Author Topic: Has Audax lost its appeal, are they turning into comfort zone sportives?  (Read 20551 times)

rob

I am doing the Flatlands 600 exactly this way... smash it up there, sleep 6 hours, smash it downwards! Job a good 'un. So yes Audax is getting soft.... A new rule might be that no one can use hotels anymore!

Definitely doable.  I did the same last year.  It's an easier route than the Buzzard (though I compensated by riding fixed).

I did something similar, but stayed with family just off route.   I'm not sure if I smashed it ?   Would I know if I had ?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Ah you guys clearly never went to any all night raves when you were young. That's how you get experience in managing your sleep patterns so you can be ready to go to work all bright eyed and bushy tailed the next Monday.

No I didn't. But I suspect that most people here - like me - have stayed up all night for some other purpose. (Usually fun, but other stuff happens in life).

Here's my tips:

Do your ride* (all nighter no stoppage, no faffage). Then Sunday morning (preferably) once you've finished your audax have a quick power nap (on the train, bus or in car park if you drove up) just to get you home. Then a full sleep back home to catch up on what you lost. Wake up at 18:00 hrs (Sunday still). Eat, watch the Tour de France highlights, football or Eastenders omnibus if that's your thing until 23:30hrs (still Sunday). Drink lot's of water. Go to bed. Wake up, ride to work and show everyone who's boss by standing on your desk in the middle of the office and showing off the new dance moves you learnt over the weekend (or something similar)

*I'm assuming this ride started early on Saturday morning and is longer than say 60km
The majority of 600km riders finish between 4pm and 9pm on the Sunday. (Between roughly 22-30h riding time). Apart from that, I'm sure there's something useful in your tips  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
Ah you guys clearly never went to any all night raves when you were young. That's how you get experience in managing your sleep patterns so you can be ready to go to work all bright eyed and bushy tailed the next Monday.

Here's my tips:

Do your ride* (all nighter no stoppage, no faffage). Then Sunday morning (preferably) once you've finished your audax have a quick power nap (on the train, bus or in car park if you drove up) just to get you home. Then a full sleep back home to catch up on what you lost. Wake up at 18:00 hrs (Sunday still). Eat, watch the Tour de France highlights, football or Eastenders omnibus if that's your thing until 23:30hrs (still Sunday). Drink lot's of water. Go to bed. Wake up, ride to work and show everyone who's boss by standing on your desk in the middle of the office and showing off the new dance moves you learnt over the weekend (or something similar)

*I'm assuming this ride started early on Saturday morning and is longer than say 60km

I will have to check the WADA banned substance list before replicating how we 'managed sleep patterns' when we were younger.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

I am doing the Flatlands 600 exactly this way... smash it up there, sleep 6 hours, smash it downwards! Job a good 'un. So yes Audax is getting soft.... A new rule might be that no one can use hotels anymore!

Definitely doable.  I did the same last year.  It's an easier route than the Buzzard (though I compensated by riding fixed).

I did something similar, but stayed with family just off route.   I'm not sure if I smashed it ?   Would I know if I had ?

If you smashed it with 6am start, you'd get in bed at 10pm and up at 5am ;)

rob

Ah, no smashing then.   6am start - in bed at 11:30pm - back on the road 7am - finished 5pm.   Weather was pretty benign last year.

Ah, no smashing then.   6am start - in bed at 11:30pm - back on the road 7am - finished 5pm.   Weather was pretty benign last year.

I'd be happy with that!

BTW Staying up all night was easy.... when I wasn't a tired out fogey like I am now! I luv my sleep! haha!

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum

No I didn't. But I suspect that most people here - like me - have stayed up all night for some other purpose. (Usually fun, but other stuff happens in life).

oh yes, that reminds me: having small children is infinitely more tiring than audax (or even medium sized children when there's only one of you).  And remember, audax is easier than childbirth.  I speak as one of the not-very-many-people who has done both :-D
And so far as those raves are concerned, istr they only happen at weekends.  Children wailing in the night can happen any day of the week, and on more than one  night running.

All of which leaves me to conclude that compared to small children audax is already in the comfort zone.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Brakeless

• Brakeless

oh yes, that reminds me: having small children is infinitely more tiring than audax (or even medium sized children when there's only one of you).  And remember, audax is easier than childbirth.  I speak as one of the not-very-many-people who has done both :-D
And so far as those raves are concerned, istr they only happen at weekends.  Children wailing in the night can happen any day of the week, and on more than one  night running.

All of which leaves me to conclude that compared to small children audax is already in the comfort zone.

That can't be right. There's rather alot more people capable of looking after little children than there are peolple capable of riding a 600K.  :demon:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
thats why its so easy for you - not evryone had your advantages in life!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
Has Audax lost its appeal, are they turning into comfort zone sportives?

No and No.

H

Definitely 'yes'.  I rode the Exe-Buzzard at the weekend and had a luxurious six hours sleep at a hotel overnight.  I'm going soft.

I blame the organiser for allowing you the time for such pampering.

H

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
That can't be right. There's rather alot more people capable of looking after little children than there are peolple capable of riding a 600K.  :demon:

I actually don't know anyone who tried to ride a 600K and didn't eventually succeed. 
I suppose there must be some people who tried and never made it... I just don't know those people.

I know people who tried to have kids and couldn't though.

I suspect that giving birth and riding 600K Audaxes both require a highly selective memory of the procedure though.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

I suspect that giving birth and riding 600K Audaxes both require a highly selective memory of the procedure though.
Riding 600km takes longer but you heal faster. It doesn't need a 9 month build up, but people think you're odd if you do either more than twice.