Author Topic: Cyclist down Holborn.  (Read 3476 times)

Pete

Re: Cyclist down Holborn.
« Reply #25 on: 26 September, 2008, 06:49:30 pm »
Just another illustration of a type of close overtake and (nearly)-left-hook situation: just this afternoon (on a rural 'A' road) was overtaken far too close by a white van which then cut in very close to the verge, forcing me to brake.  But the difference here: he was not turning left (indeed there was no left turning) nor avoiding an oncoming vehicle, none of the usual reasons: no: what he was doing was giving himself space to turn right into a narrow private entrance.  The turning was awkward and he needed to move well over to the left to negotiate it.

As with all the other cases, he could have waited: he'd have lost all of a second I reckon.  Not an incident worth more than the usual invective, but still makes one think...

Pete

« Reply #26 on: 26 September, 2008, 06:54:34 pm »
As far as the tragedy in Holborn is concerned (it was near the pancake place wasn't it?) - I have feelings of anguish and sorrow, mixed with anger.  Anger because all deaths like this one could be prevented.  Cyclists can learn a bit of common sense - true.  Drivers of large vehicles can learn of the dangers they pose - true.  A rule could be imposed prohibiting overtaking of a cyclist and then turning left within 50 metres.  There could be a prohibition - with policing - of cyclists 'undertaking' a large vehicle near a junction.   All street railings could be removed.  All large vehicles could be forced to have that vital extra mirror.  Things could be done.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #27 on: 26 September, 2008, 07:07:55 pm »
When I made my statement on Monday about my altercation with the coach driver on 10th Sept, when I told the sergeant that I filtered past the queue of traffic on the outside, he actually asked me why I didn't pass on the inside. I think it was a perfectly innocent question, but he was quite surprised with the conviction with which I pointed out how dangerous it was to undertake large vehicles. I mentioned that I had read somewhere that the biggest cause of death amongst cyclists in London was the "left hook" by articulated lorries.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.