen bike register and Brompton register. I've also got alerts coming in every day from the Find that Bike website which gives details of bikes for sale on Gumtree, Ebay etc.

Cheers
Chris

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 11 February, 2013, 01:42:47 pm »
Sounds like you're doing all the right things.  :thumbsup:

I didn't let my pensioner mum have a go on my Brommie.  I thought it'd be too twitchy as she's used to a more stable bike with "slower" steering.  The S-bars are rather low as well.