Author Topic: Campag cone adjustment problem  (Read 1336 times)

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
Campag cone adjustment problem
« on: 29 September, 2008, 01:28:42 pm »
On Saturday (to add a little useless detail) I took the front wheel out of my trike for some CLA.

It's a large flange Campag (possibly Neuvo Record, I didn't think to look too closely at the time). When I stripped it, I noticed that the cones are very deep in the hub (on both sides), such that I could only get a spanner on the flats when I had removed the lock nut and two washers.

I've put it back together, but I'm not sure how I can adjust it as I can't get a cone spanner onto the flats.

Should I take it to bits again and pull the circular dust cover(?) from over the bearings? Will it fit over the locknut if I do? Is this a stupid question? (I haven't used my quota for the month yet)
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Re: Campag cone adjustment problem
« Reply #1 on: 29 September, 2008, 02:21:48 pm »
The first question I would ask is are you using proper Campag cone spanners?  They are noticeably thinner than most

Zipperhead

« Reply #2 on: 29 September, 2008, 02:54:13 pm »
No, I'm using some Park ones - I suppose that could be the problem.

« Reply #3 on: 29 September, 2008, 03:03:59 pm »
Check that the hub has the correct size balls.Record front should be 7/32" and if they have been replaced with the more common 3/16" you get this problem with the cone being almost flush with the hub dust cover.You can usually remove the cone in this circumstance by jamming a small screwdriver blade between the cone flat and the dust cover and rotating the axle.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4 on: 29 September, 2008, 03:08:28 pm »
On Saturday (to add a little useless detail) I took the front wheel out of my trike for some CLA.

It's a large flange Campag (possibly Neuvo Record, I didn't think to look too closely at the time). When I stripped it, I noticed that the cones are very deep in the hub (on both sides), such that I could only get a spanner on the flats when I had removed the lock nut and two washers.

I've put it back together, but I'm not sure how I can adjust it as I can't get a cone spanner onto the flats.

Should I take it to bits again and pull the circular dust cover(?) from over the bearings? Will it fit over the locknut if I do? Is this a stupid question? (I haven't used my quota for the month yet)

You've borked my trike...?   >:( >:(
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Zipperhead

« Reply #5 on: 29 September, 2008, 03:12:52 pm »
Check that the hub has the correct size balls.Record front should be 7/32" and if they have been replaced with the more common 3/16" you get this problem with the cone being almost flush with the hub dust cover.You can usually remove the cone in this circumstance by jamming a small screwdriver blade between the cone flat and the dust cover and rotating the axle.

Aah, I wonder if this could be it - there were 11 balls in each side which I thought was a bit too many. I could try and pick up some 7/32" on the way home this week and see if that makes a difference (if I'm going to fish one out to measure it, I might as well replace them)

Zipperhead

« Reply #6 on: 04 October, 2008, 12:54:55 pm »

Bingo - I've just taken a bag of 7/32" bearings round and put them in and the cones are in the correct place. The wheel now runs as smoothly as Paula Radcliffe after a dump.

Thanks again for that info, I never would have worked it out.

Graham