Author Topic: RLJing  (Read 10719 times)

blackpuddinonnabike

Re: RLJing
« Reply #100 on: 01 October, 2008, 05:03:34 pm »
There is at the other side of the road. It's very strange.

Whereabout is that K?

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #101 on: 01 October, 2008, 06:37:42 pm »
Bottom of Middle Meadow Walk crossing over Melville Drive to the other bit. When you're on the other bit on the Marchmont side, there's no button.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #102 on: 01 October, 2008, 10:44:50 pm »
Phew. I jumped a red at a toucan crossing last night and I was afraid to confess and ask for absolution. ....

Yes, I usualy ignore toucan crossing lights. It never even occurred to me that I could be breaking the law. I always assumed that they were the same as pelican crossings for the person pushing the button. One that I always ignore is at the new Wembley Milton Keynes football stadium/Asda, where you have to go through 3 sets of toucan crossings to cross one road, not to mention the slalom course that goes with it because of the railings. Then, further up the cycleway are another 2 toucans to cross a dead end road which is about 20 meters long.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #103 on: 02 October, 2008, 01:43:05 pm »
Bottom of Middle Meadow Walk crossing over Melville Drive to the other bit. When you're on the other bit on the Marchmont side, there's no button.

There is (remarkably!) a sensor in the bike lane that (even more remarkably!!) trips the light sequence, even in the absence of cars turning out of Argyle Place.  So there's no need for a button.  Just roll up and wait.

(Caveat:  my bike is steel ...)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #104 on: 02 October, 2008, 04:44:11 pm »
My bike is heavy, as am I, but we don't seem to be enough to trip it. Maybe I should try bunnyhopping. The yells after I fall off and break all my bones might trip it.

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #105 on: 02 October, 2008, 05:36:20 pm »
Bunnyhopping won't help!  Your bike's got an aluminium frame, I think.  Traffic light sensors (and I assume this one's no different) detect iron or steel with a sort of magnetic loop thing buried in the ground.  You can usually see where the tarmac's been cut and patched to put it in.  Aluminium's not magnetic.  You could try leaning the bottom bracket/pedals* closer to the bit in the ground just before the stop line that looks as if it's been cut.  This looks weird, but does sometimes work.

The other thing that gets traffic light sensors to work is to inform the roads department of the council that the sensor in question isn't sensitive enough.  This is something that can be adjusted quite easily, apparently.  I've done this in the past and traffic lights that didn't work for me before started working following an e-mail to the cuddly lion ...

* - basically anything likely to be a lump of steel.  (Hmmm - thinking about it I do have a bunch of magnets a bit more than a foot off the ground at the front end of the bike.  Another advantage of a dynohub??)

Eccentrica Gallumbits

« Reply #106 on: 02 October, 2008, 09:43:19 pm »
I used to work next to the cuddly lion so if I had things to report I'd just wander over and talk to them about it and things got done really quickly! I miss that...