Author Topic: Day ride routes around lake Garda  (Read 130 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Day ride routes around lake Garda
« on: January 19, 2020, 11:23:23 am »
Family holiday on Lake Garda this year, I'm hoping I'll have an Airnimal by then so looking to do a few day rides.

Anyone been there and have any recommendations? Maybe a bit of light off-roading, definitely some hills, probably looking for about 80-100km to allow an early breakfast and rejoining the family around lunchtime, missing the worst of the heat.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: Day ride routes around lake Garda
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2020, 11:50:21 am »
It's a long time since I've been there,but one piece of advice would be to take some lights. When I did it, the road along the western side had a lot of unlit tunnels with bends at the entrances, so were pitch black. Maybe it's changed by now, but I'd take lights anyway.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 12:05:47 pm »
I am hoping to spend a few days in Torbole after finishing Italy Divide in May ... the number of days will depend on how slowly I finish the race.

I am looking to do some 'light' riding in those days, favouring off-road routes. Nearer the time I can share my planned routes if that is helpful ... I don't know the area, so somebody with local knowledge might be a better bet, for both of us!

ElyDave

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 12:25:37 pm »
Thanks, I have been there before, about twenty years ago, and do remember those tunnels. I'm planning on speccing the bike with dyno lights in any case, but lights were already in mind.

Any route suggestions welcome

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 01:35:44 pm »
No suggestions about Lake Garda routes, but isn't the main outlet for Airnimals the same bike shop in Longstanton that sells Circe tandems? Richard, the owner, is a very pleasant guy (you may already know this) and I suspect he would let you have a reasonable trial. I rode one a couple of years ago when he organised a free camping weekend on the 10th anniversary of his shop and invited anyone who had bought a bike from him. Thus, I went, as did the Clariflies. I thought it was a really good ride and I think one model comes apart and goes into a suitcase-sized container, making it good for travel. I'm not sure but I think the suitcase might also double up as a trailer.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

ElyDave

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 02:48:35 pm »
No suggestions about Lake Garda routes, but isn't the main outlet for Airnimals the same bike shop in Longstanton that sells Circe tandems? Richard, the owner, is a very pleasant guy (you may already know this) and I suspect he would let you have a reasonable trial. I rode one a couple of years ago when he organised a free camping weekend on the 10th anniversary of his shop and invited anyone who had bought a bike from him. Thus, I went, as did the Clariflies. I thought it was a really good ride and I think one model comes apart and goes into a suitcase-sized container, making it good for travel. I'm not sure but I think the suitcase might also double up as a trailer.

You are correct, they are based in Longstanton, just down the road from me. As I have next week off, I'm planning to take advantage of their test ride option. They will let you have a couple of hours to try, and even hire one to you and take the cost off a purchase.  They do a rohloff version which I'm very keen on with a few tweaks. Need to give them a call tomorrow to set it up.