Author Topic: Broadcasting Priorities  (Read 1675 times)

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
Broadcasting Priorities
« on: 18 July, 2014, 07:53:19 pm »

When the football is on every single nanosecond of it has to be filmed, if the match goes into extra time the programmes scheduled to follow it get cancelled to cater for the football, and it appears to be anathema to do anything less than cover the entire match. Yet when the cycling is on (I'm thinking of the lesser known events like, say, the Tour de France) some days we just get a couple of hours of footage and an hour of highlights?

It would be nice to see that balance shifted a little. Maybe cancel the football to make room for more cycling. I'd vote for that.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Broadcasting Priorities
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2014, 07:59:07 pm »
With your wallet?
It is simpler than it looks.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #2 on: 19 July, 2014, 09:08:54 am »
With your wallet?

Depends what the price was.
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3 on: 19 July, 2014, 09:40:32 am »
Unfortunately, it is quite a lot, I'd imagine.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #4 on: 19 July, 2014, 11:39:40 pm »
personally I hate football and think it should be banned from all terrestrial tv thereby leaving loads of empty space that could be filled by showing cycling and cricket,

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5 on: 20 July, 2014, 08:21:27 am »
Pah!  It's fookin' luxury compared to the "halcyon" days of "Grandstand" and "World Of Sport".  If I was at home I'd have access to a book of Russell Brockbank cartoons, one of which has the four leaders of a motor race coming neck and neck towards the line for the finish of the century when the TV coverage cuts to a muddy man in Wigan digging a hole with his boot.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #6 on: 20 July, 2014, 04:31:34 pm »
that reminds me of monty python not sure why ???

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2014, 07:02:09 pm »
personally I hate football and think it should be banned from all terrestrial tv thereby leaving loads of empty space that could be filled by showing cycling and cricket,

Is watching cricket more exciting than listening to it?  I tried listening to a cricket match once and nearly lost the will to live.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #8 on: 20 July, 2014, 07:21:30 pm »
I have hated football since the day a football penalty shoot out cancelled cartoon hour and then kids television - my two favourite shows which I had waited all week for*.  I still haven't forgiven DR aka Danish Broadcasting Corporation for that black day back in 1979.

*back then there was only one channel in Denmark, if you were luck enough to live close to either Norway, Sweden or Germany you could add a few more channels, but that is not the point because these were my favourite shows and they where not on foreign channels. /rant over
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #9 on: 20 July, 2014, 09:32:10 pm »
the thing with cricket is that you can go along to watch a game with a mate have a good chat, read the news paper have a nap find the bar and not really miss any of the game,  listening to it on the radio is rather therapeutic I find. You have it on in the background so you can get on with other stuff, I went out for a ride today and listened to it for 3 hours only interrupted by the shipping forecast, :)