Author Topic: Night temperatures  (Read 16029 times)

Re: Night temperatures
« Reply #100 on: 20 August, 2015, 11:14:12 pm »
Nighttime report

Just right
Bloody freezing
Cold but manageable
Too hot

The end

simonp

« Reply #101 on: 21 August, 2015, 12:17:38 am »
Fine.
Freezing.
A bit cold.
A fourth night?

« Reply #102 on: 21 August, 2015, 12:21:16 am »
Bugger of you fast git

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #103 on: 21 August, 2015, 12:24:06 am »
Sounds better than 2007:
  • Wet
  • Wet
  • Wet
  • Wet at first, then not wet but very humid instead
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Chuffy

• Found a newt on LEL
« Reply #104 on: 21 August, 2015, 12:25:19 am »
Powered by Minions

« Reply #105 on: 21 August, 2015, 01:13:31 am »
Sun night - lovely
Mon - freezing fog downhill out of Brest.
Tues - fine
Wed - erm ... I was in bed in N. France  ;D

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #106 on: 21 August, 2015, 06:46:40 am »
Nighttime report

Just right
Bloody freezing
Cold but manageable
Too hot

The end

Pretty much spot on. This slightly nesh AUK was just about okay on all the nights with every layer I had on. Surprisingly chilly and must have been horrendous for anyone used to 25+ degrees at night
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #107 on: 21 August, 2015, 01:25:52 pm »
Summer bibs
SS jersey
Arm & leg warmers & hi viz gilet at night
Goretex paclite under gilet in coldest part of Mon night but that was too much really.

Didn't bother with Goretex in the Thursday rain. Choice of soaked with sweat or slightly chilly and wet with rain I chose the latter.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #108 on: 21 August, 2015, 01:52:04 pm »
Summer bib shorts and summer longsleeve jersey day and night. Nighttime, I added a thin wool undershirt a couple of times and occasionally leg warmers and thin long finger gloves. Most of the time, I was a little too hot.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #109 on: 21 August, 2015, 02:22:22 pm »
Only time I was cold was descending into Sizun on Monday night. My cold was starting to kick in as well as the inevitable mist and not pedalling for forever but within about 20 minutes I'd have been fine without the leg warmers.

« Reply #110 on: 21 August, 2015, 02:57:10 pm »
My experience was something like 21-24 deg by day and as low as 7-9 deg by night (coldest in the low-lands in the valleys). Bibs, ultr-light sleeveless base layer, SS Jersey,  fillet, arm warmers and knee warmers with Lycra oversocks. Short mitts, so just put up with the chilly descents!

« Reply #111 on: 21 August, 2015, 03:00:18 pm »
Surprisingly chilly and must have been horrendous for anyone used to 25+ degrees at night
First person I spoke to when I got back to my hotel was a rider from Chennai, India - he had scratched due to cold night temperature.  BTW what was his first question (and the same question asked by the next three people I met) - what was your time?  It's so not Audax is it?  :)
37.9 miles from Marsh Gibbon

simonp

« Reply #112 on: 21 August, 2015, 04:26:03 pm »
Return from Brest was coldest as I had to keep my sleep stop to 1.5h. I regretted leaving the merino gloves behind. But it wasn't as cold as Lel 2013 - the problem was it was also foggy.

« Reply #113 on: 22 August, 2015, 12:02:01 pm »
Nighttime report

Just right
Bloody freezing
Cold but manageable
Too hot

The end

Sunday night - still in bed.
Monday night - bloody cold, especially the fog.
Tuesday night - about perfect for me, probably a little on the cold side.
Wednesday night - bloody awful, the rain disturbed my luxurious sleep in the campervan after I'd finished.

(Sorry ;D)

I did see a few Indian lads at Loudeac on the way out, and they seemed ok, but they were finding the hills a little tough, all being from Delhi.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #114 on: 22 August, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »
sunday night - lowest 8deg - still full of energy so wasn't cold initially, but stopped in wee hours at quedillac to put a windproof jacket on
monday night - lowest 11deg - but felt colder than the first night due to fatigue. wore windproof jacket, a buff and leg warmers throughout the night and felt ok.
tuesday night - slept inside at arrivee.

Bairdy

• Former Pints Champion
« Reply #115 on: 22 August, 2015, 12:32:15 pm »
I had to stop a while after my first 90 minutes sleep stop on my way to Carhaix as I got too cold on a long descent.
I found a bench, put bin liners on it, put all my clothes on. (2 jerseys, arm and leg warmers, gilet and waterproof.)
Climbed into my silk sleeping bag liner and rested for 20 minutes until I'd warmed up.
It wasn't that cold generally, it was just the long descents which occasionally dipped into fog patches that chilled me a bit too much for comfort.
"And I been up to my neck in pleasure
              Up to my neck in pain"

« Reply #116 on: 23 August, 2015, 09:29:42 pm »
first night excellent nightriding temperatures.
2nd night excellent except for the fog between Mael-Carhaix and Carhaix. Early sleepers might have other opinions though.
3rd night quite cold but glad that it was that cold so I could stay more or less awake
4rd night wet.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #117 on: 23 August, 2015, 09:33:34 pm »
I logged 8C between Ambriere and Villaines Tuesday night - which felt cold on the descents, but bib tights arm warmers and the PBP supplied gilet was probably about right as otherwise would have cooked on the climbs.
Eddington Numbers 131 (imperial), 185 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  116 (nautical miles)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #118 on: 16 December, 2015, 07:08:55 pm »
It's 11degC overnight in Hampshire for the next few days.

It's December 16th !!!

Loudeac was clocked at 6degC when I was shivering under a blanket on the return leg at 3am.

That was August !!!

WTF?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #119 on: 16 December, 2015, 08:39:04 pm »
It's 11degC overnight in Hampshire for the next few days.

It's December 16th !!!

Loudeac was clocked at 6degC when I was shivering under a blanket on the return leg at 3am.

That was August !!!

WTF?

Good weather for a pre-Christmas Crackpot!

I found the PBP night time temperatures perfect for cycling and didn't even feel the cold when sleeping outside on the grass in the early hours of Tuesday and Wednesday mornings. Fortunately I was back with my family at Huttopia, Rambouillet well before the rain started on the Wednesday night.

« Reply #120 on: 23 December, 2015, 05:38:43 pm »
Never really noticed if it got cold on a night and the only time I slept outdoors on a night was at the checkpoint where the outside concrete sports pitch was, I saw no one was laid on it, but I felt the concrete and it was retaining a lot of heat, far more than the grass so I laid out on it in the middle where it should have been quiet and peacefull and I was cooking inside the silk liner in no time. Only problem was, I laid out next to one of the metal barriers strung out across it with some tape in the gaps just so I had something to lean the bike on. Shortly after getting laid out realised what it was for and it was the walkway from the Checkpoint to the dormitories, (so I was told). Funny no one was walking along it till I was just about to nod off, then it was clunk, clunk clunk as riders walked past my head constantly with their shoes and cleats on, until I decided enough was enough and got back on the bike and carry on riding.