Author Topic: credit card fraud  (Read 1002 times)

credit card fraud
« on: 02 April, 2013, 09:25:56 pm »
Now you know how wearing a tinfoil hat protects you from aliens, well apparently to prevent your credit cards etc being scanned while still in your bag or pocket you need to keep them wrapped in tinfoil or an aluminium case. Not sure if it's the aliens trying to scan them though :facepalm:

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Re: credit card fraud
« Reply #1 on: 02 April, 2013, 09:33:53 pm »
I just keep them under my hat. Or I would if I had any.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2 on: 02 April, 2013, 11:28:57 pm »
Or just not have 'contactless' cards in the first place.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 02 April, 2013, 11:54:30 pm »
Or just not have 'contactless' cards in the first place.

Contactless cards need to be 'enabled' by entering a PIN the first time they are used in contactless mode.
As many banks' cashcards now have this dubious facility, just don't enable contactless.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2013, 09:37:15 am »
I'd need to check, but I assume the bank is liable for any disputed contactless transactions where you didn't enter a PIN.  Barclays say

Remember: should you experience card fraud, provided you report your card lost or stolen or misused, and you have not acted fraudulently or without reasonable care, you will not be liable for any fraudulent transactions.

There is a similar situation with Internet banking; most banks will refund fraud losses because they need to maintain confidence in the system.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2013, 10:02:38 am »
Don't most contactless cards have a limit per transaction?  I use mine on my debit card to get my lunch in Boots (only £3.79).

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2013, 11:08:04 am »
Don't most contactless cards have a limit per transaction?  I use mine on my debit card to get my lunch in Boots (only £3.79).

£20 (it was raised from £15 on 1st June 2012).
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2013, 11:12:08 am »
On another forum, someone claimed a contactless debit card was debited despite presenting his Freedom pass to a London bus Oyster reader. The system is supposed to refuse cards when more than one is detected.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2013, 01:21:01 pm »
On another forum, someone claimed a contactless debit card was debited despite presenting his Freedom pass to a London bus Oyster reader. The system is supposed to refuse cards when more than one is detected.

That presupposes one card does not 'mask' the next.
I'd imagine a reader 'bites' at the first card it 'sees' and doesn't 'look' for any more.

I know why my Freedom Pass is in the outer pocket of my bumbag and the purse containing cash and credit cards is in the main bag.