Author Topic: Press fit bb assembly-grease, paste or nothing?  (Read 1188 times)

Press fit bb assembly-grease, paste or nothing?
« on: 10 March, 2014, 08:40:36 pm »
About to install my first press fit bb. She'll is plain carbon, no metal sleeves. So do I use grease, or carbon assembly paste, or just assemble it dry?
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Re: Press fit bb assembly-grease, paste or nothing?
« Reply #2 on: 10 March, 2014, 09:26:35 pm »
Ah, and I'd skimmed that article earlier today! Thanks  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3 on: 10 March, 2014, 09:49:15 pm »
I found that my press fit in a similar situation squeaked just a little in the dry.  I therefore took them out and used a little Loctite smeared round the mating surfaces and it has been fine ever since.

« Reply #4 on: 10 March, 2014, 09:51:46 pm »
Speaking from a position of total ignorance, if the idea is to prevent creaking due to movement, I'd have thought that a smear of assembly paste would be a good idea.

Grease on carbon, clearly not, but what's the score with threadlock - is that a bad thing with carbon too?

« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2014, 01:37:17 pm »
I've asked Hope (for it is their BB I'm using) to advise. Might also call Primera (from whence the frame came) to see what they say too.

Edit: Hope say they use a "medium viscosity grease Mobil XHP222".

« Reply #6 on: 11 March, 2014, 03:54:57 pm »
Speaking from a position of total ignorance, if the idea is to prevent creaking due to movement, I'd have thought that a smear of assembly paste would be a good idea.

Grease on carbon, clearly not, but what's the score with threadlock - is that a bad thing with carbon too?

I wouldn't.  Carbon composite assembly paste shouldn't hurt and might prevent creaks, although one that is installed squarely into a quality shell shouldn't squeak in the first place.