Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3967668 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21750 on: 29 March, 2018, 02:46:16 pm »
Set out to go the lumpy way to my favourite patisserie but was defeated by the wind and defaulted to second favourite. Even then I got home knackered and fed up: 45 measly km.

I dunno. Other years I've been house-bound for weeks at a time by the weather and restarted well. This year it's not working. :(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #21751 on: 29 March, 2018, 05:23:51 pm »
Needed to nip to Ikea this morning so thought I'd go the longer, off-roadier way. So glad I did. 100 or so kilometres of glorious sunshine leading to the first sunburn of the year. Excellent.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1478127542

« Reply #21752 on: 29 March, 2018, 07:07:20 pm »
A wet ride to Dinton pastures and back with Jonathan notp. With the e assist set at 4 of 9   37 miles were covered at 9 mph ave . On the way back  at touchen end I met Jacobson otp who was making a delivery nearby  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #21753 on: 30 March, 2018, 02:43:24 am »
A wet ride to Dinton pastures and back with Jonathan notp. With the e assist set at 4 of 9   37 miles were covered at 9 mph ave . On the way back  at touchen end I met Jacobson otp who was making a delivery nearby  :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Nice to meet you!
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21754 on: 30 March, 2018, 08:58:16 am »
Needed to nip to Ikea this morning so thought I'd go the longer, off-roadier way. So glad I did. 100 or so kilometres of glorious sunshine leading to the first sunburn of the year. Excellent.

I got a kind of burny feeling across the forehead on a ride last week, but thought "nah, can't be".

« Reply #21755 on: 30 March, 2018, 04:28:02 pm »
Yes - about 30m walk to the shed to do 20 hilly miles on Zwift.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21756 on: 31 March, 2018, 03:17:25 pm »
Very satisfying 85 km with quetsch tart & coffee at the turnaround.

« Reply #21757 on: 01 April, 2018, 07:42:47 am »
The off road way to Marple Bridge via Irlam Linear Park, NCN62, Fred Perry Way, Alan Newton Way and the Goyt Canal. Over the top to Shiloh and the Sett Valley Trail to Hayfield before up Chinley Head to Chapel-en-le-Frith. At this point I decided I'd had enough headwind and was running late due to morning faffage so abandoned a visit to the No Car Cafe, plenty of bridle ways on the way back. 126km with plenty of up.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21758 on: 01 April, 2018, 08:27:50 am »
Crikey. What kind of tyres do you have on that thing? Or is that mud-covered tarmac?

« Reply #21759 on: 01 April, 2018, 11:13:27 am »
30mm Schwalbe G one Speed,  it's mud covered mud, compared to NCN62 that bits dry.

« Reply #21760 on: 01 April, 2018, 12:25:08 pm »
Si, I'd love to see the route for that!

« Reply #21761 on: 01 April, 2018, 02:30:09 pm »
A brisk 44km out over the hill to Glynde, and a lanesy loop round Arlington Reservoir.
The briskness may well have something to with misjudging the cold while Easter egg hunting and wearing shorts. It certainly isn’t a result of practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #21762 on: 01 April, 2018, 06:55:20 pm »
Si, I'd love to see the route for that!

Not sure this link will work https://www.strava.com/activities/1482189381

I'll try and write it up as there's lots that's useful, if you want the gpx I can send you it.

« Reply #21763 on: 01 April, 2018, 09:31:44 pm »
We rode the tandem to the Rock Houses, thereby avoiding the motorised chaos in the area. We did the Easter egg hunt then rode down the hill into Kinver for lunch and a visit to the playground and miniature railway before riding back up to the rock houses for a slushie then on home. It was fun  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21764 on: 03 April, 2018, 02:41:38 pm »
Just got back from a lumpy 50k with a coffee halt and wonderful, wonderful sunshine. 21°C!  Some folk were still riding in winter kit, and I saw a few hikers sweltering along in quilted jackets.

« Reply #21765 on: 04 April, 2018, 07:14:04 pm »
Approx 20 miles today from home to dachet and down the main road across runnymede to egham  then back using ncn4 passed the war memorial on coopers hill and through Windsor deer park then through Windsor . I got rained on all the way back from egham and it stopped as I got home  ::-) :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #21766 on: 05 April, 2018, 09:27:44 am »
I don’t get out much but today is a good day. Currently at dentist for check up (6 mile round trip), then I need to check on the sheep (4 miles), then off to a Parish Council meeting tonight (4 miles).
And.... it’s not raining :-)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21767 on: 05 April, 2018, 09:30:26 am »
We rode the tandem to the Rock Houses, thereby avoiding the motorised chaos in the area. We did the Easter egg hunt then rode down the hill into Kinver for lunch and a visit to the playground and miniature railway before riding back up to the rock houses for a slushie then on home. It was fun  :thumbsup:
Rock houses?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21768 on: 05 April, 2018, 12:54:36 pm »
Rock houses?

A sort of hobbit-hole thing that they have in that Kinver.  If it were in Bristol someone would have built a furnicular railway in it.

« Reply #21769 on: 05 April, 2018, 03:56:30 pm »
First bike ride after months of bad weather and colds. Only 8 miles loop from Uxbridge via the GU canal and Denham. Brilliant sunshine, some muddy patches requiring dismounts, but welcome exercise and mood improvement  :)

First bike I extracted from the garage proved faulty, so took another. Now I have to fix the former.

« Reply #21770 on: 06 April, 2018, 07:03:26 pm »
Pootle up on to the Ridgeway with wider tyres, just inside Oxfordshire and a tiny bit of West Berkshire.   Nice to see the sun for a change.

And just in case anyone is interested...  the spoiler images are of one end to an A34 'bypass' track, just before, & SW of Chilton village, mentioned here, which I cycled passed. 

(click to show/hide)

IMG_20180406_124808668_HDR by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20180406_125241875 by ao, on Flickr

IMG_20180406_130110666 by ao, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #21771 on: 06 April, 2018, 07:56:28 pm »
My Thursday night group regularly takes that path in your second picture and they’re pretty good at sticking to rights of way

« Reply #21772 on: 06 April, 2018, 08:11:54 pm »
After my first ride for months yesterday, another sunny day got me out again, this time along the Phoenix Way from Princes Risborough to Thame, and back. The wind alone almost blew me westward, then I had to fight it going back.

Quite busy for a weekday, I guess the Easter school holiday effect. Less muddy patches than yesterday though.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21773 on: 06 April, 2018, 08:25:25 pm »
Nice old 90's MTB ^^^^

For me, sticking to the learning curve on the cruzbike I've been out quite a bit

Saturday was a long turbo session as it was a washout, but it did let me workout why my ar$e was hurting and adjust the seat accordingly. 

Sunday - 48km past the Welney WWT place to ten-mile bank and back down the river.

Tuesday and Thursday the same 25km loop and some low speed handling drills in the car park.  The 25km loop is my sort of test route.  Tuesday was hellish windy and I did that bit in 54min/27,7kmh, Thursday much easier but still breezy, came in at 52min/28.6kmh.  In flat calm conditions, and more pilot experience this thing willl be fast.  I've not done it that quickly on my M5.

Today, bloody windy from the SE, so I headed out on a 53km loop out into the wind, a bit of a lollipop end and back again more or less with a tail wind all the way home.  Some very nasty crosswinds out, had some quite challenging moments, but a whale of a time back from Isleham to Ely across the fen.   Overall 53km in 1h57 at an average 27.1km/h.  Main point to today was to get a feel for audax type conditions and speeds.  I think it bodes well for the Woodman next week.

“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #21774 on: 06 April, 2018, 08:49:33 pm »
After my first ride for months yesterday, another sunny day got me out again, this time along the Phoenix Way from Princes Risborough to Thame, and back. The wind alone almost blew me westward, then I had to fight it going back.

Quite busy for a weekday, I guess the Easter school holiday effect. Less muddy patches than yesterday though.

Yes it was a bit brisk wasn’t it! I felt it full force between Stewkely and Wing as a I took the “easy” route back to Cublingtin.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)