Author Topic: Straight on at Rosie's  (Read 2624 times)

Straight on at Rosie's
« on: 29 December, 2014, 10:21:20 pm »
I'm thinking about Straight on at Rosie's from Alfreton on the 7th February.  Has anyone ridden it before?  What's it like?

I found a route map for it, initial (uninformed) impressions are that it's very flat, good chance of a headwind on return leg, scenery likely to be unexciting but a nice ride to get some miles in the legs.
Up the hills and round the bends

Re: Straight on at Rosie's
« Reply #1 on: 30 December, 2014, 12:21:26 am »
I rode this one fixed last September and quite enjoyed it. It's an easy route with only a few short hills near the start and finish. Last time there was a tailwind on the outward leg, which then made things quite tough when returning from Adlingfleet to Epworth. Nothing too exciting scenery wise but a fairly quiet route, with only one short busy section on the approach to Blyth.

I'm planning on entering it again nearer the time, once I have a better idea of what the weather will be like.

« Reply #2 on: 30 December, 2014, 09:23:52 am »
I have ridden this one in the past and enjoyed it.   The last leg is 80 k long, but there is a shop/cafe at about 1/2 way back that seemed to do good business from the cyclists.  I have entered so you will not be the last one back.

Geoff
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot

« Reply #3 on: 04 January, 2015, 09:21:12 am »
 :thumbsup: shameless plug :thumbsup:

this is the first of Alfreton CTC,s BRM rides this year .We have a full SR series ;D

As with all our rides we usually expect weather :facepalm:

Look forward to seeing you all

cheers

dave
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2015, 10:00:53 am »
:thumbsup: shameless plug :thumbsup:

this is the first of Alfreton CTC,s BRM rides this year .We have a full SR series ;D

As with all our rides we usually expect weather :facepalm:

Look forward to seeing you all

cheers

dave

Tom Fox says we have 55 entries for this ride........now all we need is some weather  :thumbsup:
We're supposed to be feeding them not fatting them........quote from chef on LEL

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2015, 12:32:43 pm »
I'm in!  Are Alfreton CTC gonna do a medal or something for anyone who completes a full series?

Nudge nudge wink wink  ;)

Edit: This was my 1st 200k many many moons ago with Marmitegeoff  :)
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2015, 03:02:19 pm »
Entered, but may be a DNS (again)

Down on the South coast all this week trying to get a few miles in, but already gone down with a cold.

Will be watching the weather forecast nearer the time (and my cold)

« Reply #7 on: 28 January, 2015, 09:24:12 pm »
Wow, that's one's crept up fast!  Big field for one so early in the season, guess that will be the PBP effect.

I might even ride to the start, a fairly flat 12 miles... although the 200k might be testing enough just by itself!

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #8 on: 31 January, 2015, 06:12:48 pm »
as above this has popped up on my calendar earlier than expected, along with the usual mass of excuses however, hoping to improve on my 2014 audax completions (big fat 0) I really want to do this this time, is there a GPX anywhere? If anyone knows of one please share, thanks.

« Reply #9 on: 31 January, 2015, 06:16:45 pm »
I found this gpx online: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5920572

I can't comment on its accuracy but as far as I've got with plotting my route (gpx route, route point on each junction, crow flies in between) it matches up with the route sheet.

billyam998

• LEL rider C6 2013 / B11 2017 / B4 2022
« Reply #10 on: 31 January, 2015, 06:19:41 pm »
wow that was quick!! Thank you  8) I also have found this :-  http://connect.garmin.com/course/8066396 it misses out the trip to the rspb at the outermost point.

« Reply #11 on: 03 February, 2015, 01:07:09 pm »
I created this route from the routesheet https://www.strava.com/routes/1303675

Usual disclaimers apply, but it's the route i'll be following! ;-)
Eddington: 114 Miles

« Reply #12 on: 03 February, 2015, 02:18:06 pm »
Looks like the weather is improving enough for me to be there for this event now.

Tailwind on the way back too!

« Reply #13 on: 03 February, 2015, 02:20:00 pm »
Looks like the weather is improving enough for me to be there for this event now.

Tailwind on the way back too!

Indeed, I don't think it will ever be described as warm but at least the winds are light and on the tail for last half!

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #14 on: 04 February, 2015, 12:50:54 pm »
I take it that the route is unchanged so I'll just use someone's ridewithgps gpx from last year.
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15

« Reply #15 on: 04 February, 2015, 12:56:52 pm »
I take it that the route is unchanged so I'll just use someone's ridewithgps gpx from last year.

There's a tiny bit at the end just outside of Alfreton that has changed where the ridewithgps route goes down a cycle path/bridleway but on the routesheet it sticks to the road.  Presumably because it's previously been held at a different time of year when the bridleway was in better condition.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #16 on: 04 February, 2015, 04:31:34 pm »
I know that part anyway so no worries  :thumbsup:
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15

« Reply #17 on: 08 February, 2015, 11:47:08 am »
Very much enjoyed the ride yesterday.  Had a bit of a dark time from 150-170k but came out the other side with a bit of renewed energy to see me through to the finish.

Had some great company to ride with for most of the way and had a clear view of the most spectacular sunset as the day ended.  Felt great putting some miles in the legs.

Was suffering with sore bum issues a lot, which hasn't been a particular issue before.  Might need to re-visit saddle choice - it's such a mine-field though!

Everyone else get around ok?

« Reply #18 on: 08 February, 2015, 12:06:48 pm »
Good to meet you again jhob and agree that it was indeed a very nice ride.

Did think that we would get more of a tailwind on the way back than we actually did, but good to do a 200k again (my first of 2015).

Following a deviation past Hardwick Hall, I suddenly found myself on my own on a bruteish climb to Tibshelf and with a dodgy back light that suddenly developed a habit of switching itself off after a couple of minutes!  Being completely dark and unfamiliar territory for me, I lost quite a bit of time over the last bit by having to stop regularly to see to my light! but still made it back shortly after 6.30.

I was informed that there were very few non starters, so perhaps aspiring to PBP.

« Reply #19 on: 08 February, 2015, 02:26:19 pm »
Good to meet you again jhob and agree that it was indeed a very nice ride.

Did think that we would get more of a tailwind on the way back than we actually did, but good to do a 200k again (my first of 2015).

Following a deviation past Hardwick Hall, I suddenly found myself on my own on a bruteish climb to Tibshelf and with a dodgy back light that suddenly developed a habit of switching itself off after a couple of minutes!  Being completely dark and unfamiliar territory for me, I lost quite a bit of time over the last bit by having to stop regularly to see to my light! but still made it back shortly after 6.30.

I was informed that there were very few non starters, so perhaps aspiring to PBP.

Good to meet you again too, sorry we didn't have more time to chat, maybe next time!

I was hoping for more of a tailwind too, the return legs felt an awful lot tougher than the out leg. At my tough 150-170k point it felt like I was going into a headwind.

Yes, that was a little brute of a climb - short, but very sharp!

Certainly many I spoke to had PBP aspirations, I think Tom had 70 registrations for the rides, not sure how many actually started.

« Reply #20 on: 09 February, 2015, 09:35:48 pm »
It's been a long time since I've had such a sociable ride as this one. Perhaps the dull scenery and unremarkable weather forces you to make your own fun.

I enjoyed a good chat with Jhon, who it seems suffered at about the same point I did. However I got to visit my mother in law for tea and sandwiches at 175km which really perked me up. I had a long, sweary, gossipy, indiscreet chat with Andy C and caught up with Mark on the final leg.

Good to see everyone - see you all again soon!