Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 2369397 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #22900 on: March 18, 2020, 06:31:15 pm »
A little 10 mile loop in the slough area on the e trice. First non  utility ride I have ridden for a fortnight   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #22901 on: March 19, 2020, 03:37:02 pm »
Just about 20 miles in glorious sunshine on the almost deserted roads of the Durham Dales.
Making the most of it before "they" decide to lock up the over70s, healthy or not.

« Reply #22902 on: March 19, 2020, 05:23:11 pm »
Lovely route out and round the south side of Glasgow, 108k in glorious conditions and empty roads. It felt like a bank holiday  :) Bike was going like a dream with new non lubed cables  :P
https://www.strava.com/activities/3197717384
Mind of a cyclist, body of a dart player.

« Reply #22903 on: March 19, 2020, 08:17:29 pm »
Got out at lunchtime for a not very quick 15 miles.

Wondering if now is the time to strip the good bike down completely and fit the BB, chain rings, cassette, etc that I bought back in 2015.

I can do it piecemeal whilst I'm working from home.

I'll still have my commute/camping bike for the interim.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #22904 on: March 19, 2020, 08:47:42 pm »
After work I did 25km. I went out and road up 3 of the sharpest climbs I can think of close to Hillsborough.

Hagg Hill - https://www.strava.com/segments/1217455
Rails Road - https://www.strava.com/segments/4480150
Cote de Bradfield - https://www.strava.com/segments/7623869

All 3 stay well over 10% for the duration. Such ludicrous roads. Lots of fun.

« Reply #22905 on: March 20, 2020, 07:17:10 pm »
Off work today so managed to get out into Northumberland for a 55 mile ride.

20 miles out it occurred to me that I hadn't encountered very much traffic so started to keep a mental note.  From mile 20 to mile 48 I was passed by precisely 3 vehicles and 2 of those were on a short stretch of main road that I needed to use.  After 48 miles I was back into the outskirts of Newcastle so the traffic level increased rather markedly.

Another interesting thing was that although I didn't see many cars I did meet a few lambing farmers, a few folk out walking, some horse riders and other cyclists and every one of them was so friendly.  With all of them cheerful hello's and wavers were exchanged and I even had a pleasant chat with one of the farmers.  All and all a pleasant ride, oh, and the sun was out.       

« Reply #22906 on: March 21, 2020, 03:02:31 pm »
ICBA in this wind (I'll get on the turbo later as my cheapo heart monitor has turned up) but there were lots of cyclists out when I went over to my parents' house*.

*to be precise, within shouting distance of the front door, as they're 74 and 82.
And Darkness and Decay and the Coronavirus held illimitable dominion over all.

« Reply #22907 on: March 21, 2020, 03:20:15 pm »
About 40 miles, in the sunshine, on the road bike. Howling tailwind back through the Harlseys, lovely.

« Reply #22908 on: March 21, 2020, 10:41:11 pm »
~150km in the Peak district. South from Sheffield down past Chatsworth and on towards Ilam, that area is super scenic. Then back north via Tideswell. Passed through Eyam which I felt was ironic/poignant given the current circumstance and up through Grindleford back into Sheffield.

Bloody good day, lots of climbing and scenery.

« Reply #22909 on: March 22, 2020, 08:10:27 am »
28 miles down to Bathurst Arms pub near Cirencester (no, I didn't go in) and did a R T
onto the A435 back to the Centre for the Cotswolds. 470 metres of climbing.

TimC

• Bike (ex)pilot
« Reply #22910 on: March 22, 2020, 12:11:19 pm »
28 miles down to Bathurst Arms pub near Cirencester (no, I didn't go in) and did a R T
onto the A435 back to the Centre for the Cotswolds. 470 metres of climbing.

The Bathurst is run by friends of mine who used to run my local in deepest rural Essex (The Henny Swan). Once all this is over, and if I've managed to survive unscathed and solvent, I will go down and visit. Possibly even by bike!

« Reply #22911 on: March 22, 2020, 03:02:06 pm »
Out over Saddleworth today - cold to start with but glorious sunshine. Lots of motorcycles out, singly and in packs. Shooting range above Meltham busy.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #22912 on: March 24, 2020, 09:16:53 am »
Went out for an hour just before sunset, nice temperature and very quiet streets. Got in the door, my phone went and it was the NHS 'stay at home for 12 weeks' text. Fun while it lasted!
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #22913 on: March 24, 2020, 02:43:06 pm »
Cycled to the pharmacy for Mrs A's repeat prescription like wot I normally do.  It now shuts for lunch and had a queue outside, so I did a an extra circuit and the queue had hardly moved.  I was pleased that it was a one-in-one-out system but I decided to try another day since she still has a weeks worth in hand.  Nice to have a short run on amazingly quiet roads. 
Sic transit and all that..

TimC

• Bike (ex)pilot
« Reply #22914 on: March 24, 2020, 04:41:38 pm »
I went out for a short ride and passed through the local small town. The town was quiet, including the Co-op and Boots, and the out-of-town Morrison's was also quiet. The by-pass was fairly busy, with a surprising number of multiple-occupancy cars, but I have no idea where they were going to or coming from. Quite a few people out walking and more bike riders than I'd normally expect on a weekday, but that's not saying much. I probably saw a person every two miles or so. No-one was acknowledging anyone else, for the most part, but I did get a very cheery 'hello' from one lady runner.

I am very glad that I live in an area of the countryside where houses are rare and people keep themselves to themselves even under normal circumstances.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #22915 on: March 24, 2020, 05:10:33 pm »
Work has shut down, so after some chores went for a little trike loop around local back lanes, Stone Creek and East Bank road for about 18 miles.
Nice sun, though a breeze blowing; saw my first butterfly of this year, and a couple of buzzards soaring. Traffic pretty light as noted by others, a few walkers out.

Kim

• Timelord
« Reply #22916 on: March 24, 2020, 07:36:37 pm »
First ride in short sleeves, mitts and 3/4s.   :thumbsup:

More muggle cyclists today.  Sensible queueueing outside shops.  Fewer walkers, who seemed to be in ones and twos (plus dogs) rather than larger groups.  Still quite a lot of people driving around, but less traffic than you'd expect on a Sunday.  Standing at the end of your driveway (or on the pavement outside your house) fiddling with a phone appears to have become a thing.

What really struck me was a busker playing a cora on King[']s Heath high street.  Without amplification.  They're not a particularly loud instrument.
Careful, Kim. Your sarcasm's showing...

Cudzoziemiec

• Waking up now, put the kettle on!
« Reply #22917 on: March 24, 2020, 08:17:37 pm »
What really struck me was a busker playing a cora on King[']s Heath high street.  Without amplification.  They're not a particularly loud instrument.
When I rule the world, there will always be a busker on the high street. But only some will play the cora.

I only managed a couple of short walks around the immediate neighbourhood, but the sunshine did me good and I saw more skateboarders than cars.
I do not ride a great big Mercian, gangster tanwalls, fixed cog in the back.

« Reply #22918 on: March 24, 2020, 09:14:41 pm »
Just over an hour in the lanes with my wife.  Lovely light and sunset and last 20 minutes returning in the encroaching dusk.
If you don’t make time for exercise now, sooner or later you’ll need to make time for ill health.

« Reply #22919 on: March 25, 2020, 02:21:01 pm »
Took the bike trailer to Tescies to top up.   Long, long queue so I went away to come back another day. 

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #22920 on: March 25, 2020, 02:29:31 pm »
Not yet. I will deliver mutual aid leaflets a little later. Will then do a short ride on a local hill loop with my #mindthegap number sheet on.

YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

« Reply #22921 on: March 26, 2020, 10:33:27 am »
Cycled to the pharmacy for Mrs A's repeat prescription like wot I normally do.  Take 2.

This time a queue of three so I waited.  It still took ages as they seem to be very busy making little packages of something other than prescriptions.  The person in front of me wanted paracetamol and voltarol but it still took a while to find them.

Social distancing:  8/10.

Mrs A grows increasingly concerned I am not keeping far enough away from people on my outings.

« Reply #22922 on: March 26, 2020, 01:06:47 pm »
was out yesterday. 21.1 deg C on the Garmin. S-sleeves, shorts, no mitts. Few cars about but people in them speeding/on phones. Shops calm and 1 in/out and stuff on the shelves because of limits

« Reply #22923 on: March 28, 2020, 02:59:46 pm »
About 8km into town with the trailer to collect my new turbo trainer. Weighs 20kg so just getting it home was a good workout with a brisk headwind.

diapsaon0

• Advena ego sum in terra
« Reply #22924 on: March 29, 2020, 03:26:58 pm »
About 5 miles through the town and back along the canal towpath.  Lots of cars near supermarkets and their car parks are jammed full.  Town otherwise is deadly quiet.  A lot of people on the tow path - dog walkers and bikes - apart from one idiot on a moped with no helmet.  Most people being very careful about 6 feet gap. Incredibly windy and COLD!
Advena ego sum in Terra