Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2333603 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22825 on: February 01, 2020, 08:12:08 pm »
49 miles to Sonning and back with a friend. It was a bit windy on the way out but nice on the way back  :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #22826 on: February 03, 2020, 11:43:49 am »
Yesterday, late start due to rain.  31 miles, 1240ft climb, 5hrs (i'm slow) and need a tea break.  Alport Heights (Peak District) and back.   Hard work on a Bromton but the views are spectacular.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
    • Musings of a Gentleman Cyclist
« Reply #22827 on: February 03, 2020, 07:57:35 pm »
20 miles on the Thorn tandem with Stoker Rob. We tried his tandem to start with but its bars were too low for me. Stefan, who previously rode it, has dropped bars on his solo machine. We did about a quarter of a mile but turned back and got my tandem instead. Because I was expecting to use Rob's tandem, I didn't put the Garmin on the front. A bit breezy with the sun trying, but failing, to find its way through the clouds. Coffee in Great Wakering.

We put Rob's new stoker bars on my bike and left them on to give Jan a try, which we hope to do tomorrow.

I am starting to have trouble getting my leg over the cross bar without a kerb to stand on. I might have to start packing a small folding step stool in the luggage. Bloody anno domini.
Oh, Bach without any doubt. Bach every time for me.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #22828 on: February 05, 2020, 04:53:04 am »
And 6 miles or so with Jan, her first ride of the year. We went to the LBS and ordered some new bars.

« Reply #22829 on: February 05, 2020, 02:10:04 pm »
Yesterday I got out. It wasn't a spectacular ride in any sense, around 50Km, but it is likely my first non-utility ride for almost a year - going out for the fun of the ride. Well, it wasn't strictly non-utilitarian as I was picking up something from the badlands of Sarf Lundon (Forest Hill qualifies, doesn't it?) and, as ever, my encyclopaedic knowledge of the geography south of the thames added a few km to the jaunt. I survived it, including the A2 up Blackheath Hill, and I enjoyed it (maybe not Blackheath Hill). Maybe I ought to do this cycling thing more often.

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #22830 on: February 06, 2020, 06:24:52 pm »
About 25 miles with Rebecca NOTP, from Wickford Station, around Hanningfield Reservoir. The tea room at the Fishing Lodge on the way out, lunch at the White Hart, Margaretting Tye, which I thought was pricier and with a far smaller choice than the last time I was there. I reckon it may have changed hands, which is a shame. It used to be one of my favourite pubs, but the bar staff no longer go out the back to the tap room to fill a glass from a barrel lying on its side. We had a second tea room at the Essex Wildlife Trust establishment, also at Hanningfield Reservoir, on the way back.

The weather couldn't have been better - unbroken sunshine- but on the cool side. I kept my thinsulate gloves on all day although the Tilley Hat got an airing. We included a bit of COR not far from the Great Baddow Marconi Tower which I hadn't intended to use, but pointed it out to Rebecca with the comment "I decided not to use that as I thought it would be too muddy."

"It doesn't look too bad. Shall we give it a try?"

As I pointed out to her as we were cleaning all the gloop off our bikes afterwards, that was a cunning ruse to make it All Her Fault.  :demon:

We saw a couple of kestrels, a lot of ducks, geese, gulls & cormorants, an assortment of tits on the bird feeders, and I heard quite a few goldcrests as we were riding along.

Brilliant day.

« Reply #22831 on: February 07, 2020, 10:04:02 am »
Yesterday did 60 km in the Wolds.  Very pleasant, almost spring like.  This time lots of squirrels, one in kamikaze mode.

There are some good hills to climb and I was tackling this long, unremitting 16% single track climb out of Thixendale to Fridaythorpe.  I'd not seen a car for miles.  Was doing very nicely when an oncoming motor appeared and stopped to let me by with about 100m to spare.  So I climbed asap up to it and gave it a wave then eased off a bit to recover.  Immediately a white van appears and also stops to let me by with masses to spare.  I jump on the pedals and get by asap with statutory wave.  That was a real effort but I'm still in there and ease off a bit to recover..  Of course then another white van appears and stops, again with far too much distance to spare.  Whilst I could have struggled up to it, fortunately there is a passing place 50m on so I pull in for a break and let the van go.  It has something on the side like 'Green Energy Solutions' so I guess they were all in convoy - in the last place I'd want to meet one.  No more cars for miles again once I reached the top.

I get about a mile on the flattish road and then it's a 16% descent, all that effort.. 

Sic transit and all that..

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #22832 on: February 08, 2020, 06:09:15 pm »
Only my second day out ride of the year, bright and sunny over t' Humber Bridge. The storm hasn't got here yet.

Saturday ride 080220 by John Jackson, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #22833 on: February 08, 2020, 08:47:56 pm »
Eventful Origami ride to Consall, featuring mud, wind, Bostin' Baps[1], unexpected steam trains[2], a couple of visitations and no less than four offs:  Nasty patch of tree-grease on a steep descent, which I skipped over at speeds in excess of R17 without incident, before failing to bunny-hop a drainage channel.  The first victim took out the second on his way down.  The third lost her front wheel while slowing down to hear the person warning that it was slippery.  I didn't witness the fourth.  Assorted mud-splatter and minor injuries.

[1] I'm suspicious that this may be a triumph of alliteration over geography, as any fule knows a bap is a cob in "bostin'" territory.
[2] The railway was closed, but some men in orange hi-vis were running a train anyway, presumably for training or testing purposes.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

« Reply #22834 on: February 08, 2020, 09:08:50 pm »
After Thursday's hills did a nice flat run south of York.  The sustrans path out is like a washboard with all the tree roots and far too many dog walkers, too so I won't use that again! 

Pushing into the wind out bound but made good progress and coming back it was like being the pea in a pea-shooter.  Plenty other cyclists out, too. 

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #22835 on: February 09, 2020, 08:52:06 am »
55k coffee run with El Prez. Cold & sunny. Coffee shop was bleh: the coffee tasted as if the machine hadn't been cleaned for a month, El Prez's doughnut was too greasy and the cheesecake was dry. :sick:  Only other incident of note was a nitwit with a phone glued to his ear and a barely-controlled dog that nearly had El Prez off his bike. No harm done but feathers ruffled.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #22836 on: February 10, 2020, 03:51:50 pm »
Just spent the weekend up at Hartington Hall, YHA, in t'peak district, and yes we did go out Fri, Sat,and Sunday. on Sunday we went along the high peak and Tissington trails, as well as some serious ruff stuff, (on my tourer) and the weather was , well you can guess what it was like on the exposed areas, riding along in a line, all at a 30 deg angle into a side wind. Scary? yes, Fun? THE most exhilarating cycling I have ever done.  ;)

« Reply #22837 on: February 10, 2020, 08:29:26 pm »
I have just got back from a 23. 4kmlocal ride ave 12.11km. The wind is still a bit strong at times  :o :)

Wowbagger

• Dez's butler
« Reply #22838 on: February 14, 2020, 05:03:02 pm »
An 11 mile round trip with Rob on the Thorn tandem. I am struggling to get my leg over.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #22839 on: February 16, 2020, 07:42:34 am »
Not actually been "out" on it for two weeks, turbo trainer and netflix again this weekend
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #22840 on: February 16, 2020, 08:20:57 am »
Yesterday, an 82k coffee toddle with El Prez. A bit of a headwind going but nothing remarkable, nice for coming home. Around 13°C most of the way.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
    • Snakehips' Bikes
« Reply #22841 on: February 16, 2020, 08:40:23 pm »
Don't you just love it when the sun comes out just as it is about to set! Managed a 12 miler dodging puddles (well almost) in the gathering gloom.
Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #22842 on: February 17, 2020, 08:37:44 am »
Oh aye: just a quick loop and you come home with the bike dirtier than after PBP.

« Reply #22843 on: February 18, 2020, 09:47:47 pm »
Went and did 26km today after work. It were grim on the top of them hills west of Sheffield

« Reply #22844 on: February 21, 2020, 12:27:39 am »
closest I have come to a proper winters day out this season.  +2 when I set off, -1c when I got back 5 hours later.  Could of done with the snow actually lying but never the less it was great to feel it on my face.  Just love these brutal wild days on the road

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #22845 on: February 22, 2020, 05:27:11 pm »
Bit blustery today, tailwind coming home though. Very noisy on the Humber bridge, almost lost my hat. Baked potato in the Honeypot cafe Barton.

« Reply #22846 on: February 22, 2020, 08:50:36 pm »
Very windy. Got stopped by the police at deeply flooded dip with a fast-flowing stream going across. They said they had to be there because some drivers believed themselves to had miraculous powers.  Apparently it's very rare that they do.

T42

• Tea tank
« Reply #22847 on: February 23, 2020, 08:54:07 am »
50-odd km yesterday. Would've liked twice that but wind was so horrible that when I got home I was as knackered as I would've been after 100. Lots of trees down or broken in the forest, mostly from Ciara but a few looked fresh.

Socks

• FFCT rally, France 2012
« Reply #22848 on: February 23, 2020, 06:46:48 pm »
So nice to get out today after a couple of weeks off the bike (weather - rain, wind, cold).  West along the Tyne valley from Newburn to Corbridge.  Then a loop up towards Stamfordham and back to Newburn, with the increasingly strong wing behind us.

« Reply #22849 on: February 23, 2020, 08:09:35 pm »
About 8 miles with jhonathan notp to Dorney garden centre and back ave approx 5mph on Saturday and 63 km. Out to Henley and back though Marlow and Cookham at a ave of 12.4km with bjorn notp today using the sun ez3  :)