Author Topic: Washing drivetrain bits in dishwasher?  (Read 3831 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Washing drivetrain bits in dishwasher?
« Reply #25 on: 11 October, 2013, 01:24:21 pm »
Possible silly question, but what's wrong with giving the chain a Sheldon Shake and scrubbing the sprockety bits in the sink with a brush and some degreaser?

+1 More or less what I've always done.

Remove chain with quick link and put into big pickle jar with paraffin.  Shake vigorously.  Remove and hang to dry.  If that doesn't work, spread out on old tea tray and scrub with an old washing up brush.

Remove rear wheel and clean cassette in situ using degreaser and appropriately sized brushes.  I'm given to understand that you can buy special sprocket cleaning brushes, but I usually default to using an old toothbrush.  Rinse degreaser off with garden hose.

Sorted  :)
Must try some paraffin gherkins.  :D
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #26 on: 11 October, 2013, 01:40:12 pm »
Promise man cake1.
Get man2 in.
Make cake1.

Sorted.

1: Other bribes may be equally effective.
2: Other genders may be more to your taste.

Alternatively, find teenager who needs money.

Actually, don't bother - they'll find you...

« Reply #27 on: 11 October, 2013, 04:11:58 pm »
A perfect solution to this could be one of those worktop dishwashers, fed from a tank of white spirit.

What could possibly go wrong?

The  worktop dishwasher might prefer cake rather than white spirit (I know I would!)!!

Although cake doesn't flow very well out of a tank!!

(I should point out that I am not a worktop dishwasher, I'm more the floorstanding variety.)

« Reply #28 on: 11 October, 2013, 04:36:15 pm »
A perfect solution to this could be one of those worktop dishwashers, fed from a tank of white spirit.

The council and the Water company come round and prosecute Paul for flushing a hydrocarbon based liquid into the sewer system.

You may as well go the whole hog and clean your metal parts in trichloroethylene using an ultrasonic cleaning bath.

A jigger full of Tric'.

LEE

« Reply #29 on: 13 October, 2013, 05:02:52 pm »

The council and the Water company come round and prosecute Paul for flushing a hydrocarbon based liquid into the sewer system.

You may as well go the whole hog and clean your metal parts in trichloroethylene using an ultrasonic cleaning bath.

A jigger full of Tric'.

What do you think happens to the thousands of gallons of White Spirit sold annually in B&Q for cleaning paint brushes?

« Reply #30 on: 13 October, 2013, 05:59:39 pm »
Baby-wipes/wet wipes (tissues)?