Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2689257 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22875 on: March 04, 2020, 11:54:23 pm »
Cracking day up on the tops, but the blue sky soon deteriorated leaving endless sameness - pretty dam cold as well.
think I seen two logging lorries and a car all day, mostly I love the remoteness but other times....

« Reply #22876 on: March 05, 2020, 11:38:44 pm »
200 km around Durham and Northumberland (there's a thread here: https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=114643.0)

A moderately glorious day to be out, just a touch of wind, but chilly, especially in the dark on the return (more on that later).

The new road I'm relying on isn't finished yet, and I had to divert along the A68, which currently has a contraflow along the dual carriageway. Getting out of Darlo to the north-west is shit at the moment.

I always thought of this route as not-really-weekday-friendly, but once I was past Bishop, passing Kinrin and the castle, there was really no traffic to speak of. Actually, it was eerie once I crossed the Tyne and the A69. To complete the ghost-town vibe, the cafe at Capheaton was shut. Not to worry, I had plenty of snacks, which got me down to Gregg's in Hexham.

By the way, NCN72 (part of the Sandstone Way) makes a lovely route into Hexham, between the river and the railway, under the A69 and generally avoiding the grotsome roads around Hexham.

From Hexham, the route goes up and up away from the Tyne, and a stomach-full of Greggs goodies is not ideal for that (one reason I have the control at the cyclists' cafe in Capheaton), but I'd been taking it easy all day, and there was no reason to change, except that I was chasing the daylight by now, since I left Darlo fairly late to let the traffic clear a bit.

Over to Blanchland, and over again to Rookhope Arch, I was trying to think what these hills are called, but I suppose that you wouldn't bother naming all of the pebbles on the beach either.

Race Yate is what I've always called the hill over to Westgate out of Rookhope. It has a solid northern ring, redolent of leadmining and rushing waters, and I'm sticking with it. It's a tough climb regardless, and the descent into Westgate is narrow, steep, and covered in slurry.

There's a scene in Julian Barnes's Staring at the Sun which I always remember - a WWII pilot is high, high above the clouds and sees the sun rise, then dives, and sees the sun rise again. I nearly recreated this in reverse, seeing the sun set on the descent to Rookhope Arch, but no being quite quick enough to catch it up again on the climb.

Weardale is for hillbaggers. The name of every climb out of it should sing in the ears of every road cyclist. Today's route was Swinhope Head. Well, after negotiating the footbridge next to the ford in Westgate. I didn't like the look of that water.

The sign, though, told me that the road was closed - snow drifts.

I nearly went back to Stanhope, then over Bollihope (it's ploughed and gritted, and a bit lower than Swinhope's peak of 2000-and-some feet), but there was a light on in the B&B at the foot of the climb, and I went to bother the couple halfway through their dinner. They were lovely - they weren't sure themselves if the road was clear, but the wifie called the shepherd who lives up the hill, while the husband offered me tea. I refused, reluctantly, but the light was fading, and I did need to get going.

The shepherd's verdict was that I'd be fine, with some pushing.

It was about three-quarters of a mile to a mile's pushing, in the end. I'm not sure if it was any quicker than the diversion would have been, but I doubt I'll regret those quiet moments of moonlight and snow up on the hills.

« Reply #22877 on: March 08, 2020, 07:07:13 am »
30km around the, well up past then back down beside the same side of the Talybont reservoir. Me on my trusty thorn club tour, my brother on his Marin rigid town bike from about 20 years ago and four others on hire bikes.

Very very very slow on the long drag up as some of the guys hadn't ridden in years. An embarrassing bit in the posh tearoom at the top when we had  to take some money back from the tip we had left when we found out was cash only and had just enough cash between us

Then a lovely descent down fire tracks. Fully expected to be at the back with my brother as the others with their suspension, bigger tyres and disc brakes shot off but no we led the way down. Arms were aching when we hit the road and a last few fast k back to Talybont to return the bikes or put onto cars. Hire was £30 for day so glad had my bike but the guy in shop seemed friendly and helpful and don't recall having as much fun as I did on the descent for a long time. Wouldn't have wanted it much rougher but not quite COR and fair play to my brother who thinks he may have cycled 20km last year and had a good go and chasing me up and down a few bits

« Reply #22878 on: March 08, 2020, 01:25:43 pm »
Yes! First ride in 2 months. :o It was actually quite pleasant, and blue sky was even spotted at one point. Pity about the headwind on the way out, but a tailwind back is always better. I should really make a habit of this cycling lark! :facepalm:

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #22879 on: March 08, 2020, 06:46:52 pm »
An afternoon of Hill bashing.  Slightly faster than last weeks dismal effort despite quite a bit of off road in the forest.  It would have been nice to have hit 1000mtrs but there was no way at all my back was allowing a single second more.  I know I've done bugger all since August but really, it shouldn't hurt this much and certainly the discomfort shouldn't be so one sided.  Think a call to the osteopath is in order tomorrow.

Pain a little reduced after:
Long soak in the bath with Epsom salts.
Ibuprofen
Highland Park Single Malt muscle relaxant
2020 targets: None
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #22880 on: March 09, 2020, 11:56:45 pm »
Had an afternoon over in Berwickshire (nice flat roads) . Cracking day weatherwise, bright warm sunshine intermitted with wild icy cold downpours.  Got 59 in which is always a good start for the week.  Clouded over just after the sun went down so didn't get the joy of watching the stars pop out one by one,  but then it did clear giving me an hour under a big night sky - helps a bit with route finding as the myrid of roads over there can get confussing.

« Reply #22881 on: March 11, 2020, 12:08:06 am »
Another day of wind rain and sunshine

crossing into England

Can see Scotland again though

Best moment of the ride - pork pie time

« Reply #22882 on: March 12, 2020, 12:00:11 am »
Some day today, had three hours of rain.  water was running down the crack of my .... by the time I was finnished.

But one fabulous moment, mid twighlight heading up onto the moor I was passing a field where there was a lot of Lapwings, just love watching and listening to Lapwings, stopped for about 5 minutes, just wonderful, and there was also a wonderful bonus of a Snipe making that tremendous 'Drumming' noise.  Its a very strange, even spooky moorland noise that they make in flight with their tail feathers.

Worth listening out for, found this on wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gallinago_gallinago.ogg

« Reply #22883 on: March 13, 2020, 12:08:42 am »
Last ride of the week, a 52 miler taking me up to 174 for the week (a few extra miles above my target 150 per week)
Looking forward to having Fri and Saturday off now - beach tomorrow - yippee

Lots of surface water after wednesdays deluge.

some off road bits, lucky there is a bridge, the stream was in full flow

What a rainbow, looked fantastic in real life, camrea hasnt captured its vibrant colours

worn out and sill 5 mile to go.

anyway, there we have it a typical week out on my roads,  I will do another weeks worth of on the road pictures in April, see if it looks a bit more spring like. 

« Reply #22884 on: March 15, 2020, 04:06:17 pm »
Windy 100km solo loop round some lanes up to Bridge of Allan.  A fairly grim puncture on the Carron Valley just as a shower blew through, but it brightened after that, and the remaining 70km were dry. Slow slow ascent of the crow to finish it off. No cafe stops, and i forgot my snack, but some of my wifes spicy parsnip soup really hit the spot when I got home.

« Reply #22885 on: March 15, 2020, 04:26:10 pm »
About three miles but was on tandem with my eldest who is just big enough to pedal. Much fun and singing of "daisy daisy"

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #22886 on: March 15, 2020, 07:13:55 pm »
Just short of 30 miles. I was thinking of redefining my vehicle as a Weathervane on the way out and it was uphill as well. I so much wanted to ride out to Middleton in Teesdale but gave up because Headwind/tired. Got home feeling exceedingly wobbly. Fearing the worst I checked my temperature. 32.3!!!! A warm drink, some sugar and a warm bath and it had gone up to 36.5. I think my temperature regulation is all over the place. I blame my ovaries.

The hedgerows are on the very edge of an explosion of green. My favourite time of year.
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• *** fool in a hurry
« Reply #22887 on: March 16, 2020, 02:05:32 pm »
29k of a projected 50, cut short when my front tyre went bang and I was deposited somewhat emphatically on the road, after doing the usual display of freestyle acrobatics.  Minor damage to self - couple of nails torn & bloody, left side scraped & tenderized in divers parts - but bike looks OK apart from an STI lever twisted out of line.  Tyre has a lovely split in it, yet to be further investigated (see above under nails). Major annoyance was the screw ring on the head of my Road Morph pump taking to the undergrowth and refusing to come out again, but Topeak, bless their cotton socks & woolly knickers, sell a rebuild kit so that's now on order.

Sitting back now waiting for the paracetamol to wear off.
I've dusted all those old bottles and set them up straight.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #22888 on: March 16, 2020, 02:26:35 pm »
Sorry to hear that T42, hope your recovery goes well.

Ever considered a velomobile? 3 wheels, wind and rain protection and mega fast!
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

T42

• *** fool in a hurry
« Reply #22889 on: March 16, 2020, 02:31:34 pm »
Sorry to hear that T42, hope your recovery goes well.

Ever considered a velomobile? 3 wheels, wind and rain protection and mega fast!

Thanks, Auntie H.  Yes, some years ago I was quite interested, although more in an unfaired tadpole at the time. Beyond my budget now, though - retired with daughter howling for gelt.  Kids - the gift that keeps on giving taking.

« Reply #22890 on: March 16, 2020, 04:00:54 pm »
Just a couple of hours hill bashing in Upper Weardale/Rookhope.
Even quieter on the roads than usual. Making the most of it in case "they" decide to ban cycling.
Happily the chance of seeing a police car up here is remote....

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #22891 on: March 16, 2020, 04:25:34 pm »
Nice loop out to Tintern and Redbrook.  I put my back out in January, I think last week's festival of pain must have been it resetting itself because today was much, much, much less hurty.
2020 targets: None
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #22892 on: March 16, 2020, 05:22:16 pm »
58 km in the Wolds with 801m climbing. 

Rather cloudy with a biting wind and I got a puncture.  Maybe marathons are not as puncture proof as I thought, that's three this year already.  The only cyclist who passed offered assistance but I was doing fine so I just thanked him for taking the trouble.

Sic transit and all that..

Socks

• Clennel Street on my touring bike
« Reply #22893 on: March 18, 2020, 10:17:14 am »
On Monday - a thirty mile loop to enjoy a mild, sunny day.  And also to test out a second hand recumbent (Optima Orca) that I acquired off that fleabay, and have been setting up to suit my preferences.  The route covered a good mixture of surfaces and gradients, including former railway paths along the Derwent valley; a long climb over Whittonstall to the Tyne valley; then another former railway and various quiet lanes back round to the start.  No visits to cafes or pubs, I took my own food and drink.

Back home to the news about new moves on Covid 19.  Audax and group rides are no longer an option for the foreseeable future and I've been following the discussions on this forum and elsewhere about the wisdom / ethics of leisure cycling.  Unless further restrictions come in I've taken the decision to continue with rides like this, minimizing the risks of making any demands on the NHS by using the railway paths and / or quiet roads.  And taking my own food and drink instead of using cafes or pubs. 

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #22894 on: March 18, 2020, 03:25:55 pm »
29k of a projected 50, cut short when my front tyre went bang and I was deposited somewhat emphatically on the road, after doing the usual display of freestyle acrobatics.  Minor damage to self - couple of nails torn & bloody, left side scraped & tenderized in divers parts - but bike looks OK apart from an STI lever twisted out of line.  Tyre has a lovely split in it, yet to be further investigated (see above under nails). Major annoyance was the screw ring on the head of my Road Morph pump taking to the undergrowth and refusing to come out again, but Topeak, bless their cotton socks & woolly knickers, sell a rebuild kit so that's now on order.

Ouch! One of the good things about Topeak is precisely that they do sell spares.
Faster than a walk, slower than a train, often slightly higher than a person. (David Byrne)

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #22895 on: March 18, 2020, 03:30:45 pm »
I decided to indulge in a bit of self-isolating in Richmond Park. Was surprised to see rather more people than usual doing the same.
Mustn't grumble in the circumstances .

« Reply #22896 on: March 18, 2020, 03:34:15 pm »
Last night for a very short jaunt. 8pm was more like 2am with hardly anyone or any cars about. Shame the ones that were seemed in such a rush except the one that wouldn't overtake so felt compelled to push a bit harder uphill

T42

• *** fool in a hurry
« Reply #22897 on: March 18, 2020, 05:01:24 pm »

Ouch! One of the good things about Topeak is precisely that they do sell spares.

...which arrived today and actually matched the pump!

Duly fitted in time for... absolutely nothing. :(

Cudzoziemiec

• Eating all the pies and drinking all the tea.
« Reply #22898 on: March 18, 2020, 06:11:23 pm »
There's still maintenance. And spare tyres to keep inflated. And in a few months there'll be cycling (better check your waterproofs...  ;))
Faster than a walk, slower than a train, often slightly higher than a person. (David Byrne)

« Reply #22899 on: March 18, 2020, 06:19:34 pm »
I did. I'm working from home for the foreseeable as I'm in an at risk group. Decided as I didn't have to mess about with trains I'd do a virtual commute. I left it till 11 to avoid morning traffic.

Intended an hour but did about ninety minutes in the end, just a couple close to home loops as didn't trust one of the tyres.

First ride since Jan and only my third this year :(

Hoping to do the same tomorrow.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1