Author Topic: Hit by van.  (Read 1761 times)

Hit by van.
« on: 19 August, 2008, 06:51:14 pm »
Bad idea: Stopping behind commercial vehicles at a junction.

Why? Because said commercial vehicle may unexpectedly reverse, despite huge blind spot that could easily hide a small car, let alone a cyclist.

Despite sound of cyclist being struck by back of van, Mr van driver may continue reversing until cyclist drags them self off the floor just before going under the rear wheels, and banging on the side of van.  >:(

Lesson learned this morning: Stay out of the blind spots, even if there is no possible reason for the vehicle to need to reverse.
Don't ask.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Hit by van.
« Reply #1 on: 19 August, 2008, 06:53:37 pm »
Another "Bloody hell, are you OK?" from me.

Did you report him to the police?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 19 August, 2008, 07:01:11 pm »
Did you report him to the police?

No.

There was no damage to the bike other than a slight mark on the saddle and I'm uninjured. Just shaken.

It wasn't deliberate and he was very apologetic once he realized what had happened. I think he learned a lesson too, he's definitely going to be more conscious of the blind spot in future.

One to file under 'shit happens' methinks.
Don't ask.

Rapples

« Reply #3 on: 19 August, 2008, 07:02:43 pm »
I like those stickers on the back of some HGV's.  If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you.

No excuse for reversing into anything, but so very true :thumbsup:

Glad you are OK

« Reply #4 on: 19 August, 2008, 07:06:08 pm »
Where was this? I saw the aftermath of some sort of incident on the Fulham Road this morning, near the Brompton Hospital, in which a van of some sort was involved. The cyclist was on his feet and looking OK when I walked by.

This was at a point where there are roadworks, temporary lights and associated bad tempered drivers at what is already a very bad little T-junction for collisions - mostly minor, but a pedestrian was killed there a little while ago  :(

Glad you are ok.

« Reply #5 on: 19 August, 2008, 07:12:47 pm »
This was in just off the A60 in Mansfield, so not the incident you saw.

The junction I was stopped at is one I pass through most days, and am always vigilant going though due to regular numptys confusing who has right of way.
Don't ask.

Chris S

« Reply #6 on: 19 August, 2008, 07:36:21 pm »
I like those stickers on the back of some HGV's.  If you can't see my mirrors I can't see you.

I think we need some new stickers.

How about: "Caution! I may randomly reverse over your f*cking head at any time, without a care."

Rapples

« Reply #7 on: 19 August, 2008, 07:47:52 pm »
LOL

But actually as Luke said the guy was genuinely sorry.  The consequences of reversing into a car are inconvienient, but I don't think drivers generally intent to squish cyclists it's just the consequences of their bad judgements are far more catastrophic.

Many of drive aswell.  there but for the grace of God etc!!!!

« Reply #8 on: 20 August, 2008, 10:39:06 am »
Blimey.
Glad you're OK Luke.
Sounds like the force was with you.

« Reply #9 on: 20 August, 2008, 10:42:00 am »
Glad you're okay anyway. Saw a similar incident a while ago when on a narrow country road. This time van backed into a motorbike to allow an oncoming car to pass.

Unfortunately his bars were about the same height as his 'delicates'. I still wince when thinking about it now...

alan

« Reply #10 on: 20 August, 2008, 11:38:04 am »
Luke,
I am very relieved that you are not hurt.