Author Topic: Needing new rims for touringbikes.  (Read 1292 times)

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
Needing new rims for touringbikes.
« on: 24 June, 2014, 04:58:41 pm »

I've just declared the rear rim on my Thorn dead. It is impossible to get straight again, I've tried and tried but it have no strength anymore, so I'll need a replacement.
The current on is a Mavic xm719 and I am looking for something just as tough or better in 26" for rim brakes.

I will need to replace the rims on my Salsa Fargo  soon too.
so what  bulletproof  29" disc rim for tires between 1,2" - 2,4" should I be looking after.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Needing new rims for touringbikes.
« Reply #1 on: 24 June, 2014, 05:07:02 pm »
If you like the Mavics, stay with them.  The 29er version is the TN719, which I have on the Inbred.  Not the lightest, but handles plenty of abuse and has no problems with (as I have tried) 35mm-54mm tyres.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2014, 05:12:35 pm »
If you like the Mavics, stay with them.  The 29er version is the TN719, which I have on the Inbred.  Not the lightest, but handles plenty of abuse and has no problems with (as I have tried) 35mm-54mm tyres.

I'm using TN719 on the rear wheel, and it have done around 5-6000 km with a few minor problems ( a dent and having trouble staying true. But still on my list as a possible replacement.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2014, 09:47:01 pm »
I've just declared the rear rim on my Thorn dead. It is impossible to get straight again, I've tried and tried but it have no strength anymore, so I'll need a replacement.
The current on is a Mavic xm719 and I am looking for something just as tough or better in 26" for rim brakes.

Exal ML21?

Was recommended it on here when I asked for "something like a A719 in 26"", and it's been going strong for several thousand miles on the back of the SMGT.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2014, 08:37:23 pm »
so what  bulletproof  29" disc rim for tires between 1,2" - 2,4" should I be looking after.
Halo Vapour - http://www.halowheels.com/products/part/RMHAV92B - the 'tribal' graphics are a bit naff, but they've given every indication of being damn near bombproof.

I've got them on the Croix de Fer and the fixed-gear bikepacking rig  - they'll also be going the El Mariachi when it turns up.
The Croix is currently running 35mm tyres and I've got 2.2s on the fixed; no problem with either. Tubeless ready too, if that's what floats your boat.