Author Topic: Fish advice, please  (Read 2465 times)

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
Fish advice, please
« on: 07 December, 2014, 04:23:04 pm »
Mrs P handed me a plaice today. With a few reminders from YouTube, I did all the prep. And then baked it with butter, lemon, and parsley.

A lot of faff and it wasn't really that exciting.

Any suggestions for really tasty fishy meals?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Re: Fish advice, please
« Reply #1 on: 07 December, 2014, 04:45:06 pm »
Fisherman's pie.  See recipes on line.  It's as good as the mixture of fishes you choose to put in it.  Choose some white, some brown and some shell fish.  Don't use salmon - that's rubbish.
The thing to pay most attention to is the sauce.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #2 on: 07 December, 2014, 04:49:04 pm »
Dipped in batter with chips and mushy peas.

« Reply #3 on: 07 December, 2014, 04:53:21 pm »
Plaice?

Needs to be totally fresh, otherwise don't bother. Crisscross slash deep to the bone then fierce grill until just cooked.

Most noobs overcook fish. Steaming is a pretty forgiving method.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4 on: 07 December, 2014, 05:07:16 pm »
We used to make a variety of pie called a Dartois, which involved white fish, puff pastry, cream, onions, garlic and mushrooms. Recipe here (Google translation, no guarantees).  Pretty easy & fast. Never done it with plaice, though. Cod, usually.

Also used to do stuffed sea-bream, back when they were plentiful. You can still get them but rather than one feeding three it's three feeding one.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #5 on: 07 December, 2014, 05:40:07 pm »

A lot of faff and it wasn't really that exciting.

This. I can't get excited about fish. It's at its epitome when battered and fried or I'll accept fresh out of the sea and onto a barbecue. Mostly seems to be bland white stuff saved by the sauce. Then there's all the faff with bones and skin and the worry that it's been scooped up in some horrendously unsustainable fashion. I had some halibut the other night which everyone raved about (for £30 we should have) but I thought 'meh' so it might just have been me.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #6 on: 07 December, 2014, 05:49:37 pm »
Plaice is pretty bland and mild. It's also not very bulky and rapidly cooks to a pulp.
You can work on the flavour with herbs, onion & seasoning.
A batter or breadcrumb coating will give it some substance.
But I don't think I can really do anything to make it exciting.

simonp

« Reply #7 on: 07 December, 2014, 07:35:13 pm »
This.  http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2303636/family-meals-easy-fish-pie

Or this. http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/seafood-recipes/paella/

I’ve also made salmon stir fried rice (using thai spices).

Monkfish is good and meaty, something like this might be good: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/monkfishcurrywithlem_93325

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #8 on: 07 December, 2014, 08:01:33 pm »
One of the general misconceptions about plaice, along with dover sole and other flatfish is that 'fresh' is best.  Usually that jus the case - especially with crustaceans, or shellfish but the flatfish are a bit different.
In fact these fish are pretty tasteless fresh - totally bland - and need a few days to develop a more defined flavour and texture.  There needs to be some enzyme action to work on the flesh, or generally one gets a poor eating experience - usually concealed under batter or loads of lemon etc. Unlike other fish you want to make sure they are a bit floppy and grey eyed - but not stinky.
In your case I suspect you overcooked the fish - very easily done. renders it into a sort of bland powdery mush with no discernible flavour.
The secret is to use a blowtorch to crisp the skin after a minute each side under a hot grill. 
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

Pancho

« Reply #9 on: 07 December, 2014, 08:39:09 pm »
Thanks for the tips. Think I'll go with other fish in the future. It's been a long time since I had plaice - and I now know why.

Don't think it was over-cooked; still fleshy not the pulp you sometimes end up with.

If I do try it again, I'll go for grilled - I've had some really good grilled fish in the past (although, not plaice).

« Reply #10 on: 07 December, 2014, 09:01:55 pm »
Most noobs overcook fish.

In your case I suspect you overcooked the fish...

It's incredibly difficult, especially with something like plaice - it has to be cooked no more than about 15 seconds beyond when it stops being translucent in the middle, and without being able to see until you cut it open. On top of that you have to get the temperature exactly right so it does that the whole way through at the same time without overcooking the outside or leaving the middle raw.

Round fish like trout, mackerel  or even salmon are a bit more forgiving, white fish has to be spot on. Tuna is easiest because it doesn't matter if it's raw in the middle!
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #11 on: 08 December, 2014, 10:59:46 am »
Kippers

Smoked mackerel

Salmon has a pretty strong flavour - not to everyone's taste.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #12 on: 08 December, 2014, 02:52:52 pm »
Who made the rule that tuna has to be raw inside? I don't mind tuna but I want it actually cooked. Waiters always pull that face when I demand that they cook it. I don't want it seared, I want it cooked throughout. I know that fish can be spoiled by overcooking, but I find they go the other way and present it practically raw. And no, I don't like sashimi/sushi and yes, I cook smoked salmon.

To be honest, I'd rather have fish fingers.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #13 on: 08 December, 2014, 08:19:41 pm »
My gran put me off fish when I was very little. She used to do white fish or yellow smoked fish, filled with tiny tiny bones, in the oven with milk, and we'd get it on our plates, with what felt like a pint of fishy milk. It was vile. For many years the only fish I would eat was fishfingers (ideally in a sandwich, with HP Sauce) or tinned tuna mixed with a lot of Salad Cream. And after those many years, I became vegetarian.

I tried the cat with white fish a while ago. He wouldn't eat it, but he does like prawns and tuna.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Pancho

« Reply #14 on: 08 December, 2014, 08:32:38 pm »
You spoil your cat!

Mine gets dry cat nuggets, scraps, and mice.

ian

« Reply #15 on: 09 December, 2014, 10:07:31 am »
My cats aren't interested in fish either unless it comes in a can. They can hear the sound of can opening from about 10 nautical miles distant. The tuna frenzy is something to behold. They descend like little furry Scuds on the kitchen. I'd also rather have tuna from a can than the half-raw stuff that restaurants insist on.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #16 on: 09 December, 2014, 01:02:54 pm »
Pete must have been fed on tinned food before he was a stray because he has the same reaction to the sound of the tin opener, although mostly I'm just opening beans.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #17 on: 09 December, 2014, 05:35:19 pm »
You want a fish with flavour, that's easy to cook - mackerel. Grilled - yummy.
Sardines ain't bad, either.

Plaice - agreed, difficult. I don't bother trying.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

ian

« Reply #18 on: 09 December, 2014, 05:48:32 pm »
Cats are weird. They have some atavistic reaction to hearing the tin opener. Presumably, back in the Jurassic, sabre tooth tigers evolved that way to open cans of tuna. Whatever else were those teeth for, other than (frankly overdone) vampire fancy dress? Quite probably humans evolved to put tuna in tins for them.

Oddly, I like sardines, and this from a man who faked pilchard poisoning so well at school that he was hospitalised. As for white fish, fry it in batter or don't bother.

« Reply #19 on: 14 December, 2014, 06:40:34 pm »
For white fish, I'll cook cod, monkfish or turbot (if very flush) Possibly hake, and if a flatfish Dover sole or brill.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #20 on: 14 December, 2014, 06:43:28 pm »
Brill (or turbot)  cooked in tranches on the bone is lush.   Not had it since having had kids  :(

I suppose I could eat the kids.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #21 on: 14 December, 2014, 07:30:02 pm »
'I like babies but I couldn't eat a whole one.'

« Reply #22 on: 14 December, 2014, 07:33:27 pm »
Has no-one mentioned kippers yet?

Grilled for a few minutes on each side, and then served with brown bread and butter. Lovely supper dish! And the cats beg pathetically for scraps.
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #23 on: 14 December, 2014, 07:46:17 pm »
Andy Race in Mallaig for kippers and smoked salmon. Used to get a box sent down every Christmas.   (before I had kids)