Author Topic: Brakes and rain  (Read 1315 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Brakes and rain
« on: 13 October, 2013, 02:24:21 am »
I use Clarkes triple compound pads on my bike with CXP33s on my bike. Which has been a great combo until I changed the rims for new ones and since then I have little or no braking power in the wet.

Is this because the new surfaces are too smooth? Will better pads work? Recommendations?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Brakes and rain
« Reply #1 on: 13 October, 2013, 02:55:39 am »
Apparently the Swissstop Blue is the new top of the range, how do they compare to Koolstop Salmons?

Also has anyone compared the Discobrakes verson to Koolstop Salmons? Though I can't seem to find them anymore.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #2 on: 13 October, 2013, 07:54:20 am »
Blue is for ceramic rims http://www.swissstop.ch/Compounds.aspx  I use Green since my rims are plain aluminium and like them a lot.  I'd say better than Koolstop Salmon but not everybody agrees == of course.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #3 on: 13 October, 2013, 08:26:18 am »
They have rejigged their models/colours slightly:

http://www.swissstop.ch/Road.aspx

The blue BXP is their top pad for aluminium rims now.

I haven't used the blues yet. I have run greens for around 3 years now - no issues, they work, they last forever and I trust them in all conditions. Bike with me on top will weigh less than 75Kg, so I don't stress braking components as much as some.

I assume that the blues will be a little softer than the greens and may not last as long.

Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #4 on: 13 October, 2013, 08:32:43 am »
They even changed the green colour to a very dark green that looks almost black. Got me very confused.

But, they are excellent. Ridiculously expensive, but they work much better in the wet than anything else I've used.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 13 October, 2013, 08:41:32 am »
Swisstop sky blue on ceramic rims only work when the water has been scraped off the surface (takes a couple of wheel rotations).  the only brake that works instantly in the wet is a coaster brake  :)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 13 October, 2013, 09:57:17 am »
I've decided to give the Koolstop Salmons ago as they managed to come in at half the price of the Swissstops, so I'll see how they go.

Support Equilibrium

« Reply #7 on: 13 October, 2013, 10:02:09 am »
They even changed the green colour to a very dark green that looks almost black. Got me very confused.

But, they are excellent. Ridiculously expensive, but they work much better in the wet than anything else I've used.

Agree, they are better than koolstop salmon, and last a lot longer. The price seems a lot for what looks like just a small piece of rubber, but given how long they last it's not a lot of money compared to other consumables like tyres, chains, etc.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 13 October, 2013, 10:15:50 am »
I've had the green in the past, it was great but squealed like a pig in heat in both wet and dry, I then changed over to the Clarke which worked almost as well but no noise.

Support Equilibrium

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #9 on: 13 October, 2013, 11:01:47 am »
I've decided to give the Koolstop Salmons ago as they managed to come in at half the price of the Swissstops, so I'll see how they go.

I assume you noticed this, but Swiss stop generally come in packs of 4, so from memory they are really not much more than others (I.e. Still very expensive for some rubbery stuff).

I am sure salmons are just fine though.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #10 on: 13 October, 2013, 11:15:13 am »
Yip I did.

Support Equilibrium

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 13 October, 2013, 01:49:36 pm »
If the rims are new, could it be that the pads just need a bit of bedding in?

Ride through a few muddy puddles, or something?

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #12 on: 13 October, 2013, 02:20:59 pm »
They've done about 200 miles wet and dry.

Support Equilibrium

Squarewheels

• Too much cake :sick:
« Reply #13 on: 14 October, 2013, 08:49:23 pm »
Swisstop sky blue on ceramic rims only work when the water has been scraped off the surface (takes a couple of wheel rotations).  the only brake that works instantly in the wet is a coaster brake  :)

Or a wall - though its not technically a brake, more of a break...

« Reply #14 on: 14 October, 2013, 09:11:38 pm »
[pedant] Leg braking works instantly as well, unless you have a freewheel. [/pedant]