Author Topic: recomend a camera for me... please!  (Read 1534 times)

Otto

• Biking Bad
recomend a camera for me... please!
« on: 29 March, 2015, 06:34:30 pm »
I love my NikonD3 but it's bloody heavy to lug around and doesn't fit in a pocket, or a bar bag.

I'm looking for something small and neat that takes great pictures.

Ta very much.

Re: recomend a camera for me... please!
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2015, 08:43:59 pm »
Had the same dilemma.  Fuji x pro 1 did it for me, and the 23mm f1.4 is the stuff of legend.  There is a greater variety of X series bodies available now compared to when I bought mine.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2015, 11:13:22 pm »
Olympus OM-D EM-5 MkII.  Amazing little camera.
Getting there...

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #3 on: 29 March, 2015, 11:50:38 pm »
I'd look at Micro 4/3. Depends on just how small you want.
The Lumix GM1 is very small, and has a neat kit zoom lens. Though it doesn't have a viewfinder, or many buttons for manual options etc.
Or Lumix GX7 for something a bit bigger with more features.

« Reply #4 on: 30 March, 2015, 08:53:09 am »
There are a series of questions that can lead you to the final choice.

The first one and most significant - do you want interchangeable lenses, or just one camera to carry and "do it all"? The significant difference is the long end of the zoom. AFAIK, no self respecting interchangeable lens camera does much more range than c28 - 135 35 mm equivalent.

If you do, m4/3 provides a host of options than combine size with decent image quality.

If you want a "travel camera" to do it all then budget is a determining factor.

For my money at the moment, the Olympus SH-1 does a decent job, 1/2.3 cmos sensor, 25-600 lens, 5-Axis IS, £160. Just bought one recently for Mrs Ham and it performs very well for the money.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 30 March, 2015, 09:11:06 am »
My HB bag carry is a Panny FT3.  It's tough (needs a screen protector, though) and adequate for cycling pics. Can be used one-handed  on the bike with reasonable comfort and has a half-decent chance of surviving if dropped.

My casual pocket carry is a Sony RX100. 1" sensor, 20 Mp, good IQ but unbearably fiddly interface after SLRs.  Sluggish, too: you could get married and raise a family between hitting the OFF button and the lens retracting.

Street photog camera is Fuji X100. Nice!

I also have a couple of Nikon Series 1s, which have 12 Mp 1" sensors and surprisingly good lenses.  For good-weather riding one of them'll go in my HB bag if I toss everything else.  Idiosyncratic, though.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6 on: 30 March, 2015, 12:14:42 pm »
Another vote for micro 4/3 from here, I've got a panasonic GF1 from about 5 years ago, there's a new GM5 which is TINY and with a very good kit zoom lens or you can fit the 20mm 1.7 which is amazing.

Or the sony rx100 is supposed to be fantastic if you cant be bothered with interchangeable lenses.  Or the ricoh gr if you want a fixed lens and simple operation. 

So much choice... :)

« Reply #7 on: 30 March, 2015, 01:20:26 pm »
Olympus OM-D EM-5 MkII.  Amazing little camera.

Hmm, and the EM-1 looks even better. And I was thinking of changing the Nikon D70 I've been using. Tempted. The EM-5 is no doubt better than I am, but I do like the shiny  8)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8 on: 30 March, 2015, 01:25:49 pm »
Just to muddy the water: if you're using a D3 then with an adapter you can use all (or most of) your motorised Nikon lenses with a Series 1.  Fun.

Mine turns up its nose at Tamron's 70-300, though - very disappointing, that.  As might be expected, both Nikon & Tamron say "not my bijin".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9 on: 30 March, 2015, 03:01:21 pm »
I'd look at Nikon 1 too. They do appear to be very capable little cameras. And the 'super telephoto with your existing kit' is a big plus.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #10 on: 30 March, 2015, 07:07:01 pm »
Thanks for the advice chaps